New Tool (2.8, 3.0): Renoise Freesound Integration

I really hope a forthcoming renoise version gets prehear options in the api :)

it’s really amazing i will try this :w00t:

For the audio preview you could use a console based audio player.

On OS X you can run:

os.execute('afplay filepath.wav &')  

EDIT:
Adding the & sign at the end of the command prevents afplay from halting the renoise main thread.

I live! Again!

thats briliant idea, but i dont want to guess what program users have installed on their system, especialy i dont know what command line player is available on windows, so i will just add options to configuration to configure executable for preview.

Ive worked a little on this tool yestreday, and ill upload new version including waveform preview today to git.
Problem is im using table layout so waveform is realy low (height).
New version has will also have ability to store downloaded samples in configurable directory.

You don’t have to…
local file_url = ‘file://myfile.wav’
renoise.app():open_url(file_url)

hmmm, i checked it now, but it happens to open default audio editor - ocenaudio in my case.
this is an option but for fast preview bunch of samples using cli player will be better option

Ok, so version 0.4 is published, any feedback is welcome.
I didnt make ability to select folder for saving downloaded samples, but every other thing seems to work (under linux ;)/>/>).
I would welcome any feedback.
As sugested by vV by default tool will use default app provided by renoise.app():open_file() for previewg samples, but you can configure your own by changing configuration. I use mplayer, other may like mpg123 - your choice.

source is available at https://github.com/occulkot/com.renoise.Freesound.xrnx

When i click on download, it tells “downloading … please wait” but doesnt download anything and writes out error: .
main.lua:76: variable ‘final_name’ is not declared…

Othervise it looks like a great tool, playing samples through vlc works though…

hmm - weird but i was pretty sure i pushed version with this error fixed ;) - try that one

Still doesnt work. Can play sample but when i click on download it in case 1) doesnt do anything, it stucks downloading 2) writes out that this sample can not be imported 3) writes out new error (cant replicate now, sorry, so no details) and then preview or searching doesnt work.

hmmm, what os do you use?
i tested it on linux, friend is using windows, everything seems to work fine

i found out that samples wont play if you are redownloading them, without closing renoise - because of " (1)" in filename, but ill check if its possible to easly fix it

up-date manjaro 64-bit linux (it is based on arch linux).

by default renoise stores files in /tmp/Renoise-$PID/ - so you can check if there are any .wav or .aif files, but ill try to work on logs tommorow and maybe we will find out problem ;)

wow, first version didn’t work here last time I checked, now it does :drummer: , nice.

Holy krap, got to test this asap. The freesound integration is one of my most used tools for renoise. I don’t have a large sample collection, and I like working with stuff on the fly, just casually. So this has been just perfect.
I’ve made some mods on the previous version that deal with file naming. I recall I made it more specific, like adding the sample number and author and stuff like that.

KMaki - good to hear that this script is useful for someone, if you want just send me code of your changes to occulkotgmail.com, i could add them together with loging system and saving samples to specified directory.

Also I would welcome any suggestions about list. I have no idea how to display sample name and author ;)
Currenty used “grid” layout is IMO more useful than table - as for me while searching for specific sound i like to know how they “look”, also i dont care about the name that much.
I tried to put $name …’ by '… author into “tooltip” but it doesnt display, at least not under my renoise, maybe it would be good option to create some kind of status bar and displaying this on mouse over? need to check if its available by renoise.API

Hi!!
I cannot pre-listen the samples on a Mac!
I do i configure an app so that i can pre-listen them?

Ah, really great tool!!
Thnx

hmm - in menu there is “settings” section. You need to point it to some command line player - someone above suggested program like “afplay”, so it perhaps will be something like /usr/bin/afplay - i dont know what is directory structure in mac ;)

Ah OK!!
Thnx for replying!!