MBC 14 voting thread! 😺

Alright y’all. Time to vote for your favorites. please list your top 3 picks…

Points (including extra points) will be tallied and prizes distributed randomly among the top 14 participants. The stakes are pretty low this year, lol, although the shirt is undoubtably awesome

Prizes!!!:
So far:
•A “renoise… create more music OR ELSE” T-shirt designed and printed by @TNT
see here
•an ounce of organic catnip
•pride and glory
•???

If anyone wants to sweeten the pot by offering additional prizes, it’s not too late. PM me and we can add it in.

Special thanks to @Achenar for curating the official playlist:

Awesome work, everyone. Thanks for participating!!! :heart_eyes_cat: We’ll keep this thread open til Feb 15th or so to give a little time for people to listen to everything and get their votes in :v:

3 Likes

PR0T0TYPE
SimulatedXen
Kara Kusa

1 Like

I assume there is no certain criteria for voting. So I’ll vote according to my personal criteria, which are song idea, composition, production quality, usage and integration of cat samples (the more obvious the better) and of course my personal taste. My top 3 picks are:

Garfferen
HeartBeatHero
Mr.Zensphere

I would also like to give “TNT bonus points” to TheBellows and SimulatedXen for their outstanding varied composition. More obvious cat stuff would probably put them into my top 3.

So basically the winner only gets my shirt besides pride and glory? :medal_sports:

2 Likes

Don’t sleep on the ounce of catnip. That’s some good shit, mang :herb::leopard:

…especially if you’re a cat

1 Like

Do we also win points if we do a mini-review for each track?

3 Likes

hell yeah. +5 points if you review every track in the playlist.

As long as no one objects?

4 Likes

+1 for mini-review points. It’s a really nice way to have everyone receive some feedback. :+1:

2 Likes

What if you already have done that in the MBC thread? Copy and paste in this thread? I think I wrote some words to nearly every track, maybe I’ve forgot one or two. Should I write something new? If I write something new, do I get 10 points because of twice the work? :grin:

2 Likes

Here is the tracklist as text :beers:

Mrkyk - CAT ELECTRO HIP HOP
• zen sphere records • - mr•zensphere •••Power of the Puss•••
AQBree - To Achieve True Homeostasis Is To Achieve Death
Costume Party - MCLF - (MuTaNT•CaTS•LoVe•FReeDoM) (116 BPM)
Panos Kostagiannis - Mating Season-MuTaNT•BReaKS1-14
TheBellows - Sickz Life Leftz
SimulatedXen - Purr Of The Weaver
HeartBeatHero - Cats Forever
Kara Kusa - Fetch With Cobra
Lneheb - Infinite Power of Gwa
Olivier - MuTaNT BReaks 14
Krokodildo Audio - Felix Theme
Adrezonar / TeuTone - Psycadelic Vibes (feat.lilith93)
highway rehab - Loudest Meow
ghismart - We Are The Mutant Cats
PR0T0TYPE - MeowZers!
TNT (FFM) - MBCat
Garfferen - Crouching Dog, Hidden Kitty
soundbike - major cat bromance
Jek - MinHouseCat
Electronic Tiger - The Cat And The Photocopier Incident MBC14
Memory Canyon - Renoise Mutant Breaks #14

6 Likes

yep, that totally works. But let’s do try to consolidate all reviews in this thread if possible

1 Like

New question, for the top 3, do we have to sort our 3 choices?
In other words, do the 3 choices win the same points or is there more points for 1st than for 2nd than for 3rd?

1 Like

No need to sort, but you can if you want to. All picks get a point

prototype / mrkyk / adrezonar

Cool tunes all-round, I feel we are improving :+1:

My points goes to: Mr.Zensphere, TNT and SimulatedXen

@TNT The master of electro strikes back, love the drums in particular and the funny cat scratch.
@slujr Hilarious tune while keeping it cool, great mix as usual.
@SimulatedZen Point given for the impressive glitchy journey into the matrix but the song should have ended at 4:50 :wink:

2 Likes

Can I vote if I didn’t participate?

Here we go!!!

TheBellows—Sickz Life Leftz
Loved the sound design and that beat pulls you in and then spits you out cleverly made.Great mix also

SimulatedXen–Purr Of The Weaver
Probably the best mix in the competition.Great choice of sounds each one serving a purpose.I can tell he went in great lengths to arrange this and the sound design is out of this world!!!

Garfferen-----Crouching Dog, Hidden Kitty
The clever distortion use really did it for me and the sound quality also it has a great flow always kept me engaged and wanted more.

I think this one was one of the best competitions we had around here espessially on the mixing side.Well done guys and girls?Is there a girl in this competition?

3 Likes

My top 3

• SimulatedXen - Purr Of The Weaver - Just mindblowing, I love the glitches and how well everything fits together here. The water and purring in the middle add such a beautiful contrast the main beat

• Jek - MinHouseCat - I really enjoy the chill vibe here and how things build up and dip. The melody at the end is really cute too and fits perfectly with the cat theme.

• TNT (FFM) - MBCat - so badass. Real evil cat / cat boss vibes. Love how the cat sample takes centre stage and the hilarious 911 call too.

Honorable Mentions (honestly these are all awesome and I hope I can learn how to make better tracks from looking at your xrns!)

• Mrkyk - CAT ELECTRO HIP HOP - very nice groove.
  • • zen sphere records • - mr•zensphere •••Power of the Puss••• - great track and hilarious lyrics
  • AQBree - To Achieve True Homeostasis Is To Achieve Death - A real nice brooding theme that has a real soundtrack vibe to me. Also love that buzzy mono bass instrument.
  • Costume Party - MCLF - (MuTaNT•CaTS•LoVe•FReeDoM) (116 BPM) - I like the motif here, would love to hear this expanded, with some drums and variations
  • Panos Kostagiannis - Mating Season-MuTaNT•BReaKS1-14 - I like the way the cat sample has been used here, very twisted!
  • TheBellows - Sickz Life Leftz - This is so epic, such an ambitious piece and I love how the FX sweep in and out.
  • HeartBeatHero - Cats Forever - love when this kicks off halfway in, everything fits together really well.
  • Kara Kusa - Fetch With Cobra - utterly relentless. I imagine this is what’s playing in Cobra’s head as they’re trying to get their toy.
  • Lneheb - Infinite Power of Gwa - It’s great how you’ve taken a bunch of different styles and made something that feels cohesive. And that final section sounds great.
  • Olivier - MuTaNT BReaks 14 - Really nice contemplative vibe - I feel like this could have started around 1:30, that synth and cat(?) really hook me in.
  • Krokodildo Audio - Felix Theme - This has a contemplative, intimate feel that I like. The out of tune break sets a great contrast, it would have been interesting to see that gradually take over the rest of the track in the second half but I don’t know if that would totally take it away from the aesthetic you’ve created here.
  • Adrezonar / TeuTone - Psycadelic Vibes (feat.lilith93) - This is really well structured the use of vocals, really brings this up a notch and gives you a kind of euphoric feel.
  • highway rehab - Loudest Meow - really like the mellow ambient vibe you’ve got here and how the cat samples both stand out and fit in with the vibe of the track.
  • ghismart - We Are The Mutant Cats - I really like the instruments you’ve used here, especially the fuzzy bass and lead synth.
  • PR0T0TYPE - MeowZers! - I have no idea how you pulled off a switch from DnB to Trip hop and back but that is awesome.
  • Garfferen - Crouching Dog, Hidden Kitty - Really like the psychedelic opening, and the gritty drums at the beginning. The main section is great and gives me some serious Mass Effect vibes, I kind of wonder what the gritty drums would have sounded like over that.
  • soundbike - major cat bromance - so uplifting! Really like the guitars as well.
  • Electronic Tiger - The Cat And The Photocopier Incident MBC14 - I feel like the music really matches the title, with the synth at the beginning almost sounding like paper feeling out of a copier…then the cat gets involved and everything starts to gets all fragmented and interdimensional.
8 Likes

yeah, why not

@SimulatedZen SimulatedXen - Just a banger of a track from start to finish. Bonus points for the xrns, extra bonus points for the xrns causing my CPU to spike to 1000%, smoke to pour out of the vents, and the dead to rise from their graves

@Lneheb - the type of track that I would (and do) play loud AF in my car, regardless of it was for a renoise contest or not. XRNS will get studied like a mofo

@slujr - It’s a fantastically composed track, great sounds, great mixing, just a top tier A1 excellent, but it’s also fucking hilarious. I was jamming out to this while doing dishes last night and imagined my wife walking in on it and being completely unable to explain wtf was going on. It’s great.

Will try / aim to leave feedback on all tracks (not really for points - it’s just a good idea, thanks to whomever suggested it).

4 Likes

Ok, I wrote something new. Here are my few words for every track. That means 10 points, right? :wink:

Mrkyk - CAT ELECTRO HIP HOP
Good composition, mix, instrumentation and use of cat sample. It’s just too short and too minimalistic in my opinion.

mr•zensphere •••Power of the Puss•••
That’s a fun track all the way and has a very good mix. I also appreciate the effort of creating a songtext. And I like the usage of cat samples and especially the sound effects after “it’s like”.

AQBree - To Achieve True Homeostasis Is To Achieve Death
It took a while to get into this, but it’s a good tune within its style. I just miss the cat stuff, it’s not really recognizable.

Costume Party - MCLF (MuTaNT•CaTS•LoVe•FReeDoM)
Well… This is neither a song nor has anything to do with cats. I don’t consider this as a fully fledged submission. I’m sorry.

Panos Kostagiannis - Mating Season
I like the symbiosis of different styles, which are becoming one style, your style. Still needs some mixing work. Props for using your own cat samples.

TheBellows - Sickz Life Leftz
Although the mix could be better, it’s an awesome composition, a little journey through different styles in different stages. This tune definitely deserves more attention!

SimulatedXen - Purr Of The Weaver
This tune wins regarding variation and having a good mix at the same time. I enjoyed walking through those different stages. I just think that it would have been nicer with more obvious cat stuff, and the last section of the song is not really my cup of tea. But I especially dig the arps at the beginning.

HeartBeatHero - Cats Forever
Nice composition, nice mix, nice style and the cat sample reminds me of my own (dead) cat waiting and meowing in front of my room door until I open it. Almost brought a tear to my eye. I miss my cat.

Kara Kusa - Fetch With Cobra
I like the dubious atmosphere you’ve created here. Also props for using your own cat samples. In my opinion the tune is too long, 5 minutes max would have been enough.

Lneheb - Infinite Power of Gwa
That’s a crazy mixture of several break styles becoming one song without sounding wrong. Nevertheless it would have been cooler if more cat stuff would have been used.

Olivier - MuTaNT BReaks 14
Nice idea, but the atmosphere could have been much better if the mix wouldn’t be completely off. Furthermore the cat sample is not recognizable as a cat. Nevertheless I like your track. And I know how this tune sounds well mixed.

Krokodildo Audio - Felix Theme
The song reminds me of the cemetery theme of Monkey Island 2, so it fits the reason why you’ve created this tune perfectly. It has its own atmosphere and it’s almost like you can see Felix’ ghost roaming around his grave.

Adrezonar / TeuTone - Psycadelic Vibes (feat.lilith93)
Nice composition and nice mix, but unfortunately there’s absolutely no connection to the cat theme except the little purr at the very end of the song.

highway rehab - Loudest Meow
I really like the “Mouse on Mars” composition and the integration of cat samples, even though the mix is a little bit weak and muddy.

ghismart - We Are The Mutant Cats
This is probably the definition of a fun song. The composition is cool and silly at the same time. I like it, even though I would have preferred stuff from a real cat, not the fake sounds of meow synth.

PR0T0TYPE - MeowZers!
Another tune combining several break styles under the roof of Breakcore. I like the execution within its style and the purr at the beginning sounds like a machine gun (what I also like).

Garfferen - Crouching Dog, Hidden Kitty
Very good production (even though you almost ruined the mix because of the “shaker” between the 3rd and 4th drum hit, which is way too loud), nice Acid usage, cool composition, really nice drum work and the melodies are ace. Garfonic at its best. This is my favorite of the competition.

soundbike - major cat bromance
I like the composition starting at 0:21, the melodies are kinda happy and uplifting. Without the weird intro and with a better mix this could improve a lot.

Jek - MinHouseCat
Except the first break this is a good song within its style, I like its soft atmosphere and how you used the cat samples within the beat. I just think that the song should have ended at 3:37, because the last part doesn’t match the rest of the song.

Electronic Tiger - The Cat And The Photocopier Incident
This is an interesting composition with some mixing issues, but it creates a good atmosphere, especially in between the first and the second part of the song. You know what could have been improved if you would have had more time…

Memory Canyon - Renoise Mutant Breaks #14
I like how the cat samples were processed, especially at the beginning. The tune is too short and the mix needs some work, but it creates a unique atmosphere, which is cool.

8 Likes