New Tool (2.7/8): Presonus Faderport Implementation

Hey !

Do you plan on uprgrading the tool for 3.1 ? Apparently, «hold» is deprecated now

Thanks

Faderport driver already works with 3.1. What do you mean with “hold is deprecated now ?”.

What do you mean with “hold is deprecated now ?”.

I think the instrument “hold” trigger option from 3.x (which is truly deprecated in 3.1) got confused with the “virtual modifier key” in this tool.

They’re using similar terminology - but, nothing to worry about ?

Just picked up a Faderport and trying to get this tool to load without much success. I grabbed what seemed to be the latest on github and attempted to drag it into renoise and I get an error stating that it is incompatible. My renoise version is 3.1.1 built 2/6/2017.

Could someone post a link to the latest or working version?

thanks!

FaderPort driver works with latest Renoise 3.1, but isn’t automatically updated by Renoise.

Means: you have to open the tools faderport Folder and edit manifest.xml. Change the API version from 4 to 5 and then it will work as expected.

Hey airman and faderport users,

here is the fixed faderport driver version, it includes the following patches:

03-Aug-15: de.airmann.FaderPort.xrnx-03-aug-15.zip (unzip and then double click extracted xrnx)

Please report bugs. Thx.

Just got faderport this week and had some time to test it.

Original Airmann version was indeed very laggy on osx, so I tried the ffx 07 version above^.

All the lag is gone now and seems to work fine :slight_smile:

For someone else new to this and wondering why does not automation work for volume or filter cutoff (2 things to try first and get frustrated)

• You can’t automate track post volume in renoise, so hitting output button will control pre volume, which you can automate

• Bindings are done for devices in older version of renoise so you need to add something like:

<dsp_binding>Analog Filter</dsp_binding>

<dsp_binding>2</dsp_binding>

<dsp_binding>3</dsp_binding>

<dsp_binding>5</dsp_binding>

<dsp_binding>1</dsp_binding>

<dsp_binding>-1</dsp_binding>

for new devices like Analog Filter in config.xml

Thanks a lot! Brings some hands-on for automation I’ve been looking for long time. :slight_smile:

Hey aksn, thanks for the hint regarding the bindings.

FaderPort driver works with latest Renoise 3.1, but isn’t automatically updated by Renoise.

Means: you have to open the tools faderport Folder and edit manifest.xml. Change the API version from 4 to 5 and then it will work as expected.

Hi Airmann :slight_smile:

I’d like to do what you said but I honestly wouldn’t have a clue where to start. Could you give me some pointers please?

Cheers :drummer:

I’d like to do what you said but I honestly wouldn’t have a clue where to start. Could you give me some pointers please?

First you need to enable the scripting terminal;

How to Enable the Scripting Developer Tools in Renoise

By default Renoise has all the scripting stuff hidden to keep things as easy as possible for those who don’t want to mess around with code. If you want to write scripts, the first thing you have to do is enable the hidden development tools that are built into Renoise. This can be done by:

Opening Renoise’s config.xml file from the preferences folder, and set the ShowScriptingDevelopmentTools property to “true”. If you don’t know where to find the Renoise preference folder, open Renoise and click on “Help” → “Show Preferences Folder…”

After doing this in Renoises tool tab you’ll see an entry for scripting terminal & editor, open it and browse, search for the tool you want to edit in the folder tree, click the arrow icon and look for the manifest file, open it through double clicking and look for the ‘apiversion’ line, change it from 4 to 5 and don’t forget to press execute in the bottom right of the scripting terminal window, this will save what you’ve just changed. Now try re-booting the tool.

First you need to enable the scripting terminal;

After doing this in Renoises tool tab you’ll see an entry for scripting terminal & editor, open it and browse, search for the tool you want to edit in the folder tree, click the arrow icon and look for the manifest file, open it through double clicking and look for the ‘apiversion’ line, change it from 4 to 5 and don’t forget to press execute in the bottom right of the scripting terminal window, this will save what you’ve just changed. Now try re-booting the tool.

Thank you for taking the time to help me out Djeroek :walkman:

I followed your instruction and its working. Now that I know how to get under the hood I’ll try to see if I can modify the Duplex for my MPD32.

Again, thank you :smiley:

Hey, I stumbled upon this while visiting thomann.de

Apparently, PreSonus has a new version of the FaderPort coming out in a month:

https://www.thomann.de/gb/presonus_faderport_v2.htm

Can someone tell me if it’s just a “refresh” or it actually adds any new features?

Wasn’t immediately obvious from visiting their website.

Different modes for “tighter integration with different DAWs” (protools, cubase, logic, ableton). Updated buttons layout. So, mostly button refinements and updated software layout, it seems. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3jZaztulPfk

Anything new for 3.2 concerning this? Also, I upgraded the Faderport (Classic, ofc) firmware to v1.45. Will that be a problem? Thanks!

no fader working tho, on neither 3.1.1 nor 3.2 (the only i’ve tried for yrs because faderport was separated by an ocean from me). Perhaps it’s that I updated the firmware (and can’t go back b/c you need USB 2.0 to do that)

edit

otherwise, so far so good on 3.2, from what i can tell

1 Like

Hi. Does this tool still work? With the new Faderport V2? Or even Windows 10?

sorry can’t tell, haven’t tried, yet :-).

Not sure if it works for Faderport v2, since I don’t own it. The button layout on the hardware has been modified, and obviously there are some new buttons+functions. BUT: my impression is that there’s a good chance that they didn’t change the midi command layout/ordering at least for those buttons which exist in v1 and v2. If that’s the case it could work, but some buttons may have no function. My advice: just order Faderport v2 e.g. at Thomann and check it out. If it doesn’t work, either adjust the code or send the device back.

Even if Presonus has changed the midi command layout/ordering it shouldn’t be too hard to adjust the v1 code for v2. Feel free to fork on github: https://github.com/4irmann/renoise-faderport-driver and send me a pull request

Win10 should be no problem at all, since my Faderport code is 100% based on Renoise API and midi. As long as Renoise doesn’t change the API it should work under Win10, Linux, Whatsoever. Only thing that can be a problem is the name of the midi device. But this can be configured. And ok, there are some minor Renoise differences on various platform. E.g. the lagging on MacOS is a good example (I’m on Windows). But thanks to ffx and others they managed to work around it. Great to have that community !

If Presonus would provide me a Faderport v2, I could adjust the code. But since I’m happy with v1, there’s no need for me to buy v2. Funny thing is: Presonus once sent me a v1 device for free, since they thought that I would be a member of the Renoise core team. They also suggested to send me other, more advanced, Presonus devices, but as they found out that I’m just “a simple” open source develper they dropped the contact :-D. Not very clever IMO, because devices will be sold if drivers exist. And developing drivers is much more time consuming and cost intensive than giving away a device which costs a few bugs for the company.

1 Like

Thanks for the reply! Happy to hear :slight_smile: But… just found a V1 for €65 and bought it. Looking forward to use it with your tool!

Congrats :+1: … I think v2 is a bit expensive, too. And the fader is probably the same as in v1.

1 Like

Hi Airmann, i just received my Faderport, but cant get your tool to work.
Do you know for sure it works on Renoise 3.2.1?

Log txt gives;

Version : Renoise V3.2.1 (Nov 7 2019)
Date : 2020-05-13
Time : 10:29:17

ScriptingTools: Initializing Scripting Tool: ‘C:\Users\envee\AppData\Roaming\Renoise\V3.2.1\Scripts\Tools\de.airmann.AutoColors.xrnx’…
ScriptingTools: Script with the ID ‘de.airmann.FaderPort’ is NOT compatible and can’t be auto-upgraded because of token(s) ‘hold’. Disabling the tool…
ScriptingTools: Initializing Scripting Tool: ‘C:\Users\envee\AppData\Roaming\Renoise\V3.2.1\Scripts\Tools\re.dread.dAnushri.xrnx’…
ScriptingTools: Initializing Scripting Tool: ‘C:\Program Files\Renoise 3.2.1\Resources\Scripts\Tools\com.renoise.UpdateChecker.xrnx’…

Warning Message: The following tools have been disabled, because they are not compatible with this version of Renoise:
Warning Message: de.airmann.FaderPort
Warning Message: Please download the latest version of the tools from https://www.renoise.com or contact the authors of the tools for assistance.
Warning Message: Tool Developers: the Renoise log file contains information why a tool has not been auto-upgraded.