Mutant Breaks #15 Voting Thread. Everyone can vote!

After the fun of making tracks together for Mutant Breaks #15 it’s now time to hear what you think of them. SO have a listen and tell us which track you think is best and why.

If you have time please leave a little review on all the tracks. There not that many and people worked hard on them. They deserve some feedback. :smiley:

Voting closes: Wednesday October 11th at 23:59 HTS (Hawaii Standard Time).

Judging criteria:
The idea of this MBC was to work together as a team and combine two unlikely genres.
How well did the teams do in that?
How is the overall production?
And which track speaks the most to you?

4 Likes

I just have listened to all songs and the winners are without any doubt “MISTER GARBANZO and HeartBeatHero” with “Synthwave Jungle”. They delivered the best composition/production and the song is the most complete of all. But I have to admit that I don’t recognize any Synthwave in this song, it’s not really a style mixture imo. But this is also one of two teams that managed to create something homegenous out of their different inputs.

You’re asking outsiders? Ok, but I’ll be honest. :slightly_smiling_face:

shineeebaba
The song begins with a muddy mixed vaporwave part, turns into a clear mix of psy trance and ends with a kind of mashup of both. Each part has its pros and cons. I prefer the composition of the first part, but the way better mix of the second part dominates the whole song. The last part shows a little bit of what could have been achieved, both styles mixed together and more or less united. Instead there are sequences of different styles and the sequences also have a different quality in terms of the mix. More consistency required.

H3ADL3SS and Make A Wish
Nice “chilly” beginning, good transition to the “chip break” part. Unfortunately there were different drums used, so the balance is off. And it is forbidden to use different kicks as the main kick. The composition is quite good, but I would completely drop the “metal part” or at least adapt it more to the rest of the song. Personally I don’t like the transition from chip break to the metal part and the balance of the metal part isn’t that good. The ending is something different again. I can imagine your idea behind that song, but I think less is more. You’ve wanted too much. Imho there are too many different styles involved that don’t match and aren’t mixed together, therefore you’ve got several “song snippets” in a row in one song instead of a complete song. The drums would benefit from some punch, too.

Electronic Tiger Vs. Supercomputer60s
Nice beginning and the following clock ticking is promising, but it turns into a noisy experiment, I like the background strings around 2:38 but I don’t like the kicks from 2:24 and some crooked notes.I like the vocals, but they need a better audibility, especially in the middle of the song. The song has a nice ending with the strings again and some more atmospheric pads. The mix is muddy and the balance isn’t good, but it isn’t pretty bad either. And props to you for being able to create something homogenous. That’s a big plus! There are just the usual problems like too loud effects and hats/persussions or else. @eretsua knows.

Jek & Lneheb
There are some oriental samples at the beginning followed by a part with a loud kick and beat in comparison to the rest of the drums used in this song. At 2:22 the song really begins imho. The second part has a way better balance and the composition is pretty complete in comparison to the first part. Overall it’s a nice song, but it would have been much nicer if both parts would be one. Instead it’s a sequence of several parts. This way the song is not complete.

Mirtazapine Dream and DSPasic
The song begins with a nice beat that has nice samples. The instrumentation and balance is pretty good and I really like the composition. What I don’t like is the transition from the first to the second part, and I think the second part falls off composition-wise in comparison to the first part. The first part is much more varied, but nevertheless the parts fit together due to the instrumentation. The overall mix and production of this song is quite good. This is my personal second place from this competition.

MISTER GARBANZO and HeartBeatHero
Nice song, good mix, nice balance and production, partially dark atmospehere but with a punch and nice transitions. Good composition and instrumentation with a good consistency, you’ve managed to mix your artistical inputs together and create something homogenous. I also like the melodies, but there 's nothing Synthwave related recognizable. The mix is pretty good and has a good balance, but would undoubtedly benefit from some clearness. It appears to be a little bit muffled. But as I wrote, this is my favorite of all submissions.

Edit:
My Top 3:
:1st_place_medal:MISTER GARBANZO and HeartBeatHero
:2nd_place_medal:Mirtazapine Dream and DSPasic
:3rd_place_medal:Electronic Tiger Vs. Supercomputer60s

3 Likes

Thanks for taking the time TNT!

I wouldn’t have it any other way. Seriously, I always appreciate your feedback. It feels fair & insightful.

1 Like

Thanks for the comments @TNT - for clarity, the song is completely unfinished. I made it and sent it to DSPasic as a rough sketch for him to work on and send back, but that never happened. So for sake of complete honesty and thinking that at least the sample was kinda provided by/inspired by DSPasic it just about could be called a collab.

1st place for me is Mister Garbanzo and HeartBeatHero. I cant separate the rest into “places”.

3 Likes
  1. MISTER GARBANZO and HeartBeatHero
  2. H3ADL3SS x Make A Wish
3 Likes

MINI-REVIEWS:

• zen sphere records • - shineeebaba••• retro encabulator [ishineee vs xenobaba]
Good retro synth style with some 80s flavours inside. When suddenly it morphs to a trippy speedy thing that seems to evolved continuously by itself. Awesome.

H3ADL3SS - Paths From Nexus (H3ADL3SS x Make A Wish)
It’s the first time I hear some orchestral jungle chiptune metal ambient, and it seems I love that. The mix is perfect. The whole thing is solid. It’s a new style.

Electronic Tiger - Two Heads, One Body - Electronic Tiger vs Supercomputer60s [MBC#15]
An horrific circus. Slow. Loud. Oppressive. Stressful. But the show worths it. I want to see it again. I mean, I want to hear it again. The experience is unique.

Lneheb - Jek & Lneheb - Bangra Breaks
Yet another journey. On another planet. Some good ideas inside. . . . . Sorry, I stopped writing because I was in trance. Your fault! Haha. Nice track, dudes!

Mirtazapine Dream - Mirtazapine Dream X DSPasic - MBC15 Meditations (WIP)
Perhaps a bit too short. I prefer the second half that sounds to me like a kind of house music, but not the one we know in our current space-time continuum.

HeartBeatHero - MISTER GARBANZO and HeartBeatHero - Synthwave Jungle
Good retro sounds with very dynamic drums. I must try that in my car, if possible at full speed, on a large road, with a purple sunset. Oh yes, I must try that.

VOTE:

1st place: H3ADL3SS - Paths From Nexus (H3ADL3SS x Make A Wish)
2nd place: Electronic Tiger - Two Heads, One Body - Electronic Tiger vs Supercomputer60s [MBC#15]
3rd place: • zen sphere records • - shineeebaba••• retro encabulator [ishineee vs xenobaba]

5 Likes

• zen sphere records • - shineeebaba••• retro encabulator [ishineee vs xenobaba]
loving the wobly arp, and did not expect the speed.

H3ADL3SS - Paths From Nexus (H3ADL3SS x Make A Wish)
cool intro, always love that breakbeat, bring that sub, nice mix of styles.

Two Heads, One Body - Electronic Tiger vs Supercomputer60s
ooh this is creepy. Ooh I like these pads!

Jek & Lneheb - Bangra Breaks
I like the indian vocals!

Mirtazapine Dream X DSPasic - MBC15 Meditations (WIP)
I like the piano here.

1st place. H3ADL3SS - Paths From Nexus (H3ADL3SS x Make A Wish)
2nd place. • zen sphere records • - shineeebaba••• retro encabulator [ishineee vs xenobaba]
3rd place. Two Heads, One Body - Electronic Tiger vs Supercomputer60s

2 Likes
  1. H3ADL3SS x Make A Wish
  2. Electronic Tiger vs Supercomputer60s
  3. ishineee vs xenobaba
2 Likes

ishineee x xenobaba
I haven’t really listened to much psy, so this feels fresh to me. Good production, but some sections could have had some more low end.

Electronic Tiger x Supercomputer60s
This track has the best atmosphere. There’s a lot of detail and I like the chaos.

Jek x Lneheb
Very interesting track, I ended up coming back to this one the most. The mix is maybe a bit uneven between parts?

Mirtazapine Dream X DSPasic
I don’t really have anything to comment on this one, other than being a bit repetitive. Cool beat.

MISTER GARBANZO x HeartBeatHero
Best production and a solid tune, but it kinda felt like regular Drum & Bass.

1. Jek x Lneheb
  2. ishineee x xenobaba
  3. MISTER GARBANZO x HeartBeatHero
4 Likes
  1. MISTER GARBANZO & HeartBeatHero
  2. H3ADL3SS & Make A Wish
  3. Jek & Lneheb
2 Likes

Ah, I’ve just seen I’ve missed the voting time :roll_eyes:

So here are not my votes, but just my reviews:

I like this combinaison of retrosynth and psytrance. The synthwavey melodic have a very « classic 70’ synth » feeling, something nostalgic and dreamy. Also, the rhythm change in the middle of the track is surprising in a good way.

HeartBeatHero - MISTER GARBANZO and HeartBeatHero - Synthwave Jungle
Synthwave jungle, yes! Pretty strong, the drop at 0’20 is super catchy! There is also a sort of psytrance mood in this track. Maybe the melodic have a something that could have been into psytrance. Anyway I like it!

Jek & Lneheb - Bangra Breaks
Indian breakbeat, it’s cool and a very danceable track! The track is evolving from tablas percussion, raga vocals samples and a stringed instrument part. Could be in a setlist for a Bollywood themed party!

Two Heads, One Body - Electronic Tiger vs Supercomputer60s
Strong horrific ambiance and very well done! Original freaky vocal is a plus, the quiet pad ends the track perfectly.

Mirtazapine Dream X DSPasic - MBC15 Meditations (WIP)
As wrote Mirtazapine Dream, this track is unfinished. Merging a local folk sample and hip-hop, it’s already very nice to ear. Could have been more developed if finished of course.

2 Likes