New Tool (2.8, 3.0): Renoise Freesound Integration

Thanks for this, it is awesome! The GUI is great and makes it much easier to use. The only thing missing for me is the ability to preview the sounds in Renoise but I’m not sure if the API allows for that.

Anyway thanks for sharing :)

I am back again. I ve found that everything is downloading (if it downloads) into /home/akiz/freesound, but according to your manual it shouldnt…

ill upload new version today, which alows to select download directory.
Buh this is realy weird - without download dir configured it should fetch file into /tmp/renoise-$pid direcory.

Hi

I just grabbed the latest version, looking really great with the previews, nice!

However when I click download (the little arrow down next to play) I get an error: “Sample import failed with the error: ‘The specified file is not a valid audio file!’”. Curiously enough, the name of the dialog says “Sample Export Failed”, I’d expect Sample Import Failed…

I’m running renoise 2.8.1 under linux.

Hope you can enlighten me, if I missed something!

Maybe you could look at this diff, I think I solved the problem, at least on my computer.

Hint: you were not reading the options.SavePath.value anywhere :blink:

ive created this option for further development ;). Problem with import export ocurs when sample file doesnt have extension
v0.5 now supports using this variable

new version in attachement and published on gitgub.

Great!

Any reason why this tool is not listed on Browse all Tools | Renoise? It’s a bit hard to keep track of all the versions floating around as attachments to sperate posts + the github stuff :rolleyes:

heh - i didnt submit it yet, about to do it right now.
BTW - new version is working for you?

Yeah.

However I found that I can only prehear a sample once, after that it’s just silence. Tried with various playback tools under linux (play, aplay, cvlc, mplayer, maybe more), same result :(/>/>

EDIT:
…unless I don’t define a player in freesound, then every prehear opens up another instance of vlc (don’t know how to change that default to something like mplayer), but sound is produced.

Maybe the difference lies in the difference between these two lines:

renoise.app():open_url(‘file://’ … fname)
os.execute(options.Executable.value … ’ ’ … fname … ‘&’)

Seems like the last one might not be working as expected…

EDIT2:
I figured out how to change the system default from vlc to mplayer + I removed the warning dialog from the source. So, although hacky, it works ok here now :yeah:

can you check that:

?

I noticed that redownloaded file has " (number)" added to filename, maybe quoting it could help.

Right on! That solved it, why didn’t I think of that?

good, ill post update tommorow.

Great!

Make sure you submit it to tools.renoise…

Great stuff 29a!!

Here’s how I configured VLC with the freesound tool on Os X.

Program for playing sample:

/Applications/VLC.app/Contents/MacOS/VLC --intf rc --run-time 15 --play-and-exit  

The options:

• “–intf rc” removes the VLC GUI. You can remove this option to open a new VLC instance for each preview.
  • “–run-time 15” this will limit the playback to 15 seconds. The number can be changed to any floating value indicating time in seconds.
  • “–play-and-exit” tells the application to shutdown when playback is complete.
    For more VLC command-line options see: https://wiki.videolan.org/VLC_command-line_help/

Note: afplay does not support ogg format so you need to change the preview from freesound to mp3 to be able to use afplay.

Thanks, I was struggling to get it to work on OSx

ok, tool now is uploaded on renoise library.
ive uploaded updated version with bugfix for preview with executable.
also it now store executable info, so you wont be bugged about it anymore.

http://www.renoise.com/tools/renoise-freesound-integration

edit: i also had to change tool id from com.renoise.* to com.occulkot.* as com.renoise is reserved for renoise team

Great, downloaded + tested, seems to work just fine!

I noticed VLC hangs by default after playback. This was flooding my cpu so I added the “–play-and-exit” flag to the configuration. Be sure to update your configuration if you used my settings.

/Applications/VLC.app/Contents/MacOS/VLC --intf rc --run-time 15 --play-and-exit  

Awesome tool thanks!

Ah I spoke too soon. It lets me preview but it doesn’t let me download files! I get a pop up saying “Cannot Move File or Folder: Cannot move Renoise Tmpfile-0-51: The filename, directory name or volume label syntax is incorrect”. How do I fix it?