Mutant Breaks #5

Deadline reached! No more submissions below this line:

Here’s what I have, alphabetical order, all XRNS files received.

BasicMethods - BM  
batlikecreature - JOHNNY  
BotB - Nearly Johnson - Madness  
Burital - Panek Ota  
Crude Assembly - DA-02 [The Name]  
danoise - sandra (feel no fear)  
eeter - Johnny_Acid_Wankoff_(feat_Feikii)  
frragile - FrrozenPuddingWagon  
griffyboy0 - Truth is for Suckers  
Jonas The Plugexpert - bedroom junglist  
kim_f - fruitwhore  
Kurtz - Something for you  
mars.64 - Mutant Breakz 5  
RiDylan - Perthed Again (remix)  
scrittah -Squid Pro Quo  
td6d - Classy Mutant Pirates On The Rise  
Vigner - Remember  

17 submissions! Amazing.

WAV/FLAC stems will get compressed with OGG (quality 7). All XRNS files will get compressed with OGG (quality 3). I will put up a vote pack in the next two hours.

I’d like to thank all participants. It’s great that, at least for me, some of the best producers in the world for their respective styles still come out and throwdown five years later. I bow down to the many names in the list. All participants, you are heroes of contemporary breakbeat music and the Renoise community. I don’t even lift.

All participants are required to pick their top 3 and post in this this thread. If you don’t pick and post you are disqualified.

Can we get all votes in by Thursday night EST so I can film the cake eat out at my office XMAS party? It’s a shared space with No Weapon. They have a decent sound system here and it would be a good aesthetic for the YouTube high fives all around. Champion sound.

So vote!

Good times.

Yo vote pack! / I’m vote pack coming to the mutants ( los mutantes ) / I’m vote pack I got your breaks:

Diego download:
http://ubuntuone.com/6npxdH2dDTQReqc0TrHNMX

scrittah - Squid Pro Quo

Frragile - FrrozenPuddingWagon

!

kim_f - fruitwhore
Vigner - Remember

No anonymous vote? Lukashenka!

No, sorry, never in an MBC.

“A panel of hand picked professional alcoholics and drug addicts eagerly await the opportunity to judge you.”

Thanks!

scrittah -Squid Pro Quo

Respect ! ;)/>

BasicMethods: Nice crushed sound. Reminds me of Caustic Window!
Batlikecreature: Nice amexperimentation and lawl’ed at the johnny reference.
BotB: Insane botb bassline. I’m in love with the ‘dubsteppy’ snare. I would have loved to hear this get out of hand.
Burital: Although I thought the buildup was a little to long I really digg the overall sounds. Great in-your-face beat with organic bassline and lead. Love it!
Crude Assembly: Crazy beats, sick wubs. The sounds that are there are great but it sounds a bit empty for my taste.
Danoise: It’s hard to pull off a chop-up of an already mixed track. I think you did an excellent job at it.
Eeter: Hell yes! It’s funky. it’s funky with breaks! Easy on the ears, somehow reminds me of 90’s cartoons.
Frragile: It’s been a while since I listened to glitchy IDM like this, maybe I should get aphex out from under the dust again…
Griffyboy0: I like the way everything comes together. The combination of instruments works fine though the production could use a little work.
Jonas The Plugexpert: Breaksbreaksbreaksbreaksbreaks. As always, awesome production. It didn’t really grab me as much but I assume everybody can hear this is a top quality piece.
Kim F: Very interesting piece! I like the unpolished sounds, raw samples, awkward silences. Weird but tasty.
Kurtz: If a tad bit quiter, could have been on the “Chosen Lords” album by Aphex if you ask me, sort of recognizable acidline.
Mars.64: Dem lounge breaks, I like dem lounge breaks. floats away
RiDylan: Subtle Rubber Johnny or AFX237 influences in a not so subtle track. I hate myself for not being able to enjoy this kind of breakcore as I used to. Awesome track nontheless!
Scrittah: Luvely breaks all around. Hi-speed tracking at its finest. I would’ve loved to hear more.
Vigner: Ahh, something without breaks. Great flow. I miss the warmth these kind of tracks need in my opinion.

Man, what awesome music, all around. I had a really tough time getting top-3 together – especially since I wanted to vote for myself! Oh well, maybe I’ll write a better track next time. :unsure:

scrittah - Squid Pro Quo
RiDylan - Perthed Again (Remix)
Kurtz - Something for you

“wow great round”

eeter - johnny acid wankoff - " funky time ", this bass 100% makes it, and excellent usage of the acid vocoded / formant filtered lines - very interesting technically speaking
jonas - bedroom junglist - I like a lot your distorted bass sparkles and fragmented vocal echoes
mars.64 - mutant breaks five - excellent sub-bass, very efficient - elegant soundscapes & atmospheres, very good overall result quality

Great comp (again), some really good tunes, props to Conner_Bw (as ever)

The tunes that i am really feeling are:

In retrospect i fluffed the final edit / master of my tune (badly) so for best effect get no sleep and listen on headphones (i guess)

So much good music, it was hard to pick out just 3 tracks but here goes:

Eeter - Johnny Acid Wankoff: Yes!! Skillfully executed, and very funny!! How the hell did you come up with the ideas around the 3 minute mark ?
Griffyboy0 - Truth is for Suckers : hauntingly beautiful, modeselector would have been proud to have made this one. Really dig it.
Kim F - Fruitwhore : Probably among the most experimental tracks of the bunch, yet immediately catchy :slight_smile:

Tomorrow, I’m going to disturb my coworkers with some Mutant Beats!!

Wicked stuff all around. I’d have to go with these for my top 3, though:

In no particular order, because I don’t like following orders. Many thanks to Connor for making the magic happen again! Cheers, captain!

Frragile - Frrozen Pudding Wagon
It’s somehow magical to me. It’s the atmosphere and rhythmic approach, I think. Great work!!

Jonas the Plugexpert - Bedroom Junglist
When Thom Jenkinson gets a backrub from Aaron Funk, it’s stunningly intense, fast and detailed. It’s going straight on my iPod!

It’s just fekking awesome, deal with it.

Thanks for the votes so far!

Seriously though, I need the votes in maximum 5PM EST Thursday. Sorry for the pressure but the winner will be announced at the No Weapon seasonal office (studio) party. Confirmed with a crowd of onlookers cheering cake eating babies. Video to be posted up on YouTube sometime the next day when I recover.

Cheers.

Tough choice narrowing this down, but these get my votes:

1 Crude Assembly - D-A02 [The Name]

I love this type of D&B, reminds me of current value, limewax etc, but more abstract.

2 frragile - FrrozenPuddingWagon

Lovely melodic idm vibes, bleeps & glitches. I like it when you double time the beats into some artcore jungle.

3 mars.64 - Mutant Breakz 5

Quality work on the intro vocals, nice filtering all around, great classic d&b tune! Nostalgic vibes.

Some honorable mentions ;) go to:

Vigner - Remember

Smooth house tune, so simple with only a few elements, but it is enough. I like the sound of those chord instruments, think I’m going to rip them for a track :wink: .

Great groove from 0.35 onwards, the flute on top brings a smile to my face. Shame it is so short though.

The mond-harmonica parts are wicked, not so sure about the goldmember English pronunciation ;) , reminded me a little of a slowed down rockier Prodigy’s - voodoo people.

Eeter - Johnny_Acid_Wankoff_(feat_Feikii)

Interesting vocal sounding acid squelches, appreciate the effort put into this one with all the variations.

Thanks to Conner_Bw for running this compo! :drummer:

Alot of great work in here.

Frragile - FrrozenPuddingWagon

Wow hats off. I’m actually kissing the floor for this one.

Danoise - sandra (feel no fear)

Excellent

scrittah - Squid Pro Quo

Awesome idm breakcore tweeker tekadge!

:yeah:

BotB - Nearly Johnson - Madness Beautiful production. TENSO!
danoise - sandra (feel no fear) That intro belongs on a Brian Eno album. Great!
Kurtz - Something hor you Really digging the half-time outro.

Blown away. Seriously guys.

-Griff

Hi guys!!

Thank you for the feedback!!

I’am getting used to deep house production so this is a way to try my own ideas and improve!!

My votes go to:

RiDylan - Perthed Again (Remix)
scrittah - Squid Pro Quo
Eeter - Johnny_Acid_Wankoff_(feat_Feikii)

Thank you Djeroek for your attention!! It is really important to get that feedback so that i can keep producing tracks with RENOISE of course!!! :)

Hope there is more competitions so that we can share our thoughts and experience with this amazing tracker!!

If anyone want a collaboration to produce a track i would really like to help!! LET’S THAT MUSIC FLOW!!! :) :panic:

Was hard to pick, but my 3 are:

Cheers!