New Meta Device: Hydra

had an idea and thought i’d share it.

the idea is for a meta device that has a parameter slider on it and then some effect and effect parameter selectors. the idea is to use a single parameter slider to control multiple other parameters in the dsp chain. the option to invert (and possibly multiply or divide) the parameter value when it is applied to another effect would be cool too. this would essentially allow you to control multiple effects/parameters with a single slider which can then be controlled via midi or lfo.

the end result would look something like this:

pay no attention to the fact that they’re all pointing at the same effect, it was a quick mockup. :)

the only other feature i could think of adding to something like this is an additional drop down that allows you to select different channels, so that you could map to effects in the dsp chains of other channels.

nifty huh?

This idea has been mentioned many times. And would for sure kick ass.

You miss range settings in that mockup, though. You must be able to define a max/min setting for each parameter.

would be a very nice device indeed, maybe in combination to assign parameters on a xy grid be extra narly :

range would be neat, however, in the mentioned example, the controlling value is given in terms of percents, and as far as i know, despite the opinions of managers in corporate institutions, 100% is all the percents there are. :P

EDIT
actually i think you’re right about the range thing, but i think it could be adequately managed with the combination of the multiply/divide feature and an offset option

Hmm, a GUI with a thousand buttons and sliders…

How about:

function range_check (input, min, max) {  
 if (input < min) input = min;  
// etc., you get the idea, obviously you would want a shared pool of these little helper functions  
 return input;  
}  

input1.lowestVal = 0;  
input1.highestVal = 1;  
// etc.  

if (input3 > 0.5) {  
 input2 = input1 + input3 / 2.0;  
}  

vst.blahdiblah.parameter1 = range_check(input1 * 2 + input2 * input3, 0, 500);  

your gratuitous display of C programming knowhow made me realize i could just do this over midi using the Apple IAC Midi router and puredata.

nifty…

nevermind :P

That sounds interesting, care to elaborate? :o

i used to be a hard-kore anti-apple-ist.

when i started making music with my powerbook, one of the first things i was introduced to is what’s called the “IAC driver”. In Applications->Utilities->Audio MIDI Setup there is a panel where you can connect various applications that are tapped into the system’s midi driver. so for example you could send and receive midi data from the IAC Midi driver in renoise. take the midi output of renoise, and route it into puredata. Puredata runs a patch that takes midi controller input, mathematically mangles the values as you want and splits them into controller values that you can then assign to various sliders back in renoise.

the only issue i see now that i think about it more is that, renoise gui sliders don’t send midi values (unless i’m forgetting something, but it’s 1:30am and i should be asleep). you could use it with an external controller tho.

i believe there is a program called midi-yoke that does something similar to this for PC. puredata is a really fun and easy way to set up midi-enabled stuff. i’ve played with using midi generated from puredata patches to play samples in renoise, it’s funny when you let them track out for you. haven’t messed with it in a while, but this is kinda piquing my interest. we’ll see…