Move the cursor instead of scrolling the pattern

Which one? I don’t know about it. If there would be such a button it would be a good conclusion.

It’s the minority which is bothered by it. The current behavior is how a tracker works ever since, it’s absolutely “natural”. Personally I wouldn’t want it to be different.

No way, Renoise won’t get more users because of this. Same thing if you would drop the hexadecimal system. It won’t change anything in terms of new users.

Personally, I’m getting older, vision’s slowing down, and it’s hard to follow a rapidly moving portion of the screen. Doesn’t matter overall, because I love Renoise just the same. I’ll deal with it as I always have.

The reduction of motion would be nice option to have, if one wanted. That way, if you/others with your desire for traditional tracker functionality need to stay true to the way things always were, it would be available. Options are nice.

1 Like

A button which deactivates pattern movement respectively activates cursor movement in edit mode would be a conclusion, yes. But there isn’t such a button. I guess the button @ffx is talking about is the button which deactivates the scrolling while playing the pattern. It’s on the left right next to the metronome activation/deactivation.

1 Like

Yep! The scrolling to the next pattern button is helpful for sure - it gets rid of the pattern-jumping. Looping the pattern helps too, as well as visually ‘knowing’ where the next entry(ies) go. Ah, the joys of aging :laughing:

It’s visually confusing, Imagine your would edit a text document and whenever you click on a paragraph to change a word, the whole page jumps around. Just because that’s how it’s traditionally always worked in trackers doesn’t mean that has to be the only option, I’d certainly welcome it if it was an optional toggle. It’s just easier to see the strutcture of a melody or rtm if it’s not constaintly jumping around when editing it.

@TNT I think it’s really hard to put yourself in the shoes of somebody who has never used a tracker, once you learned how one works. I do remember that I only gotten used to renoise on the third try just because of how confusing I found it that an entry would automatically take me to the next line.

No text editor works this way and there simply is no reference to that kind of system in your brain the first time you use it, not saying it’s bad, but it’s visually confusing. Sort of like if you all of a sudden have to steer right to go left on a bike and your brain just messes up. Although in a less severe way :stuck_out_tongue:

Just saying that there’s not a reason to not let people choose.

5 Likes

This PlayerPro Video shows quiet great how wholesome it is if Patterns are more like static pages. I’d also think it would be great if there was a mini mixer like that in Renoise. Everything looks very clean and is on one screen.

1 Like

Well, it’s a tracker and not a text editor. Imagine learning how to fly a plane or drive a boat.
You wouldn’t say no car works this way, would you?

I clearly prefer the current system. Imagine using patterns four times longer than this tiny little thing shown in the video. There’s a reason why trackers work the way they work. The current position is always in the center of the screen so that the user can see exactly what’s going on. But as I wrote, a button which deactivates pattern movement respectively activates cursor movement in edit mode would be a good conclusion. :wink:

2 Likes

@TNT to me it’s just tabular data and as said I’d think it be beneficial to have the sheet not move around when editing :slight_smile: I’d rather work on Bars/Section as Pages or scroll manually instead of the current auto scrolling that’s happening. In the end a lot of music is just repetiton and it’s just easier if you want to do a mutiation/variations of a pattern/pharse if the part you want to edit is visually on the same space on the screen (if it exists in multiples), instead of having to scroll around.

Also right now, if you set up your screen to be able to display one section (1 Bar, 2 Bars, etc). As soon as you click to edit the second half of the Bar, the first half disappears… it’s just not practicle. I think the way why trackers are set up like that, because of doing step entry with a keyboard instead of regular mouse/keyboard entry. In FamiTracker (NES) you can just check an option called “Free Curser Edit” and it’s just bliss.

Btw you can already set up Renoise to look like PlayerPro when simply playing back already, it’s just that the editing position is stuck in the middle in Renoise

Like you said, just a button to turn this on and off would be sufficiant, nobody want’s to banish the current way of editing / playback :cowboy_hat_face:.

2 Likes

I keep coming back every now and then over the years to see if the static screen feature has been implemented yet. Renoise is amazing, but I am originally a Buzz user and cannot get used to renoise/redux (or polyend) in its current state. There are trackers (like Buzz and M8) which do not have rapid uncontrollable scrolling, so scrolling is not a tracker-defining feature. If it’s not difficult to implement, I don’t see much downside.

2 Likes

That’s exactly how it should be done. Same as milkytracker does.

The current no-follow mode is no fun working with at all, although I can see its use sometimes.

2 Likes

Wish I knew what you are talking about, Renoise editing is perfect to me!?
Can you find a Youtube video that shows the behaviour you like?

Just watch the screen itself, no video is necessary: with playing stopped, press the up and down arrows to ‘move’ the cursor: now observe, what you’re actually moving is the entire block of patterns up and down, not the cursor itself. The OP wants the patterns to be fixed static, and the cursor to -actually- move around inside of that.

And I agree with him, frankly. I would find that visually more appealing than the current behavior.

4 Likes

I love Renoise but this (and other bunch of threads) goes to show how Renoise is still a top notch tracker in the scene and yet has lot to learn from old trackers like PlayerPRO.

1 Like

But isn’t it annoying that you can’t see what’s in the vicinity of the cursor when it’s near the top or bottom of the screen? Personally I can only see 40 lines of a pattern, if you could see the whole pattern (all the lines) I’d agree it would be nice.

If I remember correctly, this was already discussed in another thread a long time ago.
There could be an option for the pattern editor to switch between this static pattern behavior and the original continuously moving one.
One option would be consistent here and I see no reason not to implement this particular feature. Also, I think this behavior would not be very difficult to implement under the hood.
Anyone only has to watch this video to find out.

2 Likes

This is the main issue. On display monitors with a small resolution, the static pattern loses some meaning.
However, on high resolution image monitors (they didn’t exist years ago), such as a 2K monitor, you can see up to approximately 96 lines without moving the pattern.
Any user with a 4K monitor is going to suffer with the moving pattern. It is a matter of having options to adjust it to the hardware used. This feature years ago would not be very important, but now, with high resolutions, it would be a clear advantage.

And another important detail. Most LCD monitors behave poorly or very poorly when it comes to constantly updating text. This causes the image to look blurry, and strains the user’s eyes, simply because the text is moving from bottom to top. Really, it’s a bad experience caused by how slow image monitors are to change the state of their LEDs.

On the other hand, it might not be a bad idea to pan the static pattern by bars, so that when you scroll the pattern, the first line is always the start of a bar.

For all that, it would be appropriate if there were “an option”. Let the user choose what he wants to use…

1 Like

at 5:30 Goa trance tutorial with Jeskola Buzz - YouTube

notice the cursor is not forced to be at the center of the screen. when the user moves the cursor down, the background stays still. in renoise, when the user moves the cursor, the background moves (this is ft2 style)

the screen can optionally follow the cursor, so that during playback, when the cursor goes beyond the rows visible on the screen, then the subsequent rows are shown top to bottom, and the cursor moves from top to bottom again. this allows you to read the music as it plays, so you can more easily see what is coming next (kind of like sheet music).

did i explain clearly enough? i think all we are asking for is to have this as an option, not as a replacement for the current ft2 style which some users might prefer.

3 Likes

Or maybe begin move the pattern when the cursor enters a bar close to the borders of a pattern.

Yeah thanks, Holloway also explained it well…
I still think it’s an issue when you have longer patterns than the resolution can handle though but I can understand why some would love this, but i’d rather have the full picture so to say near the cursor.

grafik

This is Renoise on 2560x1440.

4 bars with room to spare without scrolling needed. Trackers came from Amiga with 320x200, and so absolutely HAD TO scroll. But this was a long time ago.

3 Likes

I run renoise in 3840x2160, 8 lines per beat, 256 lines per pattern. 175% gui scaling. i can view line 00 to 51 (about 80 lines decimal).