Native Arpeggiator Idea

it’s a hark to the past but I believe it still exists as things like Dx and Ex I believe are based on it.

Set in Song Settings.

http://tutorials.renoise.com/wiki/Song_Settings

Although the description there is obviously out of date as Automation is no longer reliant on it for resolution, for example.

Maybe that is better yes, but you wouldn’t really need those high numbered decimals to often though, it would become a seqencer instead of an arpeggio if it plays this slow,
at Lines Beat 8 i would still prefer 1 or 2 tones(steps) per line.

Edit: Decimals i say, it’s not what i meant, not shure what to say in english, fraction? It’s “brøk” in norwegian. :P

I can’t see people often wanting to go over 4 steps per beat. So 0.5, 0.333rec and 0.25

Using double BPM (400 or so) amd 16/24LPB I can see people wanting to use a few positive values! And Arps are often used as a basic step sequencer. You play a Chord but one of those notes is played at a time, Up, Up/Down etc, at maybe a beat rate, maybe faster, then you change the notes being played through by playing the chord. Simply steops you having to enter hundreds of notes into your pattern! Think evolving chord progression but with simple programming ;)

As you probably see I also came to that conclusion.

But the real reason I can back to this comment.

Let’s assume a LPS of 1, so each note is played each line.

(Re)Triggered mode - Would be the same as entering a normal Note on each line.
Continue mode - Would be like using (I think it’s callled) Ghost Notes, so that the sample continues from the same position, just playback pitch is changed (same as if you had done an instant pitch slide to new note.) Think Renoise can do this by entering new Notes with no Instrument Number but couldn’t find connect in the manual and haven’t got my laptop with me today to test.)

Continue mode would be impossible for VSTs so that may be a (massive) point against it.

Huh?

1/2 = 0.5
1/3 = 0.333 recurring
1/4 = 0.25

Giving you up to four stages per line quite easily, I doubt there will be as many occasions people will want to go above this whereas there is a much higher chance of people wanting to use figures like 6, 8, 12.

So if roles were reverse, just for those three examples.

1/6 = 0.16666 recurring
1/8 = 0.125
1/12 = 0.08333 recurring.

Which are easier values to remember and enter in a decimal entry box?

Ahh, then I misunderstood you. I thought that you want to use Ex command within the Arp-phrase. ;)

But reading your explanation, I guess that you may misunderstand about Ghost Note a bit. Renoise’s Ghost Note is something like “continuous envelope”, not like continuous sample position. Sample will be retriggered always.

Btw, though slightly different from your idea, ReTrigger/Continue mode selector for the Rhythm sequence may be needed.

Really? Not something I’ve much used but seems weird to retrigger a sample but not it’s envelope to me… Guess it has it uses though.

Actually continue mode for VSTs could be done by having the option to use pitch bend for controlling the note.

It will be accurate as long as the pitch bend range is known. (maybe a new instrument setting for VSTs and ext MIDI?)

Great Idea! …It would be nice if the note length slider could be automated.

this idea seems to address the problem with a medium amount of effort

somebody hack the epic arpegiator to define points for the pitch section in the instrument envelopes, instead of note events in the pattern editor!

If i would had the abilities to program those, i would have added that to Epic Arpeggiator.
I can only copy existing envelopes from one instrument to another and that is as much as one could do with the instrument envelopes in Lua.
One could hack AE to play arpeggio-sequences realtime though, but i would need to calculate the LPB and BPM (and the ticks and delays!) to time sequences and then the realtime play would also only be an approach.

This would be so cool feature!!
And word on something like this is going to be implemented?

has anything changed in this regard on how to access the instrument envelopes in Lua for 2.8?

Yep. It’s now possible to access and modify the instrument envelopes via Lua.

cool, vV is out excuses to work this into his arpeggiator tool :D .

I haven’t seen this when browsing the tools. I go look for it now :-).

+1 ofc

Click to view contents