MBC #16: Competition Closed --> See the Voting Thread

Yes, all internal/native fx are allowed.

I do recommend baking as much as you can into your samples. Committing to sounds is a good thing. :wink:

Any suggestions as to how to reduce sample size? Render samples with a bit crusher applied? Obviously mono samples, otherwise not sure how to go about it.

1 Like

Mono is the way to go, indeed. Pressing F11 in the sampler tab allows you to adjust the sample properties. Mono/stereo, sample rate and bit depth. Those are your friends when it comes to reducing file size.

It quickly becomes a balancing act between the number of samples and their sound quality. Which is exactly the point of this MBC.

1 Like

Here is my track at 91.147%

Unbounded.xrns (641.8 KB)

7 Likes

Wow! That is such a dreamy and overwhelming sound. Beautiful stuff @H3ADL3SS !

I havenā€™t checked the XRNS yet but itā€™s definitely something to be proud of. Very well done.

1 Like

I forgot to mention the old hardware sampler trick. Record your sounds at twice the pitch/speed and play it back an octave lower. That saves half the space right there.

For people worried about the space limitation. I did a quick demo track. To showcase how much you can fit into a 1.4mb.

I sampled:
Amen Brothers
Gladiator OST - Wheat
Isaacy Hays - Run Fray Run
Kill Bill Vol.1 film quote
Magnum P.I theme tune
Massive Attack - Pray For Rain
Metallica - For Whom The Bell Tolls
Metallica - One
Red Hot Chili Peppers - Under The Bridge
Santa Esmeralda - Donā€™t Let Me Be Misunderstood
The Smashing Pumpkins - Zero
Tomoyasu Hotei - Battle Without Honor Or Humanity

And a A 303 sample, Guitar stab and Revitar.

Iā€™m using 99.48% of the available space.

electronic_tiger_-MBC#16-_Demo_track.xrns|attachment (597.7 KB)

4 Likes

my entry :metal::alien: some forest darkpsy at 144 bpm

clocking in at

no single cycles, but some short samples though and several percussion sounds used as oscillators/noise sources. lots of native tool generated sounds (hail @martblek), and even resampled a VST of all things :face_with_open_eyes_and_hand_over_mouth:

XRNS would fit on a floppy:
Xāˆ‘NĆøBāˆ†Bāˆ†ā€¢ā€¢ā€¢ no limitations.xrns (1.2 MB)

this was a fun one :slight_smile: Wrote the whole track in the past few days. I might submit a new mix before the deadline, but basically done

6 Likes

Ridiculous / amazeballs what youā€™re able to squeeze out of such a small filesize. Looking at yours and @H3ADL3SS track makes me realizeā€¦ I should probably look more into the mastering templates that are floating around lol.

This is a great MB btw, already learning a lot, and being forced to work in extremely limited parameter definitely has been eye opening.

2 Likes

If you look on my master channel thereā€™s a mastering doofer that I use. Maybe it will have some utility for you :slight_smile: I didnā€™t really do a proper master of this track, just whatā€™s on the channel strip

Thanks for the kind words! I hope you throw in on this one! Your tracks are always stellar

2 Likes

Splendid @slujr ! I love the meta comment of no limitations. You definitely were not held back by them. I wonder if this really was a challenge for you because this sounds like one of your tracks. Seriously though, well done!

Looking at your file is also very insightful. Youā€™re so organized. I need to up my game on that.

One small thing I got these missing plugins errors. Iā€™m sure they are not part of your sound. But If you could remove those before your final submission thatā€™d be great. Make everything native.

mbc16-mrzensphere

1 Like

Yup, both @H3ADL3SS and @slujr are masters of their craft. What I find very exciting is seeing the different techniques people employ. What @remsky did with the impulses also blows my mind. And H3ADL3SSā€™ sound selection & processing is also very inspiring to me.

Same here. I find it amazing how much you can squeeze into just 1.4mb.

Anyway, Iā€™m looking forward to hearing what youā€™ve come up with!

2 Likes

Oops, yeah Iā€™ll clean up the xrns. OccularScope is a great, free, sidechaining oscilloscope utility for Mac and maybe other platforms. Itā€™s a nice one bc you can see how two different audio signals interact by using the sidechain input. Highly recommended. If youā€™re on PC thereā€™s psyscope which is comparable if not better. Not sure whatā€™s best for linux

I forgot about that bit shift gainā€¦ Iā€™ll switch it out for a native gainer

Definitely was. It forced me to work differently, for sure. But I got a couple new ideas/methods from the process that Iā€™ll be using in the future, which is great. Super fun working within constraints while still aiming for a finished track that I could throw into a live set down the road

1 Like

Cheers! :beers:

Definitely will look into the mastering doofer - have been grinding on something for this one but itā€™s been slow going. Makes me realize how much I rely on external stuff (particularly mixing/mastering) but itā€™s been nice to be limited, because it kind of forces you to more deeply understand all the native stuff!

2 Likes

Thanks friend! What Iā€™ve got is pretty low-key but, again, just glad for the learning. And, again, just a great opportunity to learn here - Renoise isā€¦ I feel like the more you dig in the more it kind of rewards you. Stuff like this where you get a chance to see how other people leverage it are just such a godsend - so thanks for making this happen!

1 Like

88%
Reduction.xrns (1.6 MB)

10 Likes

Finished mine as well. Just under 74%! I used up all my single-cycle waveforms on the first sound you hear. The rest of it is classic breaks, free drum samples, my own beep boxes, and a 60s tv show.

highway rehab - blunt (MB16 - 2024).xrns (810.3 KB)

7 Likes

Scratched, clawed, bellywalked to get this one across the 3 min mark. @eretsua - great MB idea, being forced to operate under the constraints / limitations actually opened up a lot of doors (for me). Learned a ton.

@slujr thanks for encouragement to complete this one and for pointing out the mastering doofer on your file, totally used that here to good effect.

Apologies for the messy XRNS, not my finest organization hourā€¦

Server Migrations Never Go As Planned.xrns (718.4 KB)

EDIT: Oh fuck, shit. Forgot to tag @martblek 'cause a lot of Harmonic and AlmostDrumsNG up in he err

10 Likes

It is perfect :boom: and it is feet in floppy.

Letā€™s copy this floppy!!! :floppy_disk: :headphones: :floppy_disk:

:badteethslayer:

2 Likes

Hi!

I need some precisions about the size limit: 1440 KiloByte

The resource tool is in simple byte, so that mean: 1440000 ,000 bytes, right?
Lots of 0000 ! Thanks!

Kbits