MIDI Export (yet again)

I know this has ben mentioned before (I think it is quite worth another post, especially after all this time of pretty much nothing done)… but seriously we really really need midi export that can produce midis usable for MS GM, XG, MT32, ect. So many users would benfit from this, the tool that exists simply does not cut it - we need more support for program changes and ccs and other stuffs. The framework is all there, we have the inst. midi control effect that does wonders with vst control. All we need is for those to be exported. I love everything else about Renoise, but in this it falls short. Like I’ve said here before, OpenMPT does better at midi export… and it’s not even a proper daw like Renoise is. Midi support for the people, I say!!! I really hope we get midi export with the next release, this is what I am paying for. I don’t have a lot of income but I would quite seriously pay what little I have to make this happen. I’m sure there are users who are on the fence that would join the Renoise fever with this added in. :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: (This is a hill I am willing to die on.)

Besides midi files, this would be very useful for working with others who use other DAWs.

of note, this is also quite important, I have hit it when using the edirol orchestral vst:
https://forum.renoise.com/t/midi-cc/21791

3 Likes

You might want to try OscMagic (midisoft.de)
:wink:

I’ve looked at this link a few times. I have no idea what OscMAgic is, or what it does, or how to get it…

Can you use this plugin? Or it is limited for your tasks?

Unless I am mistaken, this has no way to export program changes, so yes it’s too limited. The tool is okay at exporting the midi and using it in another daw, but I’m looking for midi creation, the like of OpenMPT. It’s pretty weird that most daws can export midis… and Renoise can’t

I did mention that tool in my post, but it is buried in the middle heh ~

1 Like

Try not to use program changes at all. Just makes no sense in 2022. Instead use multiple instances of the plugin. Isn’t edirol orchestral even multitimbral, so that you can use it with multiple channels at once? I think nobody in the world will help you with adding prog change support into midi export, tbh.

That said the current midi export has quite a bunch of general midi features kept in mind afaik.

Bump. :stuck_out_tongue: I wanted to edit this midi song then export it back to midi. Renoise Imports this song perfectly including all program and CC parameters. Wish I could say the same about exporting.
music007.mid (35.7 KB)

1 Like

What issue did you encounter when exporting to midi?

It doesn’t export the instrument program or volume or pan. You can try that midi file I attached. If you can successfully import it then export back to midi it without it changing things to piano mush, pls let me know how! Thanks!

There is no option to ‘save’ as or ‘export’ to MIDI in my File menu; is this supposed to be core functionality?

I did notice there are a couple methods for ‘Importing’ the song and they do different things:

By using the ‘Disk Browser’ and clicking ‘Load File with Options’ the file opened up ready to play on GM.

Then by using the tool listed above and clicking ‘Export to MIDI’ the file was saved correctly, although using the
GM Instruments.

So by utilizing ‘Load File with Options’ and selecting the correct Virtual Midi instance configured with the soundfont of your liking, suppose this could help; I used this utility to assist here:

https://coolsoft.altervista.org/en/virtualmidisynth

Hth

MIDI import is core functionality, MIDI export is done by the above mentioned tool.

I did not test this, but if you use a gm midi synth, using the exact preset numbers and using it multi timbral, I guess an exported midi file would work as a GM midi file.

If you want to add functionality to the export, you can alter the tool by yourself. I did so, too, adding export for vst automation.

1 Like

Thanks @ffx I’ve downloaded the tool and updated my fidings above.

@Jek Following your steps - the exported midi file I get is only piano instruments panned in the center. Is this your result as well? Here’s a video of my results:
https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/n0ckh0e5e8xxa4jhc7afh/Desktop-2024.02.05-13.33.08.03.mp4?rlkey=li3xgo8x6iew4jexi78usz19a&dl=0
What am I doing wrong :face_with_spiral_eyes:

Yes; using the tool listed to provide a method to ‘Export to MIDI’, this is my result as well.
Also, same when choosing ‘VIrtual MIDI Synth’ and a custom SoundFont during the ‘Load With Options’ function…

Since there is no built-in capability to ‘Export to MIDI’ It seems the tool’s code would need
additional functionality to go beyond this, so that a new .mid file could be created with more accuracy.

Why not reach out to the tool author or comment directly on the tool’s own thread on this forum?

Hth

1 Like