Moving Edit Point Should Not Deselect When Editing Automation

Moving edit point should not deselect when editing automation. It should not. Why is there unselect shortcut if that can be achieved with moving edit line. This is so stupid I almost posted this in bug reports forum.

Also would be nice to be able to move the edit point in greater steps than one, just like page up and down does in patterns.

Also would be nice to be able to jump straight to the next or previous point.

Also inserting should not add points but stretch the line. Just like deleting. Or at least there should be possibility for doing so.

Also generating ramps should not always be from full to max but from start to end point value.

Also random points generation could be improved to randomize between selection start and end point values.

Also clicking on the point in timeline should move the edit cursor to that point.

Also mouse click should not automatically generate or delete a point but only with a modifier key.

Also would be nice to have curve/point/linear shortcut switches.

Also would be nice to be able to define line/curve/point type of individual points.

Bezier curves would be nice with shortcut edit like when you have selected the point and after pressing some key you can then modify handles for that point.

Sub-row points would be nice. The automation is already counted per tick, why not to be able to insert a point per tick? Like press left, move to previous line, press ctrl+left, move to previous tick.

Oh, and also automation with all points deleted should not show as automated anymore.

Also shortcuts for presets would be nice.

e: ok, decided to put it all into same post to save some trouble. I know some or most of these have already been on board, but not all. So there you go. Feel free to feel free. If some mods read this they should also feel free to make the headline more describing, like “whining about automation editing” etc. And move this into a correct forum (meaning ideas & suggestions ;)).

one addendum…

…IMO the masked selection should include automation when being copied in the pattern.

Anyhow… I haven’t used automation in renoise that much mainly because it cannot be copied (easily) so I cannot say actually anything about anything on this =)

:ph34r:

[quote="#<0x00005628505394a8>, post:2, topic:20804"]

one addendum…

…IMO the masked selection should include automation when being copied in the pattern.

Anyhow… I haven’t used automation in renoise that much mainly because it cannot be copied (easily) so I cannot say actually anything about anything on this =)

[/quote]

Hey! Why not to make it work like when you select something in the pattern the automation in that area is also selected. Then when focusing automation edit the cursor would be placed to the beginning of the selection.

e: yes i remember your post about that. There is adv.edit checkbox for automation, future will bring this me thinks.</0x00005628505394a8>

[quote="#<0x0000562853c91928>, post:2, topic:20804"]
one addendum…

[/quote]

Why is the automation not being copied during your actions?

The automation copy option is included in the content mask… But perhaps you mean the mix-paste should apply on automation as well?</0x0000562853c91928>

Automation is not copied, and there is another thread for that.

Automation is copied but under certain conditions…
This need to be at least set to “Track in pattern” or “Track in Song”:

Then you need to copy / paste using shift-F4 / Shift F5 (if you want to use the shortcuts) or click the buttons copy / paste in the advanced edit.

Though these are not very obvious actions described in the manual i grant you that…
So will make some adjustments/addons on that part.

documentation

THERE’S ANOTHER THREAD FOR THAT!!!

i think i get it.

Kameleontti means the ability to sync the area of pattern- selection and automation (-view) selection.
he knows that its possible to copy it (inside automation view)
as you can see here:

but my guess, he dont like to use the mouse…

gets my vote.

All gets my vote as well, except:

Also mouse click should not automatically generate or delete a point but only with a modifier key.

We cant do that. This is not obvious at all, so beginners would not be able to create points until they studied the manuals very carefully…

Oh, and also automation with all points deleted should not show as automated anymore.

If there is no automation, you cant edit it with the keyboard anymore. Thats why the automation is present, but “empty” instead. OK, thats a very very technical reason but still not easy to get rid of…

Hey sorry, I focussed on your post and misread because you forgot to add the term “selection” in your post. and i overlooked 29’s mentioning that in his post. No need to get that angry.

You are forgiven. Die in peace.

Yes, but I would so much like to have option for jumping around in automation window with edit cursor by clicking with mouse. (Yes, I use mouse too.) Also I could then just select the points, not create them, although this is a bit trivial because the point created is automatically selected, but in the other hand clicking on a point deletes it, so I have to click twice to select a point. And afaik it’s pretty standard that drawing is done with a modifier key. But how about modifier + mouseclick moves the edit line and selects the point if clicking on one? Or, how about deleting takes place only when clicking on a point and adding only when there’s no point present on current line, and clicking somewhere where there’s no point under the cursor just moves the edit line and selects the point if there’s one on that line?

Ok, thought something like that. Not a big deal. But how about being able to delete envelopes in the left part where those are listed with del key on the envelope to be deleted? And how about a view filter switch that would exclude unautomated parameters from list? And how about pressing enter on parameter name in the left pane jumps to automation editor and creates empty automation there if needed?

Yeah, but clicking in the ruler selects a points as well. Its better to make the point editing obvious than the selection stuff.

Yes hmm… I should use that mouse more, I noticed I really am noob with that. :)

Live and learn.

I agree with all, except that I´m a bit unsure if it is a good idea that inserting should by default strech the line. I think its more normal that it just adds.

Also inserting should not add points but stretch the line. Just like deleting. Or at least there should be possibility for doing so.