New Squarepusher Album

Not the whole albums actually, just a few songs, they are on my get list, but from what i’ve heard of them, they’re a bit more straightforward jungle, whereas what I really like about Hello everything is that it flows really well through jazz, funk, jungle, ambient, and drill and bassy stuff, (I think? I’m not brllnt with genres) all while still keeping the mood of some sort of outer space lounge party

not saying its a bad record , just aint my vibe. neither are most punk bands though. (But i did always like the Minute Men.)
Sounds to me as if, on the tracks that are sound a bit more “live” (or like a rock band) he was inspired perhaps by a band like Lightning Bolt, who have some pretty crazy drumming going on. Who knows maybe i’m completely of the mark. Anyway, where Lightning Bolt go more for a primal vibe with intricate drumming, Square pusher likes to add more funky accents to pull it more into the fusion realm, which I’m not wild about.

it’s hard to talk about styles/ tastes isn’t it :) :)

Also not a big fan of the distortion effect he uses on the rocking tracks. just sounds like inserting a random bitcrusher or something . Always felt that Aphex twin was the master of the just the right amount of distortion.

But yeah you are right I should just listen to something else.

yes yes yes. JUST A SOUVENIR is amazing work. can`t stop listening to it for 3rd day!
also a good sign that Mr. Jenkinson in a good mood and form (i mean, that his HELLO EVERYTHING was really weak in common).

offtop:

New Metallicas album is just fucking great. New Slipknots output is just a waste of money/dl time. Never thought they could record so rigid, dull, stupid, uninteresting album with no soul in it at all. RIP SLIPKNOT.

Agree. +1

Is there something in Ultravisitor Im missing? The fact that “steinbolt” and “everyday I love” are on the same album sort of disqualifies it as a master piece, IMO.

Hard Normal Daddy is by far his best and most well rounded album. Perfect mix of jazz fusion and DnB. Beep Street for example is such a beautiful and moving song.

Wow, it looks like mr. pusher decided to quit the lsd.

Now look at his music…

I dont really like it. But hey… its squarepusher, so its automatically good.

=]

pretty damn disappointed.

hmmm, quite varying opinions around here. i guess that’s to be expected.

sounds like he is more playing and less programming/experimenting.
every song sounds like he is playing and recording it one-shot.
i think he knows that he could get more money through live-shows.

well, the vibe of his first few amazing albums is just gone.
dissapointed.

mlon

Gonna check out this album soon. Squarepusher live in Amsterdam in two months, so gonna check THAT out, too.

As for his previous work, I’m very much digging his Budakhan Mindphone and Burningn 'n Tree but nothing beats Do You Know Squarepusher with Alive in Japan.

Anstromm-Feck 4!!!

i love you.

No, no, we’re talking about The Tuss.

Oh wait, I mean Last Step.

P.S. I love Just A Souvenir. I’m not going to say I don’t prefer stuff like Big Loada and Go Plastic more, but as far as his acoustic side goes, I prefer it GREATLY over Music Is Rotted One Note.

P.P.S. Vocoder!

Music is rottted one note is genius. SIMPLY AWWESOME!!!

If anyone asks about my favorite band, artist, genre of music, album, song, (insert anything related to music), my answer is always… in some way… Squarepusher. Tom Jenkinson has never disappointed me.

However, there’s a sound I prefer to hear and I don’t really hear it on Just A Souvenir. It’s a great release and again, he’s never EVER disappointed me, but I always find myself going back to tracks like Ultravisitor and Theme From Ernest Borgnine. That’s my favorite “Squarepusher Sound”.

Still, two thumbs up, five stars, however you want to say it. I especially love “The Coathanger”. :walkman:

my red hot car is the greatest thing squarepusher has done that has a vaugely memorable name - there are others i love but fuck man - get some decent track names already

hard normal daddy - priceless

Reminds me a bit of Luke Vibert’s disco monniker “Kerrier District”. Fun little album to listen too, moody disco memoradelia vibes.

I loved it!

Star Time 2, Quadrature, Yes Sequitur and The Coathanger are the best!

Behold the coat… HANGER
Observe the coat… HANGER!

genius…

After listening to some of the tracks, it seems this album is definately not for me.

+1 on Beep Street, HND… goose bump worthy!