Native Arpeggiator Idea

is it ok to -1 ?

i think the value boxes are a really nice and clean way of implementing that, but i think they should be +INF to -INF (in other words, not limited - i don’t like things limited :slight_smile:
note length is great! hadn’t thought of that one.
nice you agree on the random option, thanks for that.
i think you are right on the 05xx command with sample instruments. whatever, fuck it, let’s forget about the portamento. the device is cool enough to overcome that.
i completely agree with you on not complicating it any further, it looks pretty versatile right now and i sure hope this suggestion makes it into one of the next versions! good work man!

I took the freedom to edit your nice layout to show you what i was thinking about.
By SPL i mean steps per line, set it to four like in the image and the arpeggio will play the first four steps in the first line, 5-8 in the next line and 9-12 in the third. Then it starts over because the lenght is set to 12 steps.
To me this seems even simpler and more powerful.
It would be nice to be able to set a step to random aswell, but i didn’t draw that.

If you for instance have the pattern speed set to 32 at 140BPM you could set the SPL to 1/16 if you wanted a slow arpeggio.

@rhowaldt:
I think that “+INF to -INF” is not able to do since it’s Transpose, but the range may be enlarged.(Renoise’s Transpose param seems to be “-120st to +120st”)

There is not any guarantee, but I pray for it, too. :)

@TheBellows:
Ah, Steps/Line is something Renoise-ish and powerful indeed.

But about the up/down arrow buttons in your image, I think that they may be omitted now.
If lower frame grows more big in the future, it can be there though.
Simply I want the attractive GUI. ;)

@satobox: the -INF +INF was simply an example, i know it is no practically possible setting for this kind of thing, but from your own suggestion i see you get what i mean :)

i also agree with you on TheBellow’s arrows being unnecessary. for incremental switching of values can be done through a click+drag, as is the case with, for example, the DSP chain ‘master’ device’s delay setting.
(in fact, i think it’s true for all blue-colored values and not for the white ones. this is kinda strange, but will make a new thread for that - update: here it is!)

Hehe, i didn’t make myself clear.
My purpose was not to give you an improved layout, but to show you how i would want an arpeggio to work. I agree my design looks awful. :lol:
It’s all about function and my point is that i want to be able to choose between a positive or negative value on each step so that you wouldn’t need to only go up or down.
This way the octave range and type wouldn’t be nessesary.
I’m not shure what i was thinking with the SPL though, because i see now that it’s the same as your steps/line, i guess i just edited it away in photoshop by mistake.
I may have misunderstood how your version works though, maybe i’m missing something?

@rhowaldt:

About Blue & White Values issues; Well, to be honest I am not troubled about it much, though I can understand your point.
Maybe when the big layout improvement (expandable lower frame) comes in the future, devs should rethink about effector panel layout too. At that time, I guess that such improvement will come too, maybe. Though, I can’t promise anything about it… :unsure:

@TheBellows:

Maybe we have an same thought. Let me explain more about my mockup.

If you select “Chord” as Arp-type and input only 1 note to the pattern editor and turn on all steps on the Arp-GUI, you can use this Arpeggiator just like you want, I think.

2057 arp04.png

“Chord” means simply triggering chord notes at once according to rhythm pattern, so if you input only 1 note and turn on all seq-steps, you will hear simple repeated notes. Then you can change transpose value of each step.

Ahhh, no no, it’s just your idea. I edited the image in this morning after reading your post. Sorry for the confusion. :P

Need a fractional way of inputting as multiple notes per line would be far too fast for the way myself (and many others) conpose!

Would it be possible to have the Arp have modes where it retriggers the sample on each arp stage, or adjusts playback pitch while keeping point in sample/envelopes as desired?

+1

Of course, you’re right satobox, i just thought Type = Up would mean the values are all positive and if Type = Down would mean the values are all negative, didn’t think there were supposed be other Types. I think it looks very good now! :)

You wouldn’t have to play multiple notes per line because you could divide like 1/128 or 1/256 if you wanted to.
At 1/128 it would play a note every second line at LPB 64, every forth at LPB 32 and so on.

The 00 effect command plays 6 steps/line every time, so imo this will be a major improvement. :)

something like this would be awesome.

How does that even vaguely relate to what you said earlier?

Where clearly the Line is the deciding factor, having a different LPB makes no difference to what you were suggesting!

Although Steps Per Beat, based on LPB could work. But still your numbers above just make no sense! If you were to use a LPB:64 (although 8 and 12 are more common for me, that would be a hugely fast patten. What actually is the limit? 128?) and wanted a step on every other line then it would be 1/32 (64/2 = 32.) 1/128 (your example value above) would play two stages per line.

I thought it was based on your Ticks Per Line setting…

Hmmm, maybe “Lines / Step” is better?? or simply it’s better to back to Tempo base??

I can understand about retrigger (indeed it’s interesting), but cannot understand the description of the latter half well. :unsure:
But anyway, I think that it’s too complicate for putting them into the lower frame.
To add such features further, we need more big Arp-editor like FM8 on the middle frame, maybe.

You’re right, what i said earlier was wrong i should have said this:
You wouldn’t have to play multiple notes per line because you could divide like 1/128 or 1/256 if you wanted to.
At 1/128 it would play a note every second beat at LPB 64, every forth at LPB 32 and so on.

Steps/Line = 1 → then one tone of the arp sequence plays over 1 line
Steps/Line = 1/2 → then one tone in the arp sequence plays over 2 lines
Steps/Line = 1/8 → then one tone in the arp sequence plays over 8 lines
If you had LPB 8 then S/L = 8 would mean that one tone would play every beat. At LPB 4 it would play over two beats.
It’s not that difficult is it? Are you with me?

I don’t set the limits mate, i just used ridiculously high settings to show you the arp could play slowly even at this insane speed.
If you wanted a step on every second line then it would be 1/2 every time not 1/32, as it’s based on lines.

Doh! Think I might be tired! Working weekends hurts my brain!!

(Man I wish Shift+Alt+S worked when Quick Editing a post, keep on loosing what I was trying to add/change!)

Anyway fractional values are a bit harder to work with often. The difference is between Steps Per Line and Lines Per Step. I personally think the latter will give results in numbers easier to enter for the range most people want to use (or do you want to work out the decimal of 1/64 or 1/96 all the time?) Still gives fairly easy access to the few fractional values, such as 1/2 and 1/3, people who track at low speed and might want multiple steps per line.

I had a few moments of confusion myself, but i think the numbers are right now.

What exactly is the ticks per line setting and how do i change it? You could be right about that one, i’ve never seen that setting.

it’s a hark to the past but I believe it still exists as things like Dx and Ex I believe are based on it.

Set in Song Settings.

http://tutorials.renoise.com/wiki/Song_Settings

Although the description there is obviously out of date as Automation is no longer reliant on it for resolution, for example.

Maybe that is better yes, but you wouldn’t really need those high numbered decimals to often though, it would become a seqencer instead of an arpeggio if it plays this slow,
at Lines Beat 8 i would still prefer 1 or 2 tones(steps) per line.

Edit: Decimals i say, it’s not what i meant, not shure what to say in english, fraction? It’s “brøk” in norwegian. :P

I can’t see people often wanting to go over 4 steps per beat. So 0.5, 0.333rec and 0.25

Using double BPM (400 or so) amd 16/24LPB I can see people wanting to use a few positive values! And Arps are often used as a basic step sequencer. You play a Chord but one of those notes is played at a time, Up, Up/Down etc, at maybe a beat rate, maybe faster, then you change the notes being played through by playing the chord. Simply steops you having to enter hundreds of notes into your pattern! Think evolving chord progression but with simple programming ;)