Nanonoise - Midi Control Renoise Tool for Linux

BTW: Renoise already supports MMC Start/Stop commands on all platforms. All you have to do is setting up the MIDI device that sends MMC as “MIDI Clock Slave”, then enable the small slave button next to the BPM box.

The forward/Rewind commands currently do nothing though. Maybe they should simply jump one pattern forward/back in the sequence?

Great stuff you got there. Need to check it out later today, and see if I can make it work with my hardwares. :)

I think that’s a good idea. Other possibilities could be to jump back/forward by one block size, or by the “edit step” size (which might be too small).

Also, one of the MMC record commands aught to toggle record mode in Renoise.

there definitely already exists at least one adapter for Windows which maps MIDI commands to keystrokes:

http://www.bome.com/midi/translator/mt_classic.html

as someone stated in a post earlier in this thread, and it has been mentioned a number of times on this forum… using bomes with renoise does not work.
i believe renoise uses something called directinput, i think. something similar anyway.
but the point is, bome’s is useless with renoise.

that is why mapping of midi to buttons in renoise as well as the already available keyshortcuts would be great.

Oops … I’ve missed that, thanks !

I use for Cubase an USB Joypad to Keystroke adapter and intended to use this for
Renoise as well. Maybe because of directinput this could be a problem, too !?
Hopefully not.

nice job koppi

i would like to see something like this for the novation nocturn :dribble:

Sounds very handy. Here’s hoping that we can get similar functionality in Renoise proper. Until then, does anybody have this working on Windows?

Wow, I’m definitely intruiged by this! I’m wondering if this’ll work with my kontrol49. If you added another 16 pads and an xy controller, you’d have most of it sorted already :)

d’oh, for linux!

With regard to the ff / rw functions, perhaps setting them as the next queued pattern would be better suited for live use?

Does anyone know of a similar MidiCC to Keystroke application for Mac OSX ?
Im not so keen on losing time building one in max/msp as im trying to keep all my music creating within one piece of software, Renoise :) .

As i posted in a similar thread a moment ago (about adv midi control) is think to be able to map midi switches to key commands would be great for renoise.

and i see little point in the transport fast forward and rewind buttons FFWing and RWing the song, i agree with taktik it should be used for switching forward or backward in patterns. for example FFW jumps to the next pattern RW to the previous pattern… this would free myself up a lot in live situations… the record button to switch on and off EDIT mode seems like a nice idea too… i hope this becomes a part of renoise … thanks to the devs for all their time. incredible software :)

midistrokeconverts midi data in key strokes. - MAC

Bome’s Midi Translator
-PC(v1.7.0) - !This vesion work with Renoise. Try the demo!
-MAC (only v1.6.1 available)- This version don’t work with Renoise on PC don’t know on MAC.

Autokey with this MIDI input library hard to use(scripted) but free. - trying this one now and it works! (PC only, I think)

;) How long do you leave the nanonoise on windoze?
because I’m crazy of nanokontrol ! so tiny so cool !!!

Hello Xor, last week I tried to port nanonoise to windows. I did not succeed mainly because I’m not so familiar with the windows API. Don’t know how to send keys to an application that uses the DirectInput API. Are there any hints, which send-key functions work with Renoise?

Kind regards,
++koppi

Hello again, I finally managed to port most parts of nanonoise to windows. However there is still a minor issue with the sendkeys function call, which sometimes (for whatever reason) hangs and spawns lots of keypresses to Renoise. The updated source code is in the nanonoise repository at github.com. The brave renoiser may download the Qt SDK and Qt Creator and give the windows port of nanonoise a try. Feedback is greatly appreciated.

Kind regards,
++koppi

good stuff! i’m just installing linux on my secondary laptop. the silent going thinkpad x60s. hope i can get the korg padkontrol and nanokontrol working with it :)

You ever thought of porting this to JUCE ?
I know Korg use JUCE and i can hook you up with someone at Korg they would probably buy this off you

Cheers
Bungle

Hi Bungle,

porting nanonoise to JUCE would be a bit of overkill because the software already works on all major operating systems. I don’t know if the software isn’t too specific, so that Korg would buy it. And because the software is LGPL there is no need for any monetary aspects and everyone including Korg is free to do whatever they want with it.

Kind regards,
++koppi

hey there, i got my nanokontrol now and am worried about controlling renoise with it.

i didn’t get it to work.

i tried adding it as midi clock slave and enabling the small button next to the bpm box.

when i press PLAY as MMC, it really starts to play.

but thats all. i can’t stop it, and when i stop with pressing the mouse button on stop i can’t press start again on nanokontrol.

when i restart renoise, PLAY works again for 1 (ONE) time, after that, MMC is out of control ;) and i have to restart renoise to make it work again…

i use renoise 1.91

does anyone know a thing how to make it work ? i saw nanonoise, but it’s only the source code and i wasn’t able to compile it, and really don’t want to get in all those .c files really… just want to press play and stop on nanokontrol via mmc command.

does renoise 2.0 support it like it should ? is it 1.91 or is it nanokontrol, is it an mmc error in renoise… i don’t know, has anyone got a solution for now ?

edit: i tried starting renoise and playing the pattern with mouse click on play… then i pressed STOP on nano control (set it to MMC PAUSE).

it worked.

but only 1 time… after this nothing worked anymore with mmc controls…

so i can only press a MMC key ONE time in renoise, then have to restart renoise to make it work again for ONE time.

how can that be ?

This project may be similar, but with broader goals:

Your interface is way nicer, though.

Hi, I just updated the Nanonoise app to run on Ubuntu 21.10 (with Qt5 instead of Qt4).

1 Like