More GUI Textures (Please)

By default under Renoise v3.1.1 there are only 5 textures for themes. And imho, only the “Jeans” one is a bit more cool but not really amazing. So I searched this forum and found somes really nice textures, for example here:

The issue is that these textures don’t work under Renoise v3.1.1. Do you know if there are technics (or even better a tool) to convert old textures to new textures? Thanks…

5 Likes

Urgh :woozy_face::face_vomiting:

5 Likes

I imagine that it is only necessary to do 3 things:

1. Preserve textures format (BMP).
  2. Preserve the size of the textures (each image has a specific size).
  3. Possibly, keep the name of the textures. That is, replace the new textures with the existing ones.

I guess every texture (image) should draw a pattern that can be repeated. I can be wrong, but I think these textures can deform, stretch, to fill a larger area.
Whenever you manipulate original files, make a backup before.

The simplest is to copy an entire folder of a specific texture style, and manipulate its images, preserving the size and format. Finally, change the name of the folder, with the name chosen for the texture.

I don’t know if it’s possible to create new style folders. All folders have the same number of images and the same names. In theory it should be possible to add new entire texture folders.

2 Likes

Yes it is possible to create new textures from scratch.
But it is not possible to simply convert oldstyle textures into newstyle textures because the texture files have significantly changed since 2006… :dizzy_face:

2 Likes

Another little question is that if you do select say ‘Jeans’ texture is all the main body areas supposed to change to some texture? i.e.
jeantex

1 Like

@4tey. I think so.

I have sad news, at least for myself. :sweat_smile:

It is possible to make new textures, but it seems that there are some huge limitations. For example, but I hope I’m wrong, the main body texture seems to be repeated on X axis but stretched on Y axis. So that it’s quite impossible to make something compatible for several resolutions, or for when you switch between fullscreen and windowed mode.

Here is an ugly sample, but it’s my fault, I used an ugly texture. :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

I have good news! :partying_face:

It seems that with Renoise 3.2 and some training, we can make some cool things like below.
This example is based on the Default Theme. I just changed the Texture with a personal one.

7 Likes

That is great!!Could you share the texture?

Very sexy! Link? :slight_smile:

Not sure I can share this Renoise Texture set because :

1. I used old pictures of my old PC and I can’t remember if they are royalty free or not
  2. The background picture is a big wallpaper (bigger than my screen resolution) and not really a texture
  3. The background picture also appears on menus, stretched on height but not on width (weird result)

With classic textures, there are also weird stretching effects, but smooth enough to be OK. The good news is that you can use colored textures (that combine with theme color) for background and menus. On panels, even with colored textures, it makes as if you use a B&W texture, but with no stretching, so that it repeats fine on both X & Y axis.

I can imagine to share some Renoise Textures after I check they are royalty free…

2 Likes

FLOWERS

After I checked, here is a colored Renoise texture. To use it, unzip the zipped file into the default Renoise Texture folder. Then choose it under Renoise using menu Edit | Preferences. And don’t forget to set the Body Shade scroller to a sufficient value if you want effect to apply on the background. Dowload link and screenshot below. Based on a texture found on GRSites where they say that it is free to use for personal and commercial use.

3 Likes

Thanks that looks beautiful.

It’s fun to see what can be done with textures. I imagine its use with anime motifs, with image of Dragon Ball, Arale, Musculman…

Too bad textures can only be BMP, and not GIFs :joy:

1 Like

Oh god! Help! :joy:

1 Like

GIFs would be great

OCEAN

This time I mixed a centered gradient texture for background with blue colors of the ocean, and a classic sea texture for the panels. Here used with Default Renoise Theme, but of course, it gives better results if you use this textures with a blue theme. Gradient textures seem to be a good choice as background texture. Vertical and horizontal gradients are the best choice since Renoise stretches them by the height but not by the width. Other kind of gradients may give weird results.

7 Likes

JUNGLE

I called this one jungle because I used two green textures, even if, by default, the panels are grey because I used the Default Theme, which is grey. You can easily improve the result with using a green theme. Unzip the file below in the \Resources\Skin\Textures\ folder of Renoise. Have fun with it.

4 Likes

Use a military, war texture.

3 Likes

LAVA

After the horizontal gradient test a few days ago, here is the vertical gradient test. When applied to all textures, it’s interesting to see how red&yellow background texture is perfectly aligned to the b&w panels textures. OK, now, my eyes are bleeding, true. :crazy_face:

3 Likes