Native Instruments is restructured and will focus on software maintenance

Who does not know NI? Well, September seems like a very important month for this great company.

As I read in a recent article, NI is going to lay off 100 workers, most of whom form the hardware development block and are going to focus on unifying their products and especially on software maintenance in order to “listen to their users” . It seems that they were launching products but then their control software was a bit “abandoned”, ignoring the problems or requests reported by users…

This is somewhat curious and shocking news at the same time. Nobody wants companies that are dedicated to the development of musical products to have serious problems, either because sales do not work as they should, or because the decisions that come from above are not, at times, right.

They seem to want to centralize all their software to be interconnected with the Internet. Maybe so they can have better control over their users and their opinions, suggestions, reports, and probably control piracy more.

Well, you know how these things work. Official statements can make up what really happened. Because the dismissal of a large part of the workforce is something serious. It is not a decision that is taken lightly. It is usually forced for some important reason.

Do you know anything about this subject? Here is a link from a website where real workers of the company give their opinion. Comments are not wasted:

https://www.glassdoor.co.uk/Reviews/Native-Instruments-Reviews-E33496.htm

It really seems that the problem has not been economic, but rather a thoughtful decision of restructuring, to unify all its products more. Other companies are already on the hunt for some engineers who are going to be free now.

I don’t know if all this is 100% true. So take this thread delicately. I use NI software. I hope the company is doing well.

3 Likes

I was a bit surprised. Their VSTi:s are very established (and not cheap), and lots of people seem to be happy when other software get NKS support. It seems like they shouldn’t be in much trouble with this kind of market share, unless either 1) bureaucracy and overhead became too much, the company outgrowing itself, and/or 2) investors wanting to ‘streamline’ (maximize profit) with some dubious vision.

Yeah, of course they will be wording it in some way that sounds like the users will benefit.

1 Like

Its a weird story - also that beringer tried to employ some of the laid staff - we can only hope that NI will get thru somehow and continu with their topp hardware and software. I do agree that Massiv X is kind off a flopp.

I found lot of stuff NI released in the last years pretty useless. Also I am not a fan of their proprietary hardware controller cosmos. So I think this is deserved.

Now gogogo, design us FM9, Pro-54 and Kontakt X, based on that very nice and high speed code you already have, including proper scalable 4k-guis.

1 Like

Looks like Renoise got UI scaling before Kontakt did! Who would have thought? :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

They took a load of VC money so now they can only make shitty, short-term gain business choices.

2 Likes

Whats VC?

Venal Cowardice

2 Likes

Venture Capitalists

1 Like

They are supposedly scrapping most hardware projects according to laid of staff… and it shouldn’t be because their business is bad as it’s revenue has been growing year over year, so it sounds just like it’s some kind of new direction they’ve decided to go.

Their new software is said to be released later 2020, I’m in for a Komplete upgrade, now I don’t know when and what to do…

1 Like

Their hardware like Maschin Mk3 or Komplet Keyboards are really fine - very solid build - very good software intretration and such - much much better than any Akai or so which look cheap in comparsion. The move to a future Native one cloud subscription modell or what will com next year seem odd.

ni oficialnewzz - https://www.kvraudio.com/news/native-instruments-issues-official-statement-regarding-the-state-of-its-business-46170

This is my impression: It makes me feel funny that NI want to look good on the public saying that they will try to relocate (plug) some of their employees into other companies, and that they care about their families. But listen, Mr. Worker, I’ve thrown him out of his job, where you’ve been working for the past few years!!! Fuck a little! It is curious that this happens when, supposedly NI has had good income.

100 workers have been laid off (20% of the workforce). The reason, it seems, changed strategy in a desire to centralize its products. I suppose that basically they will concentrate on taking all the available software from NI and centralizing it so that, finally, the end user, the trusted client of NI, pays more times for a period of time, for that of continuing to maintain the software they are consuming . That is, lower staff of workers but charge more. What is called greed.

This is another example of how a company cares about its workers. Companies are not to give work, they are to make money. This is very unfortunate. Couldn’t they have done the same without throwing so many people out of their work?

I don’t know how the subject is in Germany, which is where it will affect the most. But here in Spain this is very common. It is increasingly difficult to achieve a job, much less a stable job. Companies only look for money, money, and money, and grow. And the big companies, those that monopolize everything, have been the big job destroyers, with their minimum profit margin per unit sale that has destroyed any competition from smaller companies. This market, of always pretending to grow, is destroying the well-being of the people.

Well, consumer people, let’s keep it up! Keep buying products from those big companies that have a ridiculous margin of unit sales benefits to continue destroying the market, or keep buying from companies that kick out their workers when the company is having good profits.

Let’s keep squeezing the market!

Are you following what AVID has been doing lately?

2 Likes

IMO you can assume that NI lost their passion in the topic, because of the management. If creativity and passion will not be rewarded, and it always is unsure, if you will keep the job, and your team colleagues will switch all the time, I wouldn’t invest any kind of creative thought or extra energy into that company at all.

And maybe this is exactly what we have seen in the last ten years. Good marketing, but products without any idea, slow apps and plugins, outdated guis. I was totally wondering why they seem to started Massive X from ground up - it is an extremely cpu demanding synth, with questionable features (a.k.a. nothing really new). The original Massive was super slick and fast, and aliasing free, it could have been used as coding base. Also their reactor synths do not count as real synthesizers. FM8, Pro-53, Massive 1, Guitar Rig, those are the plugins I am talking about! Why they did not new versions of those all, handcoded and maybe assembler optimizations, with similar guis, but scalable and 4k capable? Because such a level of coding quality needs a lot of passion and is not possible in such a company structure. Maybe it is a general problem of modern bigger companies, due stupid, profit-only oriented tactics. Since you see low quality at Apple, Microsoft etc., too, and a mind-blowing lack of ideas.

The focus is at marketing and selling, creating dependancies for the customer, not development anymore. That’s why I would be ok with it, if NI was dissolving. And I hate their controllers, the hardware itself is quite high quality, but the bundled controller software is a proprietary hell, slow and autistic.

1 Like

Dear god I hope not, I never do subscription stuff… OMFG they are going to do that right :frowning:

1 Like

That’s how it is now. Luckily, more companies are starting to go with their own sampler, that should teach NI a lesson. Hopefully!