Easy Bpm Sync Arpeggiator [2.7]

Hey all !

Do you know that Renoise [2.7] Instruments Settings tab can define POINTS as enveloppes types ?
What does it mean ?

It means that :

• you can cut or dramatically lower sample sounds at precise points, using the volume enveloppe with points.
  • you can use pitch enveloppe points to define tones and “draw” cyclic melodic structures.

Note that values for this kind of pitch enveloppe are “cents”.
“100 cents” = 1 half-tone.
And all points automatically snap to the pitch enveloppe grid.

We can then produce easily in 3 mn a small arpeggiated instrument, that is automatically synced to BPM.

Let’s try :
drawn

Nice. Easy. Fast.

Now it’s up to you.

Have fun with Renoise !

very cool idea, unorthodox way to use the instrument envelopes!

yep, someone posted about this somewhere on the forums about creating arps using points, haven’t used it myself yet. I find the current envelope window to iffy to use.

Maybe someone can make a script that lets you define notes to convert to point values for the pitch envelope?

Very nice Sir, great idea for arpeggiated sounds…another reason I’d like to see the already great envelopes eventually upgraded similiar to what Absynth or Kontakt has.

1 half tone = 100 cents.
The pitch enveloppe editor automatically snaps to halftones.

Wow, I was playing around with this yesterday, and discovered that the envelope editor snaps to semitones when you’re editing the pitch envelope (but you can still make intermediate value using ctrl modifier)
Very nice detail that make this a lot more usable.

OMG this is so powerful. Thank you so much for that tip.

Brilliant.

Badass.

Hmmm, interesting :)

I have taken the liberty to assign a more general (and appealing) name to this thread, as what you are showing is a simple solution for an XRNI arpeggiator (not modifiable in realtime, though)

This was discussed in the Renoise 2.7 Synth Experiment thread. ;)

Try using curves in the volume envelope to further define a small ‘fadeout’ for each note in the arpeggiated ‘riff’.

If you use curve mode in the pitch envelope, you can mimic ‘glide’ to some extent. Use fast rises at the end of each note for ‘normal’ notes (two points with different values close together) while for ‘glide’ notes space the points further apart.

By having a small repeating riff (say 1 bar long) in the pitch/volume envelopes (maybe with a little glide) and a longer repeating envelope in the cutoff/resonance (say 4 or 8 bars long) you can simply press a single key and ‘insta-acid’ your way to a new song :P

You can also use a ring modulator’s frequency envelope to plot in the exact frequencies you want and then copy>paste to the instrument pitch envelope, it seams like Renoise converts them into the corresponding cent value.
I use this as a reference: http://www.phy.mtu.edu/~suits/notefreqs.html

The lead in this track uses that exact method you describe =)

But that isn’t based on herz?

Hey mxb ! B) I really like glide effects, and for sure I tried the “curve” based technique you described at first, but it wasn’t as easy as using “points”. Because for me it’s a bit harder to “read” line or curve-based melodies and to fix points placement in the limited enveloppe instruments editor (for now, I just hope that Renoise 2.8 or 2.9 will allow me to zoom properly in this editor). Anyway even if it’s not easy I’ve successfully made another .XRNS example, using fast rises when approaching volume points.

Check it [b]HERE[/b].

The arp+glide instrument uses :

• a SQUARE sample generated by the cool “Generate Custom Wave” LUA tool
  • a longer enveloppe (192 steps) splitted in 2 sections (96 steps) with a sustain point mechanism. (by this way you can use a “note off” to change the melody in the same instrument)
  • “curve” instead of “point” in the pitch enveloppe, allowing to perform the small glide in the melodic structure
  • 4 stereo enlarged sub-samples slightly detuned with no interpolation on the first one (that has a better attack)

Editing Tips :

• I first used “points”, edited precisely points in the pitch enveloppe editor, and when it’s done I’ve converted it into “curves”
  • I’ve doubled the transgater’s resolution, with a DSP Delay fx as shown in the second part of the .xrns song.

Let me know what you think about it.

Have fun with Renoise !
:yeah:

Can these envelopes somehow be read and written by the API?

Hopefully in the future, but not at the moment.

Hopefully in the future… :panic: wonnerful:)