Monome (arduimone) Group Buy

Anybody know the current status of this?

Current Status: we got ripped off.

jk.

I am however very unsatisfied with how friggen long it’s taking… I was thinking of using this monome as part of a school project but I bet it won’t arrive in time.

I’m dying to build my new toy.

It’s a bit late for this kind of silly question but do I need an arduino to use this monome? Or is it called like this because there’s some part of the pcb that are similar to the arduino?

weird that I ordered 4 kits without knowing…

Do you have a link to the parts list?

It should probably look something like this for each kit if it does:

http://flipmu.com/work/arduinome/hardware/

Just looked, the “Starfire AIO Logic board” is the arduino with extra it seems:
“the AIO board is the Starfire-designed interface and atmega controller”

The atmega controller is an AVR micro-controller used for building arduinos.

So yes you get 4 arduinos.

edit

also, jbl, i just noticed that monomeserial can also send receive midi. so it may be possible to use your step seq patch with even less modification. i haven’t been able to check yet.

i really can’t justify the price of max though. i may try and get my brother to buy it for me as a student licence. do you know how that works? is it very strict? ie does the software have to be installed on the person who bought it’s machine?

Well, I remember that what I bought included 4 pads, 4 boards that gives me that usb out to the computer and 4 other boards… and a kit with all the parts… so this includes arduinos? I wonder if I can use them for other stuff.

the max student license has 2 options. 60$ for 9 months license that comes with max msp jitter or 250$ for a lifetime license, coming with max msp jitter… this is a very good deal, your brother will have to communicate with them via email and send some info.

about the midi… I really don’t care… it’s going to take me 1-2 hours to make the new patcher that works with OSC… I’d rather use osc because it uses less coding than midi. I trust OSC more than midi too.

Is there links to processing* sketches for all of this?
If there is, you could use it for other things, and recompile.

If the code is being burned to the micro-controller with something like AVR studio (means very good price)
Then no.

Thing I’m curious about, OSC doesn’t exactly run over USB, it needs Ethernet. Maybe the Starfire AIO Logic board has ethernet?

*er, wiring, not processing.

Was just checking out his blog, his stuff looks really nice. I wouldn’t worry about this too much. Stuff like this (Quality) does take time. He is probably getting kind of stressed from such a large job, it does take time.

hmm im aware of Ethernet OSC communication but I’m pretty sure this monome uses usb.

Assuming a few others of you got this email earlier too?

:(

have been keeping up, total pain in the neck. how much are peeps into this for? completely crazy group buy though. 10gs to some randomer from the net?

I haven’t been keeping up at all, could you do a summary for me? Personally I sent the money for four kits.

Seems he is saying (in a later email) some, but not all, PCBs are3 damaged and thus people will have to be refunded.

I assume he will also refund for the rest of the kits parts (buttons etc) that would of gone with those PCBs? Say if I was to say reduce my order from 4 to 2 or 1?

http://post.monome.org/comments.php?DiscussionID=6492

towards the end of the thread for details…

Yeah I clicked on that link from first post in this thread. Went back about 15 pages of it and people were already talking about refunds and what they had bought and could expect. That’s why I asked if a brief summary would be possible but guess I’m just going to have to read 15-20 pages…

it sure is a hell of a group buy.

I suggest you read it all quickly… like skip parts of posts because lots of posts are redundant.

It’s good to know what’s happening with your money you know.

Think the recent emails from Max and co have pretty much covered it and sounds like everything will be all right in the end. Eventually! ;)

Had my board and pads waiting for me at work yesterday :)

Sure there was meant to be component packs too! Anybody know what happened with those? Sure I can find all the bits myself through RS/Farnell but from what I remember it was covered, I’ve paid for it once and all I should have to buy myself was the LEDs.

I got mine parts a few days ago… I got a button board pretty much finished and I’m having hard time with the FL232RT chip… I’m gonna buy 4x UM232R… I hate how this means it’s gonna cost extra (and also that I bought the FL232RT chips + usb thingnys for nothing).

About the components, Sebastian doesn’t have them. He’s supposed to refund us but he has not enough money right now so he made a schedule so he can refund each one of us at some point… I think he priories those who bought less because they are easier to refund. I suggest you ask him OR Juggernaut about this.

That means you will also need to buy your own parts. There are a few lists posted on the boards.

If you need to buy parts, I got 4 L shaped connectors in extra, for some reason someone told me I had to buy 8 (2 per kit) but we only need 1 per kit as you can cut these into 4x (8x2) pins, 2 on the button board, 2 on the aio board. I paid like 34$ bucks for the 8, I was a bit mad that I spent 17$ bucks for something I absolutely don’t need so I will try to resale them, tell me if you need. I have no idea why this part is expensive as hell.

I em emailed Max (the guy who forwarded on all parts to Europe) the same day as I made that post but haven’t had a reply.

Living in the UK think postage would be too much to get parts from you in Canada. Can probably get away with getting much of it on a work’s order from RS… Not that I would ever consider buying stuff for personal use through work ;)