MBC 14 Theme poll

There is a Cat Synthesizer out there in hardware, could be fun : D

1 Like

I hope there will be a theme. Without a theme, the contest would be a “put what you want there”, and people could put a track already done 10 years ago.

I also like the classic rules. Bonus points for sharing XRNS. Even more bonus points for all native tracks. That seems fair to me. But it’s subjective, of course.

2 Likes

Synth1 really is fun and capable of surprisingly analog sound. So I am not defending TNT, but simply agreeing. Did not even read all posts. Maybe the topic is lame, some better ideas?

Is Synth1 known to run on Linux? I’m using yabridge, got it registered through that but can’t see it in renoise yet…

Doesn’t run on Linux natively.

1 Like

oh ok. What about Surge XT then? Maybe even more fun !

1 Like

Surge works und es reimt sich.

Oh yes, Vital would be indeed the most fun. Lith doesn’t exist on Linux.

1 Like

Vital also exits.

love vital, but it’s such a cpu hog on my machine

If mutant cats wins, which is looking likely at this point, there will be some stipulation that makes for new tracks only

That 's true and I find it doesn’t integrate well. But that’s my fault most likely

Vital is the only VST next to Serum I could imagine doing sound design from scratch and having kinda fun, even though I still would prefer using presets as a starting point and continue with designing the sound from there. In contrary Surge XT looks like it would take some time to get into it, it has a very uncommon GUI. Both VSTs aren’t that old and there aren’t many presets available, so no one, not even the biggest sound design (tracker) nerd, could claim that anyone is “cheating” respectively “paying to win”, unless you’re using drums or drum samples you didn’t create yourself, like for example a well known 808 kick as a sample. And that’s exactly what I would do. So no extra points according to the following rule made by ffx:

There’s simply no way to create an equal drum sound from scratch within an ordinary synth. Not to mention the time that sound design takes. Better browse through your sample collection and you’ll quickly find the sound you’re looking for. Why should someone do unnecessary work? It’s not possible to reinvent the wheel, not even as a sound design GOD. Even most preset banks sound at least similar, if not to say exactly the same, regardless of the synth. It depends on the musician’s creative skills how a song will sound in the end.

It’s self-explanatory, isn’t it? :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Well, you’d think it would go without saying, but we had someone contribute a (great) old track last year. I’m thinking at least one cat sample required per track :smirk_cat:

Or a custom, hand sewn, bespoke, native devices only cat synth, with xrni, lol

I would suggest what I already suggested in my first post. There should be at least one (cat) sample any participant has to use. This way everyone would have the same conditions. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Edit: I’m down for that. I’ve actually got a decent one in mind… hmmm…

Have you tried updating your copy? Vital used to bring my machine to its knees pretty easily too, but then a somewhat recent update somehow fixed that. It’s still hungry, but it’s not as bad as it used to be.

2 Likes

+1 :+1: for at least one cat sample required per submission! :smirk_cat:

I’m also up for the only one synth challenge if people want to do that. Vital, Surge XT or Synth1 are all cool with me. :+1:
Or we could do something really absurd, like Alieno or DelayLama (or whatever it’s called :grin:) etc. Dexed is also pretty cool out of the older free ones, basically a DX7 emu. Kinda limited in some sense, but still pretty cool and would probably work pretty well with plugin grapper.

EDIT: I just remembered that Lazerbass is also free with the Komplete start bundle thingy:

Definitely not the most versatile synth around, but damn does it sound nice with them digital textures! :drooling_face:

2 Likes

Or how about Spitfire Labs:

Some really nice sounds in there that would make this compo super interesting! :yum:

1 Like

Of course you csn do proper drums with a synth like Vital. Maybe not so much with Synth1, because it introduces randomness all the time. Yes, it is more work, hence more points.