Mutant Breaks #10

I`m impressed by the high level of artistic creativity going on here :slight_smile:

My votes in no particular order:

.cyberøcean - Xkernel - Max Masterad
Mars64 - UnqualifiedShite
Wrong - Know Dat

Thanks for the kind words, PBF! Who knows, maybe it will be released someday.

My entry for Mutant Breaks #9 is getting released on vinyl in March 2018 :slight_smile:

https://soundcloud.com/msymiakos/unfurnished-jungle-1

Does that qualify for some Renoise stickers?

├── Msymiakos - Tribute To Mutant Breaks.mp3

Lord have mercy - Sweet sensations jungle time intro. Beautiful jungle tune overall. Where can I get a copy on wax for my collection?

thanks

thanks for this stuff man

… i just don’t think a lot of this sounds came out naturally by sequencing … or even rearranging sequences of prerecorded loops

…for me its hard to approach it ,cause it never feels like second nature to me…like when i’m writing my own stuff… i always know what to do next…because im driven but what i can play

on a guitar or on a 25keys midi keyboard

and the experimentation part…came in the sound design…stage…

i don;t know if this makes sense to you :frowning:

but what i’m trying to say here …its that the music i make…somehow lives in my brain…and i only …arrange stuff that i can somehow play…like melodies or chords…or simple drum patterns…

but this music its the opposite of that… i realize that after seeing 21esters song

it looks like this guy indeed .arrange his track and programed …a lot if not all …the sounds …which is awesome …

my point is…that i can make this …but …it seems for now that i cant make it …without losing all the musicality 1st…

its like there’s no coherence …or any melodic or harmonic context.

at least in my unsuccessful attempts

:frowning:

this is really hard for me… i wonder is some of you experience the same with other genre of electronic music

It really is all about practice, thinking in complex and fast patterns is something you can get used to if you “study” it. By that i mean, think about it like learning any other instrument. You don’t just grab a guitar and think up melodies or songs, you have to first grasp the notion of playing it, this finger on this fret on this string, etc. It is something similar here, at least for me, and i think for many people.

When i was learning guitar, apart from books or lessons or whatnot, the best teacher was other people’s music, you know, jam on a hendrix song or learn a zappa piece, it is the same here. Try to learn techniques and styles from electronic musicians you like, try and recreate small things they do so you can make them yours and adapt them to your music. For example, your hear a nice snare rush or a sweet 5 second amen break full of “retriggers” and granular-like timbre on a Venetian Snares song? Try and recreate that break, try everything, 100 bpm, 900 bpm, 4lpb, 64lpb. See what results you have in each settings, and how much close to what you’re trying to make, those are.

When you will reach a point where you feel comfortable about what you can achieve in terms of, sound, timbre, rythm, speed, etc, then you will think only about the “melody” and the “musicality”, and you will be as comfortable writing on any speed as playing your guitar or piano. You just have to get used to it, it’s nothing special really.

Wow! So many great tunes! Thank you!!

My votes:

Land Of Bits - Mutant Glitch Shit - Type A … Cool arpeggio and that lead is just beautiful! Great vibes! Mix is tight and large, good job!

Redman - Air … Feels like walking through the blizzard knowing there’s a nice hot sauna waiting for you!! Love it! When is the album dropping?

TwoThreeZero - JYU … Production is crazy! Reminds me a bit of Trifonic! Whole track breaths and those glitches are insanely clever!! Respect!!

:walkman: :walkman: :walkman: :walkman:

I already did my minireviews, but I am going to change my votes as they didn’t count when I made them :stuck_out_tongue: (not in order, mind you)

Vote 1: No end in sight for the rain

Vote 2: Vergeten

Vote 3 Air

Good luck, and happy holidays.

Nice one buddy! I’ll keep an eye out for that release :yeah:

Been looking to get back into producing the old school jungle vibes myself again. Just need to get this HXC mod into my Atari then it’s BOH time.

Thanks for the kind words, PBF! Who knows, maybe it will be released someday.

My entry for Mutant Breaks #9 is getting released on vinyl in March 2018 :slight_smile:

SoundCloud - Hear the world’s sounds

i just want to thank the Renoisers friends …that .include my song in your top3 vote …and all the other friends…that had listen to my track and do the mini review on it :slight_smile:

again …super awesome community :)…

this has been a year super awesome…i mean …i started using renoise on my birthday beginning this year in January…but i’ve learned a lot by …asking stuff in this forum

and with a lot of your help crew…

thE transition was super easy…and thanks to RENOISE…MY ideas are now lengthier…and i’m more …willing every day to write new music :slight_smile:

…super cool year…

I’d say that, apart from making it top tier in this compo, putting any previous or current MBC entries on wax qualifies for stickers too. So - yes!

Weird rule, but then I’m the sticker-judge :drummer:

Really nice tunes this year, sorry i can’t review all of them atm … my top 3 for this round …
1.msymiakos - awesome jungle #1
2.mars64 - awesome jungle #2
3.pbf - best breakcore i heard this year! Where can i hear more? Last time i checked your sc had only 5 tunes total :(, big up everybody and good luck

Awe man thanks. Super pumped you liked it. Been having more time to focus on music again so there just might be a bit more stuff trickling out shortly. Thanks as well to everyone else who voted for me and took the time to listen to my tune. Totally humbled and did not expect to get any votes honestly :wub:

Really nice tunes this year, sorry i can’t review all of them atm … my top 3 for this round …
1.msymiakos - awesome jungle #1
2.mars64 - awesome jungle #2
3.pbf - best breakcore i heard this year! Where can i hear more? Last time i checked your sc had only 5 tunes total :(, big up everybody and good luck

My Top 3

1. Land of Bits: Mutant Glitch Shit - Lovely chip sounds, nice warm bass, great beats

2. Redman - Air: Very nice chill ambience, soft plucks make it feel very spacy

3. eee_9250 - mbc: Nice voice panning, ambient almost, Reminds me a little of “Orbital - Halcyon & On & On” in the movie hackers.

MV5BODg0NjQ5ODQ3OF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNjU4

The other great tracks

1. Hyperunknown - High off the ground: Lovely vocals, good beats and warm pads

2. Vivace - All my idols are dead: Dope dark track and with great rap

3. Deadhorse - dead575: Nice effects, cool intro, very experimental, kept me interested, very well made

4. Hanz Meyzer - The Shit: Love the soft atmosphere and the hard beats

5. Wrong - Know Dat: Nice subbass, good beats, cool breath effects

6. Bean Machine - Insecticide Shower: Ooh yeah some nice industrial techno, nice and glitchy

0A. TwoThreeZero - JYU: Cool mellow intro, very Aphex Twin like

66735.jpg

0B. Encryptedmind - In Memoriam: Beautifull piano, nice vocals and relaxing baseline

0C. Crash Noise Division - Shitstorm: Cool rain fx, nice screaming synth, great live sounding breakbeats

0D. Burital - Bring out the Big Beat!: Always love some added vocals, love the breakbeat, nice groove!

0E. Komu - The Bouncer: Slow moving house track with a creepy ambience

0F. Mars64 - UnqualifiedShite: Cool bass, cool voice sample, cool breaks

1. Kosmonaut - Ten Years Today: Grunge band feel, wow! Black metal vocals. I like.

2. dFast - Hunger: Creepy slow ambience and then the drums kick in with some evil pads

3. PBF - BalkFriday: Nice evil dark basdrum, love me some hardcore/gabber, nice filter effects added

4. 21testers - Aerothetic: 21 esters - aeothtic - cool intro!, very nice subtle break

5. 00.1 - 20171114 Tue Mb10: Nice drums, cool guitar, has a ancient tribe feel to it, a soundtrack for a movie

6. Head For Hills - Ultraviolet: nice drums, cool spacy sounds, nice live sounding breaks

7. BasicMethods - Deep: Nice shaker, mellow, clubby, deep house

8. danoise aka glixxando - Pump models: I like the sad synth in the background

9. Jonas78 - Vergeten: Wierd, glitchy, kind of regeaton style

10. EatMe - Another Backup Reminder: Great reminding title, EatMe should do a live act, nice beats, classic buildup

1A. Stailer - Ten For Eternity (feat eSoreni): Nice intro pluks, orchestral track

1B. Raegae - ShittyDub: Live guitar and some drums

1C. Kommandotolken aka Xkernel - Max Masterad: cool intro sample, and breaks

1D. Msymiakos - Tribute To Mutant Breaks: Cool intro effect, nice subbass

1E. TheBellows - Holy Shit: cool spooky theremin sound

Clara-Rockmore-010.jpg?w=300&q=55&auto=f

1F. Vaeprism - Decagon: nice use of stereo, industrial ambience

1. Garf aka Garfferen - Mutant X: Nice use of stereo

2. Robodub - Octo Man And His Ash: Techno experimental

3. Ulrikkold aka Coolium - Mikrohouse: Waterdrip drums, soft sub in the background

4. Sokoban - Can you feel the shit: Old school sounds

5. Neurogami - Mutant Breaks: Experimental baseline and beats

6. Acodreon - sith tit shit shit blow my whistle bitx0E: Cool hihats, love the title

7. HeartBeatHero - Putcha Hey!: Inspired by The Prodigy sound. :slight_smile:

Thanks to everyone supporting and making this competition possible!

Late in as always! Here’s my toplist! 11 for good measure ;D

01) sam aka wrong - know dat.ogg
I absolutely love the intro and the vocals, and how it goes fast and then mellows down again, this is my favorite track in this competition for sure! That disted sub-bass too, it tickles ;D … 50/10 would bang. Gets me every time.

02) botb aka vivace - allmyidolsaredeadandmyenemiesareinpower.mp3
Nice distortion on the bass and artifact noises! The vocals are absolutely awesome, love the voice and how you constructed it. Kinda reminds me of that old Prodigy track ‘Diesel Power’. The accords in the backgrounds lifts the whole thing a whole lot, which is really nice! Kudos on this one!

03) mars64 - unqualifiedsuccess-mutantbreaks-010.ogg
Omg this bass, approved™ :stuck_out_tongue: … I like how it goes down to to a slower more mellow part and then fast again, do I recognize that breakbeat? ;D I also like how it’s switches between the different breakbeats, keeps it interesting. Just how I like it!

04) garf aka garfferen - mutant x.ogg
Great C64-like base and arps mixed with fast glitchy drums! Some real goodies at1:19! This one goes into my allround playlist for sure. On repeat.

05) encryptedmind - in memoriam (lucid 6am mix).ogg
Gotta love this jazz-type track, with the old LP-player artifacts. The choirs are great and lifts the whole thing. The tempo of the beat is like nothing I’ve ever heard before though :P, absolutely love the piano!

06) msymiakos - tribute to mutant breaks.mp3
Great airy accords together with the sub-bass makes for a great intro, I also like the pitching up and down + filtering of the breakbeat.

07) dfast - mbcx-hunger.mp3
The composition of base, drums and effects is great! The fact that you use the same drums while everything gets a bit laid back with a background accord is just up my alley!

08) basicmethods - 2017_deep_.mp3
Very chill track that I could have in the background for hours while coding stuff. The bird-like effect clearly helps. Also, I like what you’ve done with the accords, the bit-crushing and going with 2 octaves.

09) burital - mbc10.mp3
Now we’re talking! Fast nice drums, and the short bass (starts at 01:06) reminds me of old Amiga .mod’s which is great. 01:28+ is an absolute blast :smiley:

10) eatme - another backup reminder.mp3
I love the organ accords and the arpeggio, very ‘Nuke of Anarcy’-like (Amiga500-demoscene). The whole Jazz-theme that goes through the track is really something!

11) heartbeathero - putcha hey!.mp3
Nice melodic leads and short accs, reminds me of that old Prodigy song “Your Love”. The filtered lead is a nice addition in the background!

thanks for this great mutants break #10

1- mars64

2- botb aka vivace

3- Burital

here are my votes! thanks to everyone for the organisation and the good tunes I heard the last two days. sorry for being esotheric in the reviews from time to time.

​what a comp. what a community. renoise 4-ever … ^.^

Burital - MBC10*** - best intro

danoise aka glixxando - Pump models*** - best composition

TwoThreeZero - JYU*** - best sounds

├── 00.1 - 20171114 Tue Mb10
very amzaing depth. really loved that epic atmo and how you use distorted sounds and how the never ending rythm end melody are evolving.

├── 21testers - Aerothetic
the intro is so amazing in this track … loved when the „beautiful-ness“ joined the glitchy voices. you create such warmth even if you use an ice cold and clear beat and ryhtm. cheered me up in this cold december time!

├── BasicMethods - 2017_deep_
hyptnotic! my mind was transported to a club in the future where AI birds can fly around in freedom. Really loved the last third with bassline and the bouncier beats.

├── Bean Machine - Insecticide Shower
This machines special insecticide is dangerous. I couldn’t stop thinking of a loong dying process of an insect. Are you really increasing the tempo somewhere in the beginning? Very nice effect in my head and I loved the many variations you offer.

├── BotB aka vivace - allmyidolsaredeadandmyenemiesareinpower
great hook! made me pushing the volume. I liked how you left room for both, the rap and the music. I never heard such hard beat music with rap.

├── Burital - MBC10***
Let’s be honest: That track made me join mutant breaks the first time after following it for three years now. That intro, that voice, that breakbeat gave this comp a face, a feeling, motivation! thanks man

├── Crash_Noise_Division-Shitstorm_Mutant_Breaks_10
I have many pictures in my head. Many memories are forever lost. So this song helped me looking for it and what I found was an old fear but smashed … and so it’s not a threat anymore.

├── danoise aka glixxando - Pump models***
Wonderful how you combined the theme with pump models and made such a beautiful sounding composition. You are making pump models to the most beautiful thing in the world and you are telling their story and how they live and what they need …. Great chords and progression the whole song. Very suspenseful!

├── deadhorse - dead575glitch2
In this song I had to close my eyes. And fuck, after that „drum with fielrecording-part“ I opened it again to be sure that I’m still living. Great style and sounds and glitchy stuff.

├── dfast - mbcx-hunger
Great dnb vibe here. Loved that drum fill which sounded like a reggae fill.

├── Djeroek aka Jonas78 - Jonas78 - vergeten (My noons version - 102 bpm)
This song is sonically very special. Whats happening? Should I walk left, right? CLAP! I’m amazed how the bassy sounds are teasing my brain and how creative you vary the beats.

├── EatMe - Another Backup Reminder
That song has a lot of groove. Very cool how you make the elements working together. You also bringing out that blues in it.

├── eee_9250 - mbc
I liked the voice chops and the footwork beat! Very neat bass drum. I had beaches and sunsets in my head!

├── encryptedmind - In Memoriam (Lucid 6AM Mix)
This track chilled me to an enormous amount. The vocals were taking care of me and I especially liked the drop at three minutes or something. Also that late back beat grooved away everything and I secretly wanted to rap real dip shit out of me.

├── ffx aka Hanz Meyzer - The Shit ][
There is a secret quest in everyones life. This song showed me that you have to become inspector gadget to solve it. Really enjoyed the depth of the track and the sounds that are sounding like a helicopter (to take off for the quest …). Cool simple melodies and nice length. Big up!

├── Garf aka Garfferen - Mutant X
Phuuuck. That bass synths are so damn good and they literally dance with youre beat creations. Sound design matches youre artist name.

├── Head For Hills - Ultraviolet
There are some very interesting moments in this track. I loved the fresh variations of the beat beginning in in the middle of the track. I also enjoyed the high bell sounds.

├── HeartBeatHero - Putcha Hey!
Putcha! Hey what a tune 1f642.png Very strong energy and so much positive feelings in this one. Liked the risers and the synth solo … felt really fresh. If I were on the dancefloor this tune could make me going home and start cleaning the whole flat with a big fat smile on the face.

├── hyperunknown - High off the ground
I had to think about my last trip to amsterdam. Afternoon, chill, coffee, „coffee“, friends, good times … high. Standing at the waters or hanging out in the park. Liked all the vocals in this song very much.

├── J-qak aka Kosmonaut - Ten Years Today
When I was younger I listened a lot to punkrock. This tune gave me some of that feelings and I really liked that. Nice voices and chords with a heavy industrial beat.

├── Kommandotolken aka Xkernel - Max Masterad
Oh yes that intro. After that intro you hit me with that jungle. Heavy basses inside my body and the song never bored me. It has so many interesting good moments and I like that the vocals showed up again sometimes. Liked the decrease of the tempo in the end!

├── Komu - The Bouncer
Fantastic atmosphere with special sounds. Every repetition of of that four2floor got me higher. And suddenly: a break and after that you groove that shit out of that synths.

├── Land of Bits - Mutant Glitch Shit - Type-A
For me this tune got you with it’s first second. Nice melodies and fantastic melancholic feeling. Liked that glitches were the pitch of the synths are nicely detunes. That gave it’s tune so much tension. I also liked that pumping beat.

├── Mars64 - UnqualifiedSuccess-MutantBreaks-010
Vibez. Loved that dancehally bass drum in the beginning and how you came back to it after the heavy breaks. Soundscape in the back is atmospheric and the vocals began to toast over that kick.

├── Msymiakos - Tribute To Mutant Breaks
Okay captain. I’m fucking ready to take off. Awesome breaks, awesome pad synths. I especially liked when beat and bass played with each other alone. Spacy trippy jungle beat … loved it!

├── Neurogami - Mutant_Breaks_10_Master
What a special sound is going on here. This is cracking up my mind and it put some buckets of crazy colors in my brain. I love that panning effects and the psychedelic feeling in this song very much.

├── PBF - BalkFriday (Mutant Breaks 10)
Wow I love how you mix this „in youre face“ beats and hits with this very awesome synth melodys. Good elements nicely combined to an interesting piece of audio. I ended with prejudices for this genre today.

├── powieff aka acodreon - sith tit shit shit blow my whistle bitx0E
Okay first I thought what the hell is this. But how you evolve this crazy crunchiness with beat and the many sonically interessting sounds and noise got me into this heavy noisy metallic dystopian future.

├── Raegae - ShittyDub
I’m really into reaggae and dancehall music. I so much wanted to grab an instrument and jam with you. Nice tune, cool guitar moments in this one. Nice FX in the end.

├── Redman - Air
A very relaxing track. A beautiful creation. I really thought I was starting to breath deeper. There is really some fresh air in it. I liked the space voices later in the track. It generated many great pictures in my head of unknown planets.

├── Sam aka Wrong - Know Dat
Hell yeah. That voices and pads alongside this jungle break gave me a tropical vibe. Loved the jamaican vocal sample and the breathe sounds. Good rhythm with break and bass synth as well!

├── sokoban - can_you_feel_the_shit
Nice tune with a great funny feel in it. I liked the percussive elements and how they interact with each other. Had fun with the vocals!

├── stailer - Ten For Eternity (feat eSoreni)
Deep spacy atmosphere with awesome vocals and I liked how processed it with sone small fx. I like the orchestral feel. Could be a good good soundtrack for many things.

├── TheBellows - Holy Shit-Mutant Breaks #10

Very beautiful beats. I really loved that moment when you dropped in the bass. For me that was the best moment in the tune. What a bass … fresh, nice and clean. Liked youre funny “first version fun track” with the shitty theme as well :slight_smile:

├── TwoThreeZero - JYU***
Very very very amazing sounding glitches in this tune. Listened to it at zürich mainstation and I forgot the track number cause I didn‘t want to miss one effect or happening. Really loved that high steady hi hat.

├── ulrikkold aka Coolium - Mikrohouse
Thats a minimalistic beat with clicks and very interesting happenings in the background. This sounds are creating a strange but good groove with the clicks.

└── ΔBįSƧȔš ṼØȊÐƎ aka Vaeprism - Decagon-Mutant_Breaks10_Vaeprism
You are opening portals to an alien world! Fantastic sound design on the bass here … like its variations of sound. The odd rhythm got me here!

My votes:

deadhorse - dead575glitch2 ( that’s some skill, right there, awesome )

Crash_Noise_Division-Shitstorm_Mutant_Breaks_10 ( i love the raw energy of this, reminds me of lightning bolt )

TwoThreeZero - JYU ( kinda reminds me of autechre, the vibe i get off this is amazing )

Well, this was a very good year, all participants produced some pretty cool stuff, can’t wait for the next one!

Really hectic week for me and I will post my reviews very shortly. Special thanks to Conner_Bw, Danoise and the MBC participants :)) Long live Renoise, the most beautiful music software on Earth which is a piece of human art.

Very tough to figure out which ones to vote for because all the tracks have their strengths and sound great, and all the genres are varied too which further complicates the process. So like a buffet meal I am going to choose the ones that come first to my mind in a First Course, Dinner, Dessert pattern.

Incoming…:

1: Wrong - Know Dat

This is one the lost tracks from Goldie’s Timeless album or that is what I thought the whole time double checking that I did not mix the track playlist up with my other DnB playlists. I really like the amen break juggling and the selection of sounds and poundy sine bass subs. Its a very professional sounding DnB and Jungle tune that deserves to come out on wax for sure. Why dont you submit this to Metalheadz label? It sounds as if it fits in perfectly in their catalog both in tone and in technicality. Got to see the Renoise file (if you submitted) and leech off some of the methods employed :slight_smile:

2: powieff aka acodreon - sith tit shit shit blow my whistle bitx0E

This is right up my alley. The last time I heard something this grinding was the track Black Bomb (from Josh Wink’s one and only artist album from the now defunkt Ovum records HereHear with collab with Trent Reznor) and that sounds a little comatose and predictable compared to this sonic assault. If this was done in one live session so much kudos to you bro!! I love the drum cymbals and repetitive and grating hats that underpin the entire later part of the track till the end. I love Noisecore and this is one exceptional tune that will stay in my playlist for a long time. The visuals I got from listening to this track was visiting a kaleidoscopic factory building and getting lost in the maze with black smoke belching out of all corners and unbearable heat building up with machinery going berzerk with their zombie like stampede as they listen to no one and trample over anything in their path - worst part is that you cant hear your own screams since the overall DIN drowns your pain. I think this is the defintion of painkiller.

3: sokoban - can you feel the shit

I just love this one! The tom toms going Pom-Pum-Pom, POMM–puM-POM is for some reason very sexy sounding to me, like an exercise video that features some really sensual models (blonde obviously with full cheeks and big hazel eyes and red lips all pouty) showing their asses in full zoom on camera and looking back at you naughtily from behind while you develop a fetish for their twirly and long back neck hair strands that stick out in tendrils that glow in the backlighting and silouette their heads and they have their high messy buns and pigtails bobbing and bouncing the whole time. Its a very sweaty and therefore a wet dream for me. I am keeping this in my playlist!

Love you all and this brotherly and friendly ‘meta contest’ camaraderie proves that this world still has a few things left that makes this planet worth living in and loving in :drummer:

3: sokoban - can you feel the shit

I just love this one! The tom toms going Pom-Pum-Pom, POMM–puM-POM is for some reason very sexy sounding to me, like an exercise video that features some really sensual models (blonde obviously with full cheeks and big hazel eyes and red lips all pouty) showing their asses in full zoom on camera and looking back at you naughtily from behind while you develop a fetish for their twirly and long back neck hair strands that stick out in tendrils that glow in the backlighting and silouette their heads and they have their high messy buns and pigtails bobbing and bouncing the whole time. Its a very sweaty and therefore a wet dream for me. I am keeping this in my playlist!

you nailed it with this review encryptedmind :slight_smile:

My top 3! Reviews will follow, but probably after the voting deadline. Sorry, it’s crazy town up in here.
FANTASTIC WORK here, I’m seriously blown away by some songs, permanent spots in playlists left and right.

Let’s go! Top 3, I bow to thee:

deadhorse -dead575glitch2
This is a masterpiece, man. What else to say? Seriously, where can I get/hear/buy/download more?! It’s like Amon Tobin and Koan Sound had a love baby

TwoThreeZero - JYU
Just effing wow. It’s not just a song, it’s a journey on its own. Its structure is amazing, and to me sonically mind blowing. Everything executed top notch! Where does one find more of your work?!

encryptedmind - In Memoriam (Lucid 6AM Mix)

Ohhhh snappppp, 11/10 would totally put a ring on this one. I play it a LOT actually, it’s also very well received by all my friends, my collegues… Amazing atmosphere, fantastic beat, I can listen to this stuff for hours on end.

Don’t forget: Participants who don’t vote in this thread before December 16th are disqualified.

11 participants haven’t voted yet.

I will accept votes up until Saturday morning when I wake up in Montreal, QC, Canada.

Good times.

i would love if…anyone of you…make a (track from scratch) or at least a big portion…of this type of music :slight_smile: …and put it out in a video

genuinely interested

I’d be happy to share some xrns-files so you can pick the beats apart if you’re interested. I have no videos, but my process is pretty much top to bottom, one hit at a time.