Mutant Breaks [lucky] #13

Still sounds good! Just thought maybe you did, bc of your asking about deadlines earlier…

1 Like

Yay more happy ear stuff.
very comfortable sound.

the blip or chip sort of thingy specifically at 1:18 really hits the right spot in my brain. it’s like electric jolly ranchers.

3 Likes

The theme this year is my kinda thing and I managed to put something together over the past few days. Ran out of time though, so it’s pretty scrappy but I like how it turned out.

Achenar - No Mercy For Tyrants.xrns

10 Likes

This is a pretty fierce collection of tracks.

Haven’t heard the downloadable ones yet. I’m a bit more mobile these days.

So far its looking like a wide spectrum of very interesting sounds and grooves.

Thankful to be in company of really great musicians.

3 Likes

Alright. My official submission for MBC13

Here’s the xrns
100% pure Renoise DSPs:

8 Likes

I’M DONE. It’s 9:30 PST right now, so just barely 2 hours left on the clock. Spent most of today mixing this thing and I feel like I’m going to be walking arrhythmically for days now. I’ve been trying to think of ideas since November. Last week I came up with the intro melody and have been scrambling to finish it since. Ended up going kind of ham, but I like it.

XRNS too big and uses tons of effects so guess I won’t go for the extra points.

(Also it’s in 13/8, it seemed like the right choice. At the time.)

7 Likes

@Achenar
Really want to play musical chairs to that.

@Daed
:yeah: This is sweet.The acid makes some nice smelling fumes as it corrodes the beats. Or something. And I think I felt it shift the room for a second.

@Skolskoly
I wish that part from about 1:20 to 1:40 went on longer. Feels kinda like a freefall. Dont worry about going ham, protein is good for you. Really liked the piano just before the end, too. Goes good with the ham.

2 Likes

The thread that keeps on giving. More good stuff, thanks all!

@_kara
Thank you!

The tempo fluctuations in your track totally work and feel intentional. So if you hadn’t told me you did them to fit within the 7minute limit I wouldn’t have known.

I’m unfamiliar with ceephax but I found their bandcamp and checking it out now. Nice stuff indeed, thanks for the suggestion!

@Terumi
Oh, this is sweet I get the BOC vives slujr mentioned. And that blip at 1:18 that Kara Kusa mentioned is fantastic indeed. I like the tension that is happening in the middle section. And the mellow vibe towards the end, dreamy. Good stuff.

@Achenar
Oooooh, to me this sounds like angry robots doing angular kata’s. Hacking and slashing in a rigid way. Bringing death and destruction to other robots on a battlefield. I dig it.

+1

@Daed
Division Nightmare, more like A Beautiful Nightmare. Good stuff. Digging the cover image as well. And I’m still not convinced you’re not one of Aphex Twins’ aliases. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: Please take that as a compliment.

@Skolskoly
Oooh, good stuff! I always like it when the different sections of a track are actually different. It makes me feel like we’re going places. And your track is moving things right along. Cool track.

@selecta440
This xrns file you posted still relies on external vsts. If you intended to change that for the Renoise-only points you’ve accidentally uploaded the wrong file. So I listened to your track over on SC again. And I still like it. Dreamy breakcore with fun, tongue in cheek use of samples. :+1:
tca

3 Likes

Nope no vst-free points for me. Although I didn’t realize I liked saturate that much :joy:

1 Like

Also, many thanks to @eretsua for taking the time to review so many of the tracks we put forth - true heart!

2 Likes

I passed out at the studio yesterday, let me render the file and pack the xrns …

1 Like

Alright, everybody! Excellent work all around. This thread is officially closed for further submissions and will be transitioned to a voting thread.

Voting rights are only for those who have submitted tracks that satisfy the rules. Please vote publicly for only your top 3 favorite tracks. You may not cast a vote for yourself!

Here are the qualifying tracks, in the order in which they appeared in the thread:

Jek_mutantBreaks13.xrns (780.8 KB)
https://soundcloud.com/user-115724275/mb13-timeless-rotten-orange

@Raegae (or anyone else still sitting on a track) get yr track in asap!!! if it’s in in the next hour, it’s ok…

We will keep this thread open for voting for 3 days, then votes will be tallied, “winners” determined, Renoise soundcloud playlist compiled, and prizes distributed!

Thanks to everyone for participating! This turned out beautifully, and I’m thrilled to see how much good and interesting and original new music has come from it.

Happy listening!!!

13 Likes

: O < Here we go >

2 Likes

…crunching the xrns file, verysoon – >

Not easy to choose, there are many compsitions I would put on par.

No critics, no comments, I used only ears and result feel to pick up :
My 3 favorites tracks are :

#1 Kara Kusa - Timeless Rotten Orange
#2 JTPE - Bea5menator
#3 daed - Division Nightmare

And I loved many others which I can’t name, respecting the voting rules. :wink:
Very nice compilation. “Hurray” to everybody.
Thanks again Zen for your dedication.

1 Like

Here is my xrns
OddTempoJam.Xrns

Ah damn. I didn’t see that requirement. Either way, I’ve been sick and haven’t had the time to revise it, so oh well.

1 Like

Hi Zen, nice track, could you please explain the formula you have included for keeping the lfo in time?

1 Like

Yeah sure, the formula is based upon two things:

1. Renoise supports BPMs from 20 to 999. So that’s
    999-20= 979 possible BPMs.

2. The LFO device splits whatever parameter you are modulating into 100 percents.

When you modulate the BPM with an LFO device, you need to know how the BPM correlates to the percentages you put to your custom envelope. 979/100 = 9,79 which means that one percent is precisely 9,79 BPM.

On top of this you need to take into account the fact that Renoises possible BPMs don’t start from zero but from 20. So to take into account the positive offset of 20, you need to subtract 20 from the actual BPM you are going from.

If x is the BPM you want to create a point for, you can calculate the exact percentage of the said point with:
( x - 20 ) / 9,79 = the percentage you should put on the point

This assumes 100% amplitude and 50% offset on the LFO device.

Hope this helps. I figured this out when the beatsync function was implemented and I wanted a way to randomly speed up or slow down samples into spesific BPMs that are rythmically relevant to eachother. If you use another LFO and a keytracker, like I showed in the end of my XRNS, this method makes it possible to have a sequenced sample and hold with quantised output values upon any parameter, including the BPM and LPB. Makes metric modulations super easy and you can do some very experimental stuff with it too. Stuff that’s most definitely not possible with all DAWs.

You can also take it a step further by adding another similar layer which controls the rate of the LFO controlling the BPM modulating LFOs rate. This allows you to sequence (or sample and hold) the rate of the sequencing of the BPM. There’s also many other ways to use this technique, I definitely haven’t uncovered all the possible implications. Many experiments yet to be done here.

I should also point out that whether you’re sampling and holding using a key tracker device (using note triggers in pattern) or using a fixed rate random LFO to trigger the BPM change, both ways cause the “sequencer” that’s triggering the BPM change to also change its speed. This means that if you put two points, let’s say for 60 BPM and 120 BPM, the higher tempo will always cause the next BPM change to happen twice as fast. This means that the BPM will stay in 60 about twice as much as in 120 BPM. You can compensate for this using twice as much space in the LFO devices custom envelope for the higher tempo (3 points 1=60BPM 2=120BPM 3=empty/120BPM). I would assume that there’s most likely a possible way to use the hydra device (or at least the formula device) to go around this problem too, but I haven’t bothered looking into it seriously.

Hope this helps! Happy experimenting!

EDIT: updated to reflect the changes in the 3.4.1 update (lowest BPM was changed from 32 to 20)

5 Likes

Also, changed my artist name recently to SimulatedXen for a more fitting description of the aesthetic I’m going for (can’t change the forum user name apparently). You call me SZ or SX or Xen or whatever. But having two “Zens” around is probably going to lead to confusions. As I can’t easily change the forum username, let’s say it’s SZ. :wink:

2 Likes