Manual Editing Of The Waveform In Sample Editor (ala Fasttracker 2)

hm, i tried dblue’s (or bytesmash0r’s, or the-guy-who-made-this-one-song-with-no-vst-instruments-and-no-samples-at-all’s) idea with a VERY VERY (nearly the lowest there is) frequency.

the result was a clean sine wave, i don’t think it gets much “cleaner”. BUT i had to pitch the sample up 2 octaves like 4-5 times (can’t remember exactly) AND in the end i didn’t know what pitch i ended up with.
it was some pitch, that was for sure, but i had no clue what.

i just looked up what the lpc frequency of the lfo means (i though sumthing with cent): it means lines per cycle. AHAHAHAHA. so i have to calculate how many hertz one line does have at my current bpm+speed, then go from there and calculate my lfo rate. then i can sort of say what hertz number i’ve ended up with. (after “pitching” the lfo’ed dc-signal into an audible frequency)

hm. can somebody tell me what speed/bpm/lpc essemble is needed to come up with something that can be (in octave steps) “cleanly” pitched up to 440hz? 0o (assuming perfect sample cutting)

ANYWHO, +1 for wavedrawing function and some basic waveforms.

you can try chip32 VSTi instead to draw your chip samples…

http://www.geocities.jp/sam_kb/Chip32/index.html
(or here - http://www.dontcrack.com/freeware/download…ftware/Chip32/))

Indeed.
BTW Thanks for your descriptive post on the issue.

You can smooth those waveforms with a few stacked lowpass filters.

Be careful of playing too low frequencies on loud, good speakers. I don’t feel too crash hot ATM… :-S

EDIT: wow, 3.5hz on sony in-ear earphones feels dangerous to life. Not sure if that’s cool or just me tripping balls on sounds I can feel more than hear

check out NeuroTiX’s attempt to a sampleless XRNS:

Nervosismi da inconstanza nel viaggiare

I’ll tell you what it’s good for. It’s good for directly making the wave you want.

• Can’t draw a perfect sine wave? No, but you can get pretty close by hand. So draw one cycle by hand, add low-pass filter to a track which passes up to roughly that frequency, run DSP on the sample and you WILL have a perfect sine-wave.
  • Want a square wave? Make a sinewave and amp the crap out of it.
  • Saw-wave? If the drawing allows shift-clicking for straight lines, I’m sure you can imagine that would be two clicks and you’re done. Similar for triangle.

Isn’t this a whole lot faster and more direct than scrounging around for that sine-wave or square sample you KNOW you have, but where is it etc.

The best part: you can start writing music fast on anybody’s system. No VSTi’s to worry about, no whoops forgot to bring my instrument collection, etc.

Yes I know this can be achieved by mucking with DC offset and record-to-sample-ing that, but this is so much quicker.

Agreed. Yet a simple waveform generator is an easier way, both to implement and to use.

What you have mentioned here is pure arithmetical logic and idealistically accepted, but you know that even if it was possible to have a screen resolution of 16777216 px in height, it would’ve been a headache to edit samples by hand, and nearly impossible. But as you know (due to your magical sampleless xrns) many can wield manual sample editting to create incredible results.

AAMOF many things in renoise cannot achieve the perfect resolution, consider the hight of automation panel… Thanks God (also taktik ;)) that we are able to enter the values manually :)