MBC #16: Competition Closed --> See the Voting Thread

Just for the record, you can change their entry until the deadline. Once the deadline of February 4th hits your submission becomes final.

1 Like

What does that mean? Itā€™s better to use longer samples than single cycles?

1 Like

Thatā€™s great, but why canā€™t I see the sample waveforms?

1 Like

There are no sample waveforms. Except one short impulse. Each sample is is one 8 bit sample long, and that one sample value is 0dB.

So, when it is triggered - itā€™s almost like an ideal impulse. That impulse is sent to reverb and filter set to high resonance.

The reverb generates the ā€˜thshhhhhā€™ sounds and the filter is induced and resonates and makes the ā€˜boomā€™ sounds.

For melodic parts, the filter frequency is modulated from Key Follower.

3 Likes

Clarifying question, so, our .xrns can be bigger than the 1.4MB allotted, but we can only use up to 1.4 MB of samples correct?

Also, Iā€™m unclear on why you get more bonus points for full samples longer than 3 secs. All good, just not sure what the idea is here?

2 Likes

Iā€™m confused as well

1 Like

Sorry about the confusion, I was planning to rephrase it before next week. But I jumped the gun and posted my draft last night, my bad.

Let me clarify. Single cycles are cool. But also kinda of easy. You can literately have a thousand of them on a floppy disc. I want to be impressed by your ingenuity to squeeze the most out of samples. Iā€™m hoping you try to fit a couple of breaks, acoustic samples and/or real world recordings in the 1440KB. Sounds that are an integral part of the track. Not just there to check a box. Hope that clarifies my intention. If not, please let me know and Iā€™ll try to explain it better. Or scratch the idea.

Yes, correct. You can only use a maximum of 1.4MB as measured by Martblekā€™s tool. The xrns file size is of no importance for this competition. Seems the safest bet just case different operating systems calculate/display file sizes slightly differently.

3 Likes

Ok, nice, so I can go whole hog on fx :pig: as long as theyā€™re native, correct? Or do ALL fx (including native instrument fx and track fx) need to be baked into the samples?

I guess using samples is maybe more true to the old school than single cycle synthesis? I would guess the old trackers didnā€™t let you do too much with themā€¦ Still, Iā€™ll probably use someā€¦ Or perhaps no more than two ;p

2 Likes

Yes, native effects are fair game. Anything external youā€™ll need to bake into the sample.

Thatā€™s the idea, yes!

3 Likes

I really like the sound, early autechre vibe. The concept is absolutely fantastic! Nice work.

2 Likes

Here is the t-shirt design for the winner. To encourage people not relying on single cycle wave forms Iā€™ll also be giving away another shirt. This goes to who ever impresses me the most with their sample usage without overusing single cycle wave forms.

2 Likes

Cheers, Thanks!

1 Like

quick question about

Only using full samples longer than 3 seconds and no single cycle waveforms. +7 points

does this apply to percussion samples? I get that the point is to discourage short loops and single cycle waveforms, but most percussion samples (kick, snare, etc.) are gonna be shorter than 3 secondsā€¦ an easy workaround would be to just combine drum sounds into a sample longer than 3 seconds and chop it up with Sxx effects, but that seems kinda against the spirit.

2 Likes

Good question, one shot percussion samples are fine if they are shorter than 3 seconds. They wonā€™t count against you.

1 Like

Iā€™d love it if everyone challenges themselves. To be sample focused, and push hard to fill the 1.4mb with stuff you actually use in your track.

2 Likes

Love the idea

1 Like

thanks for the clarification! sounds like a fun challenge!

1 Like

So also Convolver canā€™t be used? Since itā€™s based on a sample, tooā€¦

1 Like

Convolver is totally fine. You can use to your heartā€™s content. Itā€™s native and martblekā€™s tool doesnā€™t measure it. So it has no impact on your available sample space. In other words, go nuts with it!

@agargara sure thing, hope you and @corb join the fun!

Ah okā€¦ Sorry, still donā€™t understand the rule, so all internal fx is allowed, too?

1 Like