New Aphex Twin music 2023

A new Aphex Twin E.P is incoming only july 28th.

The first track is online.

I love the look of the vinyl cover:

3 Likes

I am 100% going to grab the CD.

2 Likes

I pre-ordered the download. My CD player died last year. Got a 2nd hand replacement but that one also crapped out. Thinking hard about picking up the vinyl version just for the artwork.

I like to buy them to collect, but I always just rip to FLAC anyway. Easier to store CDs compared to vinyl, I know I could just buy digitally and cut out a step - but I like a physical fall back just in case. I’ve got too much of an addictive personality to get into vinyl (again) lol

1 Like

Lot’s of cirklon references , video shows the cirklon’s ck pattern edit screen projected on the cube in the middle of the screen .
And ofcourse the cirklon LCD screen on the album
That being said , I think the new song is a bit mediocre , the melodies just don’t grab me like they used to do in the past …and this comes from an aphex fanboy since 1995 :slight_smile:
Curious if the rest will be any bettter

4 Likes

Lol yeah, I’m with you on this one. The melodies and sound design feel amateurish/geriatric on this track and the perc/breaks don’t feel that fresh… Aphex fanboy since 92 and I hope he doesn’t jump the shark with this release. Fingers crossed that the other tracks are stronger :crossed_fingers:

the visual art is gorgeous tho :fire:

1 Like

Spot on! It feels rather tame to me, too. And perhaps even worse, it feels like he is repeating himself with this one. That said, I do give him the benefit of the doubt. Hence why I pre-ordered.

Quite, the melody in this one is rather poor, indeed. Not much in terms of tension or rhythmic interest. I do like the sound design, though it’s nothing special.

I do hope he will try to push the envelope again with the music. I did check out some of his recent live sets on youtube. It had some interesting, harder stuff occasionally that I didn’t recognize.

Yup! Every once in a while a Cirklon comes up for sale. And I’m always interested in it, but it’s way beyond my means. I’d love to play with one for a day or so. Just to have the hands on experience with it.

1 Like

I actually really really like the new track,excellent production on it.Massive bass.Pads are really beautiful and i love the sparse melodies and harmonies.Drums are nice and fat.Love that crash he has in it too, sounds like its being inflated with air, the one at 2:09.More than anything it reminds me of how much i wish Renoise could handle microtonality natively and also how much id love a reel to reel tape machine!There’s only one thing i don’t like about it,that sample of his voice (i presume) for the pad at the end has an annoying click at the start, like he forgot to top and tail it!I

2 Likes

yeah, actually this track is growing on me with repeat listens on a decent system… that little pop is kinda annoying though, but I can only imagine it was included on purpose. wabi-sabi and all that.

@toybox the simplest method of native microtuning that i’ve found (for sample based instruments, at least) is to use a unipolar velocity tracker on pitch, set to one semitone, with [vel>vol] button disabled in the keyzones tab. then you can use velocity to dial in the fine tuning with as much precision as you want in the pattern editor. If you need amplitude control as well, you can always use Lxx or a macro on the amplitude input or operand.

like this

this method is not how I usually approach unique pitch classes in renoise, but it is super simple to set up and does yield super fine control over pitch values, and is polyphonic to boot

key tracker to pitch also works, but yields less control. I usually use stepper to pitch, which gives excellent fine control over pitch classes and ease of use at the sacrifice of polyphony

3 Likes

THe cirklon is amazing , I have a v2

1 Like

awesome! listening now

1 Like

This first track from Aphex Twin is amazing. Perhaps it sounds like old mid-90s music. But I’m old enough. Nostalgia helps me. And because of all that, I think this music is far better than 99% of the modern things that flood the streaming platforms. That’s only my opinion. And hey, that means there are still 1% of good modern things that I like too! :wink:

I’m not sure if this is suitable to me.If i wanted to split an octave into say 46 notes could i do that?How would i know the ratios between them?

For such research, it is better to experiment with the Scala program,
which specializes in such things. It’s a lot of theory :slight_smile:

1 Like

Upon several listens , I agree that the track really grows on you .

5 Likes

No need i use this,terrible workflow in renoise though.Unless its one of the synths listed that automatically detects tuning then its pretty easy to work with but that list is relatively small atm.

This technique is quite good, thanks for that.I may not be able to know exactly what I’m doing in terms of frequency and scales but its great for tuning by ear!

1 Like

Cool. glad if this is useful to you. definitely want to hear more microtonal breaks from you :grin:

[quote=“ToybOx]:., post:13, topic:70080, username:ToybOx”]
If i wanted to split an octave into say 46 notes could i do that?
[/quote]

this (and any other EDO tuning) would be more easily done with a key tracker to pitch in the mod section. workflow is simple, like this…

•turn OFF [key>pitch] in the keyzones tab (this is crucial lol)
•set your pitch range in the pitch mod section, in this case 12 st
•create a key tracker, set it to unipolar mode
•46 equal divisions would be 4 octaves minus 2 steps, so, set the key tracker range to C4 to A#7 (this being 2 steps below the 48 steps of C8)
•profit

the upside here is that you don’t have to fuck with velocity programming and you have the vol column free for volume commands. EDO tunings are easy like this, but the key tracker method does not work well for “just” or “perfect” or harmonic tunings.

and of course you could use this method across whatever pitch range you want. 17 equal divisions across 5 semitones, whatever you want. If you needed a second octave of this (or a third) just set the pitch and key ranges correspondingly larger. a bit of simple math will do it, though you might need to shift your root note and starting key to get enough room on the keyboard for all these nasty/tasty microtones

hope this opens some native microtuning doors for you :metal::alien:

1 Like

This method does not work polyphonically?

It does.

Only the stepper method is monophonic. It’s also more complex to route, but allows for fixed arbitrary pitch/frequency. Good for exotic scales and just intonation