MBC #16: Competition Closed --> See the Voting Thread

Time for another Mutant Break Competition? Why not, life is short and they are fun!

Save The Space:
Back in the day computer memory and storage space were at a premium. It has been said that limitation breeds creativity. Let’s put that to the test and make a track with limited sample memory available. In honor of the mighty floppy disk HD, that limit has been set at 1440KiloByte. Use Martblek’s free Low Resource Tool to measure your sample usage. See both the rules and instructions down below for more details.

Competition starts: Now
Competition ends: Sunday February 4th, 2024 Sunday February 11th, 2024 Hawaii Standard Time.

Voting starts: Monday February 12th, 2024 Hawaii Standard Time.
Voting ends: Monday February 26st, 2024 Hawaii Standard Time.

Prizes:
Free custom t-shirt for the winner.

I will also award a t-shirt to whoever impresses me the most when it comes to squeezing the most out of samples without relying on single cycle wave forms.

Only 1 shirt per person. Shipped wherever it can be legally shipped to, free of charge. Winner is responsible for any import duties and custom fees.

Design subject to change.

Rules:

• Use Martblek’s free Low Resource Tool to measure your sample usage.
  • Select the IMB PC 3.5" HD preset or manually set your sample limit to 1440KiloBytes.
  • No external effects. If you want that sound, bake into your sample.
  • Samples only, no VST instruments. Yes, you are allowed sample VSTs or external gear.
  • Must be between 3 and 6 minutes long.
  • Your XRNS file must be shared publicly.

Your sample usages cannot exceed more than 100% of 1440 kilobytes as measured by Marblek’s Low Resource tool. That tool’s measurement is judge, jury & executioner.

Please include a SoundCloud link of your track for listening convenience.

Judging Criteria:
Your favourite track p1 +7 points.
Your favourite track p2 +5 points.
Your favourite track p3 +3 points.
Best mix +5 points (can be different from your favorite track).

Bonus points:
1 Less than 3 single cycle waveforms. +3 points.
2 Only using full samples longer than 3 seconds and no single cycle waveforms. +7 points
Single single shot samples are fine.
3 Writing a review for all submitted tracks. +10 points.

Instructions:
Download Martblek’s free Low Resource Tool here.
Install it by dragging and dropping into Renoise. It should then be available in the Tools menu.
Once opened, select the IBM PC 3.5" HD preset or manually limit it to 1440kb
Use the toggle button to display your current sample usage. Shown in the left hand corner, next to the Hide/Show Track DSP pane and Hide/Show Track automation editor pane.

Martblek’s Low Resource tool is totally free.If you can afford it and feel so inclined please consider paying Martblek a small amount for it as a way to say “thanks for making the tools”.

Special thanks:
@martblek for making the low resource tool. Without it this competition would not be possible. :heart:
@onyme your thread sparked the idea for this competition.
@slujr for the encouragement to set up this competition.

Single Cycle Waveforms:
Adventure Kid’s Single Cycle Wave forms (free/donationware)
Hand draw in Renoise’s sampler. (free)
Martblek’s Harmonio (paid)
Martblek’s Macuilxochitl (paid)
Padsynth (Renoise tool) (free)
Ryukau’s OneCycleWaveform (free). Check out the other Ryukau generators as well (free).

11 Likes

Submissions (in order of appearance):
Remsky: 2024 Impulses | 0.046% of 1440kb.
H3ADL3SS: Unbound | 91.147% of 1440kb.

1 Like

Ooh this will be a fun challenge :grin:
Especially for those of us who missed the demo scene when it had its heyday

4 Likes

where is that number from 1474560 ? 3.5 HD ?
If someone would be willing to send me the limitations of their HW on sample size,
I could complete the list in a gui for quick HW selection.

the updated tool will always be free here

EDIT:
lest I forget Tool calculates the size of each sample, so a 0.5s long sample will have a different size at 44.1kHz samplerate and maybe 22.05kHz. Watch out for it :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I took it from wikipedia:
the HD format of 3½-inch floppy disks uses 512 bytes per sector, 18 sectors per track, 80 tracks per side and two sides, for a total of 1,474,560 bytes per disk

Yup! And it appears to be unaware of samples loaded into the convolver device. So you can do all kinds neat stuff with that without impact…

1 Like

Better write 1474560 bytes above. I thought it’s only 147 kB.

1 Like

LR

4 Likes

That looks excellent martblek! A drop down preset list is a fantastic! Maybe it already does, but could it default to the 3.5" Floppy standard for the duration of the contest? Seems convenient for everyone.

Btw, currently your gumroad link only offers v0.02, not v0.03 as in your image. Is that correct?

Yes, correct.
I was waiting for someone to contact me with a specific HW limitation.

2 Likes

The Elektron Analog Rhythm (MKII) has 64 megabyte of RAM and can store up to 127 mono samples, 48Khz, 16bit.

If memory serves me right:
The Akai s900 has 750 kilobyte of RAM. The s950 came with 750Kb as standard and could be expanded to a whopping 2.25 megabyte.

Akai s3000XL came with 2mb of RAM as standard and could be upgraded to 32mb.

Seconded. This looks great :smiley:

thanks for info,
later i upload 03 version with changes.

4 Likes

V03 is on Gumroad.

3 Likes

Sweet competition!!! Hey guys any resources for really small samples i can get ?

1 Like

There are so many waveform generator tools! I’d use those, or adventure kid waveforms are donation ware and there are many, many waves to choose from.
@martblek 's tools harmonio & macuilxochitl are great for custom waves

Or… Hand draw your own with the draw tool :pencil2:

2 Likes

Splendid Marblek! :heart: Updated the links to your tool. I’ve added some resources as to where to find single cylce wave forms to the first post. If you’ve got more, share them!

3 Likes

Do I upload the song here on this thread?

So… Here is my entry: “2024 Impulses” | File size: 27.4KB

• using only one 8 bit impulse per instrument
  • sounds generated using efx and filters
  • influenced from early cheap drum-machines, synth and skweee

Genre:
Glitch-Wave / Glitch-Skweee / Sloth-Disco

2024-Impulses-V2.xrns (27.4 KB)
YT Video: https://youtu.be/A8_J8nLOgk0

Preferably listen on 96khz - it glitches better at higher rate.

8 Likes

Cool! I was gonna wait until the 6th before opening the competition. But we’ve got the tool up and running so let’s go! Updated the first post with the judging criteria:

Judging Criteria:
Your favourite track p1 +7 points.
Your favourite track p2 +5 points.
Your favourite track p3 +3 points.
Best mix +5 points (can be different from your favorite track).

Bonus points:
Less than 3 single cycle waveforms. +3 points.
Only using full samples longer than 3 seconds and no single cycle waveforms. +7 points
Writing a review for all submitted tracks. +10 points.

Nice dark vibe remsky. It’s very hypnotic. The hihat is a bit too high for knackered ears. Would recommend dragging down the cutoff filter on that for people with old ears like myself. As it is right now, I really feel like I’m missing it. And it’s not like you don’t have space for it in your mix.

Could you share an audio version as well via SoundCloud or something similar for listening convenience?

1 Like

Thanks for the Feedback! Cheers!

Idk - the hi-hats sound good-enough to me - perhaps even too soft, maybe my ears are knackered some other way…

The space in mix… for the hi-hat? Maybe… but I personally like more open spaces in mix, I do not need all the frequencies covered… maybe I have some hearing variation or something, but if a song is too dense - my brain refuses to process it.

I went to an emo-core band’s concert the other day - and whilst rationally I realise they music craft and skill and art is on a very high level and the melodic and rhythmic compositions are beautiful deep and fractal - my brain just can not process it, it was 2 hours of ‘ghzhzzhzhzhzhzh’ to me.

I will leave it as it is - since I have entered the competition and so I ought not to change it.

I uploaded it to YT - the link in my og post too: https://youtu.be/A8_J8nLOgk0

1 Like