Mutant Breaks #10

(Edit: 10participants)

Nice varied selection of styles this year, mah votes go to;

1. 21testers - Aerothetic : lovely granular sounddesign on the vocals in the intro, the braindance is strong in this one. Melodic vibes on top of glitched out breaks ftw! Nice melodic variation around the 2 minute mark, I mucho dig!

2. Msymiakos - Tribute To Mutant Breaks: Proper oldschool jungle! :drummer:

3)encryptedmind - In Memoriam (Lucid 6AM Mix): Very nice & chill offbeat style hiphop.

I’ve wrote some words on the other entries across the few free minutes I had this last week. In alphabetical order (disclaimer, these are just opinions of a dude on the internets, take with appropriate amount of salt scoops. Also, I didn’t check out the xrns’s (yet), so no kudo’s if you’re jumping through technical tracking hoops :wink: )):

00.1 - 20171114 Tue Mb10: Quite lush cinematic mood, synth swooshes and atmospheric percussion. I like it B). Felt it could use some more (counter melody) variation earlier on, the piano bit is ok imo.

BasicMethods - 2017_deep_ :dirty, sparse house. I think you can do more with it. the (sub) bass introduction around half of the track is cool imo, but feels a bit tacked on as it doesn’t seem to evolve in the rest of the track. Probably a style thing :slight_smile:

Bean Machine - Insecticide Shower :industrial’esque dsp weirdness on an alien warehouse techno tip , good stuff. Although centered around a samey timbre palette all throughout, there’s enough variation to keep things fresh.

BotB aka vivace - allmyidolsaredeadandmyenemiesareinpower : Proper energy! :yeah:

Burital - MBC10 : Lol @ the cracktro vocals in the beginning + 4.20 songlength ftw. Not the kind of dnb I lust for myself (the breaks drum patterns are too monotome imo), but this will work on a dancefloor I’m sure.

Crash_Noise_Division-Shitstorm_Mutant_Breaks_10 :Love (ride/cymbal filled) heavy manic breaks. I feel this one could benefit from some eq tweaking in the higher freq department though or maybe I’m listening too loud on mah headphones? :slight_smile: Have the snares standout more compared to the cymbal crashes/rest of the tracks elements, maybe?

danoise aka glixxando - pump models (mbc#10): Brings a smile to my face, in Dutch we would say ‘hoempapa music’, put on our wooden shoes and do the running man :slight_smile: . Traditionally flavored arrangement with lofi injections, some sounds sound familiar though hhmmm :wink: .

deadhorse - dead575glitch2 : Dsp skills to pay the bills, layered & all over the place stylistically, cool stuff. From hiphop to freejazz I dig. That bouncing ball delay style on some of the sounds though is getting a bit cliche/overused imo.

dfast - mbcx-hunger :Nice breaks, energetic D&B for sure, lill too run of the mill for my taste as far as D&B goes and on the short side. Perhaps worth it to prolong it though, add some breakdowns, drops, variations the whole shebang?

EatMe - Another Backup Reminder : simple but effective B). I like the staircase kind of melody. The bass seems to drown out the drums a bit here on my headphones, more emphasis on the snares wouldn’t hurt imo.

eee_9250 - mbc : Proper juke’y bass flavored rave music, cool stuff.

ffx aka Hanz Meyzer - The Shit ][:Nice fast breaks (heard these before mmm ;)) on top of arpy synth patterns, proper melodic action movie vibes. The ending leaves you wanting more. I wouldn’t mind some subbass booms emphasizing the beats every now and then. (The gurgly bass reminds me of a prodigy track a bit)

Garf aka Garfferen - Mutant X : some creative beat programming/layering in this, not feeling the melodic elements much though .

Head For Hills - Ultraviolet :: I like the spaciousness of the melodic elements, going for that big sound if a bit repetitive. There doesn’t seem to be any sign of bass in this one though, bass-lines never hurt imo :wink: .

HeartBeatHero - Putcha Hey! : Promising rave stab vibes in the intro, sound reminds me of Prodigy’s the experience album. Overall good mix & happy vibes :smiley: .

hyperunknown - High off the ground :poppy, lightness, love the mellow pad stabs / don’t like the vocals much.

J-qak aka Kosmonaut - Ten Years Today : short entry, not a style I listen to a lot, for what it’s worth I can appreciate the effort, will check out the xrns and play with those demonic vocals :wink: .

Kommandotolken aka Xkernel - Max Masterad :Quite dirty jungle, I likes. Doesn’t really go anywhere, felt the ravestabs could have been brought in earlier, maybe?

Komu - The Bouncer :As far as experimental mutant breaks go 4 to the floor kicks should be on the bottom of the list, no? :wink: . Nice mood, crunchy bass and I like the use of vocal’ish sounds/filtering. Overall thumbs up!

Land of Bits - Mutant Glitch Shit - Type-A :clean and loud, chiptuny electronica.

Mars64 - UnqualifiedSuccess-MutantBreaks-010 : Dope drums & bass for sure, wasn’t feeling the vocals much in this, too many words distracting from the loungy pads vibe, the whole feels a bit mismatched for my taste. Leave all the tax reduction bits out and just leave the great charade sample ;-).

Neurogami - Mutant_Breaks_10_Master :Weird, groovy vibes, experimental soundclash of teh traditional with the glitch, a bit disorientating I’m not sure if I like it yet which is a good thing I guess. I will need to listen more.

PBF - BalkFriday (Mutant Breaks 10): you execute the breakcore gabber well :P, not in the mood for it (read: headache) for this kind of energy right now honestly, but I’ve put it in my killingspree playlist for future killings.

powieff aka acodreon - sith tit shit shit blow my whistle bitx0E :Distorted cruncher, I like the relentlessness of it all, especially with the repeating distorted screechy flute stab of what have you. Another one for the killingspree playist, this competition keeps on giving :slight_smile: .

Raegae - ShittyDub :rough around the edges, charming :guitar:.

Redman - Air : Lushness B).

Robodub - Octo Man And His Ash: fun & playful, not what I’m looking for tonight. Little bit too all over the place without focus, perhaps listening tomorrow is better? :wink:

Sam aka Wrong - Know Dat :Proper jungle vibes, loving all the elements, massive subbass, dreamy pads & classic breaks. Good stuff.

sokoban - can_you_feel_the_shit :lol @ that 80s snare/drumkit/cowbell, cracktro vibes galore.

stailer - Ten For Eternity (feat eSoreni): this song has breakcore remixing potential imo :slight_smile: , as is, it reminds me of a weird eurovision songfestival entry, appreciate the effort, but not my bag of tea yadayada.

TheBellows - Holy Shit-Mutant Breaks #10 :hah, that sine sub bass moving through a bunch of octaves in the beginning, was hoping for more of this kinda exaggeration all throughout, but… it moves into other wobblier vibes. I think the beats can be louder, especially the small amen section is drowned out by the other sounds imo.

TwoThreeZero - JYU :rainy sunday moods galore, I like the effecting/glitching in this one. Good quality shit.

ulrikkold aka Coolium - Mikrohouse :nice to hear a clicksncuts submission, only a few elements but doesn’t feel empty, must be that boomy bass loop.

ΔBįSƧȔš ṼØȊÐƎ aka Vaeprism - Decagon-Mutant_Breaks10_Vaeprism : I like that you’ve tried to incorporate extra-musical onion layers using the number 10 as base. I wouldn’t mind hearing this same track using a different bass sound though, couldn’t really get into it.

1: Wrong - Know Dat

This is one the lost tracks from Goldie’s Timeless album or that is what I thought the whole time double checking that I did not mix the track playlist up with my pther DnB playlists.

Thanks for this, encryptedmind! The vibe you’re describing here is exactly what I was going for. But I think you’ll be disappointed by the xrns. It’s nothing special and a lot of sounds and fx are missing since they’re plugins. You can find it in one of my previous posts in this thread.

My votes, top 3, no special order.

I will try to get my mini-reviews for all the tracks in before the deadline; these are the top 3 tracks that stood out for me:

00.1 - 20171114 Tue Mb10.mp3

Loping sort of percussion with sweeping ambient washes and whirs behind a good melody.

Komu - The Bouncer.ogg

Great sort of “persistent” beat and nice fuzz-buzz bottom riff.

ulrikkold aka Coolium - Mikrohouse.ogg

Terrific quasi-glitch minimalism.

FUCK ME! I ALWAYS miss it ???

…Without fail, EVERYTIME! =P

Hi.

Thank you for this great competition. I had tons of fun while working on track along my daughter, cause she was dancing to it :o I had even more fun while listening to your productions and I know that I have to work hard. All of the tracks are marvelous, hard as coin to choose only 3 of them.

PBF - BalkFriday

21testers - Aerothetic

TwoThreeZero - JYU

gl hf

Thank you for all for feedback, much appreciated.

Perhaps the nature of the ways in which I experiment mean results are often hit and miss.

I am finding the benefits of deadlines as I can often spend months or a year etc on producing something. It do find it challenging, though i think it is healthy.

I am still learning the art of decision making quickly, as it is something I prefer to discover without time constraints, to best benefit what the track may need and it to form on it’s own accord so to speak.

Listening to my track a lot more since submitting it and I think the bass is more dominant than i would normally have and some tone/timbre could be worked on.

I may have also spent more time “glitching” the track and respective sounds that would also best fit it. I say this not to be all “if I had more time” etc. though to appreciate the advice and that I suspect concerns raised may have been solved during my normal process.

I predict the more deadlines I work towards, these gaps will diminish

(I have a calendar on my wall now for instance hehe). I will in turn,be much closer to producing similar results within time constraints and therefore have more room for growth.

I share this not for ego (for instance, I am content in knowing what I create can not appeal to all, this is the same for everyone), rather that I prefer to have as much transparency into my process as possible and hence felt that I needed to address it.

Pressed for time (teehee), I will just be submitting votes this one. If i am able to expand on that I will. Much thanks to everyone involved, solid compilation of variety. Best of luck to everyone too!

1. TwoThreeZero - JYU
  2. Deadhorse - dead575glitch2
  3. Djeroek aka Jonas78 - Jonas78 - vergeten (My noons version - 102 bpm)

Crash_Noise_Division-Shitstorm_Mutant_Breaks_10 :Love (ride/cymbal filled) heavy manic breaks. I feel this one could benefit from some eq tweaking in the higher freq department though or maybe I’m listening too loud on mah headphones? :slight_smile: Have the snares standout more compared to the cymbal crashes/rest of the tracks elements, maybe?

No you’re absolutely right. I kinda rushed thru recording the drums, just used a pair of large diaphragm condensers run thru an Electro Harmonix Platform for compression. Some of the high freqs are lost from trying to filter out a resonant ringing from the kit. I tried to keep all my other effects down to in-built Renoise components, just couldn’t quite polish the turd well enough.

Crash_Noise_Division-Shitstorm_Mutant_Breaks_10 ( i love the raw energy of this, reminds me of lightning bolt )

Hell yes, one of my favorite bands! Can we be friends?

My reviews:

00.1 - 20171114 Tue Mb10.mp3: Quite nice. A change from the usual EDM/DnB stuff. Lopping sort of percussion with sweeping ambient washes + whirrs behind a good melody. One of my top picks.

21testers - Aerothetic.ogg: DnB sort of track with lots of great swishy/swirly noise and pitch-shifting tones. Plus interesting counterpoint melodies.

BasicMethods - 2017_deep_.mp3: Nice sweeping pad sounds and gleepy-bleepy tones start this off. Then a steady 4/4 with some shuffling high-hats. This then drops out and you get a toned-down bass-centric passage. Soon the hats come back. All with some sweet ambient tones and chirps.

Bean Machine - Insecticide Shower.m4a: Pretty driving kick-heavy beat. Nice backing gleepy sounds, like copped from a video game then turned inside out. Good change-up in the middle too with twitchy percussion and noises. Overall there is good development through the track.

BotB aka vivace - allmyidolsaredeadandmyenemiesareinpower.mp3: Heavy track, industrial-ish, with vocals.

Burital - MBC10.mp3: Starts with some DnB fast break-beat and a voice over. A third in it shifts to a nice shimmery bopping riff. Good development as the song progresses.

Crash_Noise_Division-Shitstorm_Mutant_Breaks_10.ogg: Very busy with DnB-ish percussion and whirring background. Lots of crashing cymbals. Like Buddy Rich on crack.

danoise aka glixxando - Pump models.ogg: Good, odd oompa-oompa rhythm. Interesting.

deadhorse - dead575glitch2.ogg: Noisey, plucking, scrapping. Then goes into a slow beat / rhythm with buzzy plucking whirs over top. Later it changes again. Lots of noises and stuff.

dfast - mbcx-hunger.mp3: Sweeping echoing reverb noises give way to a DnB thing. Then those reverby things fade out and the beat gets forefronted.

Djeroek aka Jonas78 - Jonas78 - vergeten (My noons version - 102 bpm).ogg: Glitchy slow-ride rhythm that sits under some chopped DnB stuff.

EatMe - Another Backup Reminder.mp3: Disappointing. Feels like it was tossed off in a fit of pique, with little consideration.

eee_9250 - mbc.mp3: Good splittery high-hats, with vocals

encryptedmind - In Memoriam (Lucid 6AM Mix).ogg: Retro-intro with vinyl surface noise , some choir stuff over some distorted bass line.

ffx aka Hanz Meyzer - The Shit ][.m4a Echoing pads over speedy percussion

Garf aka Garfferen - Mutant X.ogg: Notable buzz-fuzz bass over splattery percussion

Head For Hills - Ultraviolet.mp3: Speedy drums and rapid high-hats over echoy pads, with a chill melody

HeartBeatHero - Putcha Hey!.mp3: Danceable piece that makes me want to dig up some glo-stiks.

hyperunknown - High off the ground.mp3: Echoing reverby pads and DnB percussion, with some vocals added in to change things up.

J-qak aka Kosmonaut - Ten Years Today.mp3: Snarling vocals over echoing verby pads and speedy DnB percussion.

Kommandotolken aka Xkernel - Max Masterad.ogg: The instrumentation is nice, over DnB percussion

Komu - The Bouncer.ogg: Great “persistent” beat and nice fuzz-buzz bottom riff.

Land of Bits - Mutant Glitch Shit - Type-A.ogg Noisy riffs over slice-n-diced percussion tracks; and, of course, noisy is good.

Mars64 - UnqualifiedSuccess-MutantBreaks-010.ogg: Spoken-word recording over choppy beats.

Msymiakos - Tribute To Mutant Breaks.mp3: Now it’s Buddy Rich on acid underpinning reverby pads, reminding us: 10 years! (And counting!)

Neurogami - Mutant_Breaks_10_Master.ogg: My track. A challenge for some, but a dance-noise masterpiece for many.

PBF - BalkFriday (Mutant Breaks 10).mp3: Noisy sputtering beats over shifting reverby pads

powieff aka acodreon - sith tit shit shit blow my whistle bitx0E.ogg: Nice noises over glitchy-kinda beats. Good noise variations going on.

Raegae - ShittyDub.ogg: DnB drums and then reggae-not-quite-reggae. Interesting idea.

Redman - Air.mp3: Sort of ambient. Good sound washes. Sine-ish lead over the top and a simple beat underneath. Pretty chill feeling.

Robodub - Octo Man And His Ash.ogg: Nice percussion, very percolating. Chopped vocals as well (such that you hear phonemes not words. Slick)

Sam aka Wrong - Know Dat.ogg: Sampled vox over sliced-n-diced DnB percussion.

sokoban - can_you_feel_the_shit.mp3: Nice octaved bass intro. Good variations in the beat.

stailer - Ten For Eternity (feat eSoreni).mp3: Some symphonic sounds and pads and good rhythm

TheBellows - Holy Shit-Mutant Breaks #10.ogg: Nice noises, with good instrumentation mixed with some wub-wub-wub.

TwoThreeZero - JYU.mp3: Echoy background noises with semi-random percussion over a steady rhythmic beat.

ulrikkold aka Coolium - Mikrohouse.ogg Pretty minimalist. Beat is often mainly a click. Stands out with it’s quiet mood and atmospherics. In my top three.

ΔBįSƧȔš ṼØȊÐƎ aka Vaeprism - Decagon-Mutant_Breaks10_Vaeprism.ogg: Wubby-wub lead with cool squelchy underpinnings.

Recap of my (previously posted) top three (in alphanumeric order):

00.1 - 20171114 Tue Mb10.mp3

Komu - The Bouncer.ogg

ulrikkold aka Coolium - Mikrohouse.ogg

wait wait, votes & reviews very soon … argh , so good tracks :walkman:

I’m really sorry i haven’t been able to vote as too much shit has happened here lately, had to completely destroy my living room because of a leakage from the appartement above as it had started growing fungus behind the wallpaper. At the same time i have been ill and i’m on an antibiotics cure. If that wasn’t enough i’m drowning in work and has to work overtime today. I really haven’t listened properly to all the tracks yet so i think it would be unfair to just throw out some votes.

Reviews:

dfast - mbcx-hunger

Nice dnb, wicked huge atmosphere, very danceable, could be longer

Mars64 - UnqualifiedSuccess-MutantBreaks-010

Meditative groovy flying atmo, full of angular, crunchy, sharp breakbeattricks

EatMe - Another Backup Reminder

Made me wanna dance right away, I like the bassline work, damn nice choppy/hoppy beats

Redman - Air

Get me relaxed and flow into something mysterious happy memories. Hoped to hear more rhythm changes

BotB aka vivace - allmyidolsaredeadandmyenemiesareinpower

Dat rap and dat distortion is perfect !!!

Robodub - Octo Man And His Ash

Very nice instrument magic going on in XRNS

Neurogami - Mutant_Breaks_10_Master

Magnetic hypnoticing sounds with nice electronic tension harmonies

stailer - Ten For Eternity (feat eSoreni)

Oh god, so lovely singing. She sang those samples specially for this tune?

Land of Bits - Mutant Glitch Shit - Type-A

Proper bassy glitchy bends. In XRNS that is interesting how you control repeater/drumloop randomly with LFOs. And that last pattern is funny if u unmute it

21testers - Aerothetic

XRNS uses too much CPU on my computer so have to listen ogg version. So much going on in the mixer, I really need to get better machine. interesting glitchy grooves

BasicMethods - 2017_deep_

First the track felt bit monotonic but then those genius rhythms and shakers kick in. After the song I felt that that was a perfect kick sample, it is somehow loose and tight sounding at the same time

J-qak aka Kosmonaut - Ten Years Today

I enjoy those distorted guitar themes, and tune has balance in composition

eee_9250 - mbc

Houseacidteknosingersinnaouterspacereverb

powieff aka acodreon - sith tit shit shit blow my whistle bitx0E

Renoise crashed when i tried to listen this, I can not make it happen again though, might be because I had none of those plugins installed. Is the XRNS file slower tempo than ogg-one, just curious? Anyhow: Dark, powerful and creapy tune

Komu - The Bouncer

That bass told ‘n’ spoke me stories and brought I news from the immense fascinating faraway world of cyborg concerns

sokoban - can_you_feel_the_shit

This track is good shit. Can’t quit singing along …

HeartBeatHero - Putcha Hey!

This tune put me back to the 90’s

Djeroek aka Jonas78 - Jonas78 - vergeten (My noons version - 102 bpm)

Misgive atmosphere where you foresee something soon arriving , oh, it was a breakcore beat and a army of glitches

Sam aka Wrong - Know Dat

!! Jungle Vibeees !! ‘n’ vigorous basslines wif amensoup

Garf aka Garfferen - Mutant X

Shivers going through my spine from time to time because of some excellent execution/realization of glitchy effects

TheBellows - Holy Shit-Mutant Breaks #10

Ouch, so compelling rhythm and feel in this tune. Makes me want to dance and bounce weird styles

TwoThreeZero - JYU

Chillout tune, surfing on gentle wobble waves. I like that kick sample, it is authoritative and well mixed

ulrikkold aka Coolium - Mikrohouse

This tune stand out with its minimalism and makes you want to listen closely what the heck is going on there

ΔBįSƧȔš ṼØȊÐƎ aka Vaeprism - Decagon-Mutant_Breaks10_Vaeprism

Tense wobblybobbly story in here, It would be nice to know how those wobble samples are created/animated?

Crash_Noise_Division-Shitstorm_Mutant_Breaks_10

Drummer gone shiatMad. You played those drumloops live by yourself?

encryptedmind - In Memoriam (Lucid 6AM Mix)

Melancholic tune in an euphoric way, love that jazzysteppyswingyfunky beat !!! Puts me in a warm relaxing safe mood.

PBF - BalkFriday (Mutant Breaks 10)

HaardzStyyleeeeee!! I am SO going to play that at some gig, when I want the audience to go hightek-nuts. I get the vision that I am breakdancing full power with exoskeleton on and all of a sudden gravity flips upsidedown and I try like insane to grab ground, roots, grass, moss whatever to not to fly into the sky because of these kicking antigravity pulses : O

00.1 - 20171114 Tue Mb10

I feel some weird hope that I am going to survive and then some gigantic energywaves from above gives me shivers. Masterpiece story about mystical feelings !!!

deadhorse - dead575glitch2

All kinds of Glitches and supersweet effects

Kommandotolken aka Xkernel - Max Masterad

Danceable vicelyprogrammed junglemess, love those harmonic tom melodies

Msymiakos - Tribute To Mutant Breaks

Danceable groovy jungle hit with tight basslines

ffx aka Hanz Meyzer - The Shit ][

What is that , where I got thrown now ??? into the insane flangy jungle banger, also good for dancing

Head For Hills - Ultraviolet

Reverby breakbeat adventure

hyperunknown - High off the ground

Pleasant Roller

danoise aka glixxando - Pump models

CPU boiling when tried to listen XRNS. There is something funny, loose and steady at the sametime in this tune

Burital - MBC10

AWWwrgh, gets you rolling/grooving right from the beginning, with tight beats

Bean Machine - Insecticide Shower

Greatest lazer wobbly beebs rhythm I have heard

My votes:
1. encryptedmind - In Memoriam (Lucid 6AM Mix)
2. PBF - BalkFriday (Mutant Breaks 10)
3. 00.1 - 20171114 Tue Mb10.mp3

First time in MBC history I really tried to listen XRNS versions if possible, and it was nice to notice that many songs were native Renoise and worked in Linux. Longterm dream: one day I gonna listen through all those MBC XRNS tunes and learn hellofa lot new trix.

!!! HUGE THANKS TO YOALL PARTICIPANTS, THIS IS PRECIOUS JOURNEY !!!

@Djeroek, @Botb, @Raegae :

Personal thanks to all of you for voting for my entry this year and your cool feedbacks too :slight_smile: I love your tracks too!

@Land of Bits: I love cute chicks ?

To complete my participation here comes my reviews:

├── 00.1 - 20171114 Tue Mb10.mp3

This is a really great intro tune given its run time and sounds a lot like Delerium’s early work like their track Duende and some of their ambient works as well, sets the mood of the playlist and segues rather nicely. Tribal sounding with a sombre and smooth pads gently flowing in with an arpeggiating melody as an ostinato and electric guitar like distortion washing over the texture with piano undertoning it towards the end and pizzicato like stabs drawing the circle around the foundation gives a very ancient alien ship landing protocol movie sequence. Nice ambient entry this year.

├── 21testers - Aerothetic.ogg

Total wizardzy intro with vox sample granular fx, others are saying it sounds like Aphex but to me it sounds like the track “Are you There?”(Josh Wink) and what he does with the sample line in terms of the emotive effect. The rest is very IDM with a cool and happy melody riff over spastic beats and machine snare rolls characteristic of this style. The pith bends on the melody line in the middle of the track is a nice variation on the theme. Can I say it?? Really? IT SOUNDS LIKE APHEX TWIIIIINNN … (in a very good way), there I said it…phew.

├── BasicMethods - 2017_deep_.mp3

Funky as hell and smooth as cream! The build is very well paced and the shuffling and stuttering hats and snares is really jamming here and the phased rhodes piano and pads are very jazzy and sounds pitch shifted or that tasty chord memory kind of thing which uses transpose instead of new midi notes changing the entire timbre in the process. Sun flares and glares come out really well with this harmonic riff and the bird like riffs have a nice shuffling that is very reminiscent of French House genre swing like Casssius and Benjamin Diamond with the “da-oh” male vocal samples. I love French house and their variant of swing, Love the way the song ends just taking the entire mix away and keeping the pads and rhodes on repeat at a very low volume. I am keeping this in my playlist for a long time.

├── Bean Machine - Insecticide Shower.m4a

Fluid banger with a solid intro fx texture. When the snare kicks in you know what you are dealing with. Very good sound selection that all complement each other. I used to listen to Front Line Assembly and this sounds like straight out of their roster of remixes. The pounding bassline kept me riveted the whole listening time and the incorporation of glitch in an industrial tune done well is a very welcome thing. Relentless. This entry reminds me to do some industrial compositions as well, I would however add some vocals over it :slight_smile:

├── BotB aka vivace - allmyidolsaredeadandmyenemiesareinpower.mp3

Hip hop tech core is my new favourite with white boy vocals over a very un-hip hop (black hip hop) like backing yet total hip hop in vibe. This ventures into industrial rap rock with a very addictive snare and the ominous drone and pads and bass texture, the use of tritones makes this a devil of a track! The feedback guitar hits like a hammer on a nail. Its the Nu Metal vibe that I totally dig and the lyrics make sense and are very good indeed. The only rap entry and really gym pumping ready or if you are watching a political documentary and thinking of starting an arson riot, play this on your phones or megaphones :slight_smile:

├── Burital - MBC10.mp3

Ten years of this shit, WOW! Cool intro with really accelerating snare rolls and hits. The harmony elements remind me of a Mylene Farmer song remix and I could listen to this as if its one of her A-list remixes or a a standalone track, I gain with both. One track two feels. Straight up DnB for the rest of the track with a powerful kick and nice drops, played this in full volume and the synth pings kept my head bobbing the whole time.

├── Crash_Noise_Division-Shitstorm_Mutant_Breaks_10.ogg

Everyone likes the rain (me too!). Starts of all synthy and breaks down into a rather crazy live drum break session with fx spassing all over the place. Its like a jazzrock session tape was stolen from a studio and a sonic lab rat thought of doing something with it. If this is live instrumentation I give a big thumbs up for the drum work and the composition hold very well and is a treat, its like an IDM tune done with live drums and done a bit sombre rather than plinky plonky:) Ends with rain too…

├── danoise aka glixxando - Pump models.ogg

Cute melody intro with nice accented dotted notes and a nursery rhyme like theme! Like a toy music box starting the journey on a theme park music video and taking you for a ride as it tells you its story. The pump models graphic also evokes grand visuals of how water flows from one pump end to the next with 3D visuals going inside the pipes and all. The folkish accorrdian like primary harmonic riff is a great reminder that this song composition might be like a folk tune minimal tech reworking of a classic. The changes in tone and timbre are superb and classy and it can remind you of the “C’est La Vie” nature of life in general, its ups and downs and that how it is one journey you need to take with a pumping heart beat at its core. Play this one loud and over multiple listens the finer details come out. Excellent!

├── deadhorse - dead575glitch2.ogg

Martial arts extraordinaire! This guy… wow… conception is immaculate and the sound design is killer. The drums solo thing is what Crash Noise Division also did with his version and it sounds like you are both living in the same building or something?? The steady groove, check, girthy drone bass, check, IDM feels check, drum solo, check, FX, check and check. While having Asian instruments at its melodic core I still feel a lot like a Western Cowboy blues based adventure story. Full of atmosphere and emotion. Stuck in my playlist.

├── dfast - mbcx-hunger.mp3

Very cool intro and buildup and runs for a shorter time and still delivers absolutely well, its like a bridge DnB track on a longer album that you permanently keep on repeat cos its addictive and the vinyl ending is just awesome. It also works as a title track to a thriller series, very visual!

├── Djeroek aka Jonas78 - Jonas78 - vergeten (My noons version - 102 bpm).ogg

Thoroughly enjoyable! Space FX caught my attention on this one while relaxing and listening to it on phones. Starts with hip hop and brings in breaks at double time with a very euphoric melody line and fitting major feel harmony. The variations on the primary theme recur with very effective FX and sound palette choices. I thought it might run longer as I wanted more :slight_smile:

├── EatMe - Another Backup Reminder.mp3

DnB with a super positive vibe that is very floor friendly. The basic elements are all there and as a tune it totally stands on its own and the overall mix is very good. The title is a total no brainer for all of us !!

├── eee_9250 - mbc.mp3

Addictive! The hats and stuff almost sounds like its on note repeat on my MPC. Nice sampling and synths. Claps are sooo nicee! Someone on this thread mentioned Orbital and yes I agree the Halcyon vibes come very well off it. You got the samples from a Meg video which made me rediscover some Japanese pop music and thanks for that too. The mix is very relaxing.

├── encryptedmind - In Memoriam (Lucid 6AM Mix).ogg

Yea its my tune and its all live midi recorded arranged straight into and in Renoise and my first complete Renoise track that I have ever made from scratch, so its special to me :). It was also done on my younger brother’s PC Gaming rig for the time being…

├── ffx aka Hanz Meyzer - The Shit ][.m4a

Very energetic bass line and fast pace that is aggressive like an industrial dnb track. Love the composition, progression and pump and strangely sounds good over bad traffic jams when walking working like caffeine out here in India, which makes it a good addition in my playlist.

├── Garf aka Garfferen - Mutant X.ogg

Competition to ffx for an extremely similar feel track.
The bass intro riff grabs you by the shoulder side and drags you in and keeps you at it the whole track, its the primary driver. The drums are propulsive and powerful, very good mix on this one, best played loud on a bass bin :slight_smile:

├── Head For Hills - Ultraviolet.mp3

Thriller soundtrack and the name “Ultraviolet” is a very well fitting name to a music video of a tech horror story or a cyber escape routine. It sounds very industrial to me and the 16 note feedback wail on the background is nice and like a nail scraping, binds you for attention. The mood intensity done just using textures is admirable and very well put together.

├── HeartBeatHero - Putcha Hey!.mp3

Poochaa Hey!!Love this one, with old school vibes and synth stabs. Best not to overthink and just play it loud and nice for a total party jam, my friends dig it :slight_smile: I love the fact that you have been doing music since 1992 I suppose and I visited your website too, very well made and fun to navigate and know more about you and your music.

├── hyperunknown - High off the ground.mp3

Chemical Rush! The chord progression is so good really. Solid pop composition here with great DnB textures. Your experience in production shows very well here. Love the sensual female vocals, evokes a very 90’s dance cassette feel that I totally treasure. I wish I knew who the singer is and ask her out. The loudness compression is very sweetly done and the male vocals complement perfectly. This is the track I like to put on when I am in a really nice mood and contemplating on future activities or talking with girl over coffee. Instant pop favourite for me for a really long term. Love it when she says “feel like” in the second half…sooo sexy and sweet, her lips exude honey. Beats are jamming and bassline is spot on and most importantly the emotion it evokes. Reminds me of my visit to Rotterdam last year. Winner.

├── J-qak aka Kosmonaut - Ten Years Today.mp3

Hmmm, metal track recorded in a rather creepy way I suppose? Over an asphyxiation mask through the hose? The metal distorted guitars and drums certainly give off the growl though I feel the metal core mix makes it sound even stranger than a regular metal track in that sense, which is in a creative sense the opposite of what one might expect from a speaker hogging metal track which is plus for me for its rebel factor. I totally dig it and I am planning to do something in similar lines exploring metal music sounds and electronic.

├── Kommandotolken aka Xkernel - Max Masterad.ogg

Oldschool DnB and very prodigy like major chord stabs. Nothing to pick apart on this one but rather enjoy the whole arrangement, very well executed and the mix slowdown at the end makes it a nice party ender track or a cool segue to the next one. The vocal sample at the end made me a little look over my left shoulder…

├── Komu - The Bouncer.ogg

This is a club banger for sure. Techno track with a strong bassline and pad and the bassline bounces are addictive and the timbre changes over the track alternating between sustains and staccatos stamping over the harmonic changes that evoke a playful mood even if in the minor key. I love the siren leads and wails, its a techno track with strong melodic elements and bouncy bass which I dig for sure. The andante tempo makes this nice when talking a walk to the metro or in a large park. Highly recommended.

├── Land of Bits - Mutant Glitch Shit - Type-A.ogg

Euphoric melody and trance feel good pads with arpeggio riffs taking the track off like an airplane takes off the landing strip. Love the feel good vibes I get off this and the glitch fx done on the second half does complement the main theme done in a minimal way, though personally I would have either maximised the fx and glitches or done without it either since I feel it could be done with more intensity, which still sounds great as it is. The slower paced drums make a very soothing track than a full bangout bouncer and I love that fact.

├── Mars64 - UnqualifiedSuccess-MutantBreaks-010.ogg

I like the political speech and the throbbing bass all over the place, its very ominous sounding and sounds large on my monitors. Very good mix and drum work too and I thoroughly enjoyed it - best for a cerebral session or when thinking how to make the best cup of coffee and play conspiracy theory with your coffee machine or reading a book on Machiavellian techniques:)

├── Msymiakos - Tribute To Mutant Breaks.mp3

Jungle bungle with a solid LTJ Bukem vibe, I diiiiiiggg this!!! Atmospheric DnB with flanging breaks give a perfect intro with voc samples feeding off it and building the energy. The subs come in and then its just whammmm…!! love the subs maann…I was boogeying the whole time…Simple timestretch used on vox-- can it get any more old school. Waayyy cool break breakdowns and break works in the second half. Love it bro big time :slight_smile:

├── Neurogami - Mutant_Breaks_10_Master.ogg

Glitch hop done in style, totally loved it! Rubber duck bass and the metal pangs give this melodic elements in a covert way making the listener engage like a percussionist who uses different tuned cymbals and toms to speak out a phrase. The sample fx that comes later and the complementing fx give a metropolis dance party vibe where cyborgs and robots both jam to a pre party session. The sound palette is varied and keeps you engaged. Solid effort.

├── PBF - BalkFriday (Mutant Breaks 10).mp3

This is so much fun to listen to and the composition has meaning and direction and sounds very much like a track from Venetian Snares early works. This is outstanding in the end result and its indistinguishable from similar works which means you did your homework very well indeed! The synth leads sound menacing and the drums are distorted as expected and the bass and samples are totally chaotic and when played loud its bang on. Now I need to leech off some tips from your XRNS too…:)) I would love to buy this on wax.

├── Raegae - ShittyDub.ogg

Dub with style !!! I totally dig Raeggae bass and Riddims. Nice minor mode chord progression and complementing embellishments and counterpoints on the guitar (you got skills man). The beats are unlike what I would expect unless its from Asian Dub Foundation (reminds me of them) style of doing a mish mash of Dub /Raeggae/DnB though the faster pace double time breaks work very well if taken as track from a Parisian chillout compilation or Stephane Pampougnac compilations. I love this one a lot and its got a lot of class. Highly recommended.

├── Redman - Air.mp3

The Gravity snapshot just gives off the perfect vibes for the picture and for some reason sets it in motion in the listeners ear and mind. Very calming intro and relaxing pads that breathe (air obviously!) Space has no air however, so if you go by the picture its mostly the air conditioner inside the capsule and Sandra Bullocks fart cos no one is looking (he he he) so I am very skeptical of the air quality in the capsule but have no doubts of the quality of Air (the track i.e.) overall. Space-chill at its finest with strong ambient overtones and a rhythm that animates the human heart beat in the sonic realm of life in regeneration mode. Breathing becomes easy after one listen making this track having therapeutic qualities.

├── Robodub - Octo Man And His Ash.ogg

What a mixxx man!!! My monitors were banging this out and the whole vibe came off as a techno funk cyber sex fest for cyborgs and this was off a music video that encoded their conversations. Octo Man sounds very uncanny and pushy which sets for a really enjoyable and visual aural treat. The artist name also triggers something in my head that comes off a B flick cyber horror movie that I am watchin on repeat only to have it jarr my sense of reality until I realise that I am in the torture room myself hallucinating an aural session that is the only way my drugged brain can release the pain and delerium. Nice stuff!

├── stailer - Ten For Eternity (feat eSoreni).mp3

The intro is inviting and the tempo and sounds set the mood for a very intimate session with eSoreni (digi sampled vocal?) and her Irish sounding (?) vox is an aural treat. The synth strings and soar and envelope the listener in a serenade without going full tutti on orchestral elements which works rather well with this minimal composition and it leaves a sweet after taste long after the track is listened to. I tend to favour downtempo stuff in general and being the only other entry in this genre its an instant favourite for me!

├── TheBellows - Holy Shit-Mutant Breaks #10.ogg

Jungle/DnB is the most popular entry in any MBC it seems which is a great thing to boot. Cool vocoded vox samples and synth lines and nice phat sub to make you groove. The main beat remains the same pretty much which in this track is a welcome change instead of going for elaborate drum work. Filters are used very well here and its a treat to listen to!

├── TwoThreeZero - JYU.mp3

Really well done glitch DnB/IDM with a familiar template handled adeptly and the pacing is a pleasure to listen to. Really simple elements that are given roles to fulfill and the composition does them justice. The excellent sound design seduces you in long before you realise it and its very danceable too, the kick is very powerful on my monitors. Second phase glitch chorus FX was just awesome and perfect! I just wish that there was a bit more melodic development if it were an option, not that it sounds missing from action but is rather like extra sauce serving over an already excellent meal. Sounds like a collab between LTJ Bukem and Aphex Twin :slight_smile:

├── ulrikkold aka Coolium - Mikrohouse.ogg

Haha, innovative in conception and takes you totally by surprise, IF you take it as a kick heavy techno track! As an ambient house track it fits absolutely well into the IDM territory with superb role reversal and pacing. I always thought that kicks get that familiar high pass filtered sound for lighter versions or intro or passing measures, this one however is soo blippy I wonder whether its the filtering or extreme eq’ing that gets this kind of sound or if its just a sine wave kick higher on the octave, either way its like a mole on the face of a japanese fashion model, you definitely DONT want it big after you see the beauty of her face (and listen to this track). The ghostly pitch faded vocal samples are nice ornamentations on the backing texture which sounds like someone recorded the creaks on the hinge of a swing in the park. Solid track.

├── ΔBįSƧȔš ṼØȊÐƎ aka Vaeprism - Decagon-Mutant_Breaks10_Vaeprism.ogg

The bassline overpowers you with its distinct tone and riff pattern. The spooky quality of this track is like one of the early dubstep pioneers minimal snare based dubstep tracks from Vex’d (UK). I love it here and its a solid track on its own. I like the fact that the time signature seems to be a playground and its very well pulled off. You got skills man. Sound design is immaculate. Sparse and razor sharp. Love it.

This year’s MBC is a blast and so puts me in the mood to do music day in day out. Power hugs to all the talented and gifted producers who participated and can’t wait for the next such event and the next MBC. LOVE TO ALL!!! Christmas is round the corner and I wish you all a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year in advance!!! What a way to end a festive season and this year:))

About our entry: This time we were trying to enter early but somehow time just flew. We were giving up because only one day to the deadline. But I thought that because this is so rewarding contest and because you can get and give feedback ina nice way, we have to make a tune, no matter how shitty it’s going to be. So no sooner said than done: 15 min beatsketching and then recording brother playing guitar, all in with first take. It is encouraging to hear that even the track was fast made, some of you liked it. Maybe we can be proud of that we can sketch tunes fast. That is something I need to do more often, but it rarely happens without deadlines.

ΔBįSƧȔš ṼØȊÐƎ said:
“I am finding the benefits of deadlines as I can often spend months or a year etc on producing something”
Same here, often spending kinda too long time per track. ! Hey ! We need more of these high quality compos all around the year : D

Thanks for this, encryptedmind! The vibe you’re describing here is exactly what I was going for. But I think you’ll be disappointed by the xrns. It’s nothing special and a lot of sounds and fx are missing since they’re plugins. You can find it in one of my previous posts in this thread.

Cool! I am yet to open anyone’s project file but I am looking forward to it this weekend and yours is definitely on the list of things to investigate. I can understand not having the sounds or FX as even my project file has similar installation related portability issues becos of 3rd party installers, but I am not looking only for a particular sound or FX mix, but rather the overall arrangements and individual organization of sounds and naming and track pattern data especially the FX column and the delay column as well as automations and project data assets etc… it’s the whole package for me, so even if it’s incomplete I can still find many things to enhance the learning experience. As I personally use Renoise more and more (let me complete 1 year to begin with) I will make it more self contained in future as a technical goal of mine, since I am using my MPC a lot and working mostly with samples I think it’s really easily doable that is to simplify or simply sample external stuff back to audio and sequence it and process it. Thank you so much sharing!

Voting deadline reached. No more votes beyond this point.

Here are the results:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1kt1O_mUEIDejgzvDA__uVxeYUj5eBlOMHTi3pa5zNbs/edit?usp=sharing

(I am going to have a coffee, take a shower, then post what I’m thinking is a top 12 this year)

HOLY SHIT!

Drummer gone shiatMad. You played those drumloops live by yourself?

Ya just set a metronome to 189 and freestyled for a few minutes, then chopped the full performance into 1/2/4/8 bar pieces, etc.

When I started MBC ten years ago I did it out of frustration. I thought contests sucked. I thought the type of songs I liked were always at the bottom. I thought there was no way anyone could pick “the best” unless given some staunch overwrought judging criteria that made experimentation a risk, that sucked the fun out of being an internet punk, that ignored taste, contemporary relevance, and personality.

When I started MBC ten years ago I had a record label and I was trying to get like minded artists, friends even, to show up. I was ten years younger and it was supposed to be a breakcore meets luke vibert contest. Somewhere along the way I became part of the Renoise team, then I quit the Renoise team, then joined again, quit again, joined, quit… Typical drama queen bi-polar shit. (Current status: Not on team). Somewhere along the way, the little weird contest that was a protest contest against Renoise contests became the defacto contest; a tradition.

I thank all participants for pitching in to win. This year fucking rocked. I’m surprised, proud, and happy that MBC survived 10 years. I hope this will be the last MBC I personally host. I hope that MBC somehow continues and somehow remains an unofficial official part of Renoise.

This year’s top 12 in alphabetical order (votepack file names):

• 21testers - Aerothetic
  • BotB aka vivace - allmyidolsaredeadandmyenemiesareinpower
  • danoise aka glixxando - Pump models
  • Djeroek aka Jonas78 - Jonas78 - vergeten (My noons version - 102 bpm)
  • Komu - The Bouncer
  • Land of Bits - Mutant Glitch Shit - Type-A
  • Mars64 - UnqualifiedSuccess-MutantBreaks-010
  • Msymiakos - Tribute To Mutant Breaks
  • PBF - BalkFriday (Mutant Breaks 10)
  • Sam aka Wrong - Know Dat
  • TwoThreeZero - JYU
  • ulrikkold aka Coolium - Mikrohouse

Random selection video will now be produced (by me? volunteers? reply to this thread that’s how we do shit around here!). Results in by next Friday.

Good times.

…thank you so much

Conner_Bw

for making this happen…

:slight_smile:

Thank you, ConorBW, for all your efforts these last ten years. I really hope someone will pick up the baton when you take a well-deserved rest. This is my first MBC and it has been a pleasure to participate and to see how much activity, discussion, commenting, feedback, music playing and … shit it has created.

Big ups!