New Tool (2.8-3.1): Padsynth

Carbonthief: I’m not sure if you know this already but you can kind of use PadSynth in r3. Change the API version number from 3 to 4 in the manifest.xml file (line 5) then reinstall the tool in r3. But that may only get you part of the way. I find that sometimes to get PadSynth to generate a pad sample you have to create a blank sample in the instrument first. It may be a bit hit and miss (until drakmaniso looks at it further), but it may be worth a try if you use it a lot :)

Hey that worked, thanks!

I didn’t know this tool. This is really really good, can’t wait for the day Padsynth and Morphsynth will be on R3. The 4Tey trick (changing manifest.xml) didn’t work for me, maybe I’m doing something wrong? worked for me on linux. Not in osx :huh:

I haven’t looked at the API changes yet, so I don’t know how much work is needed.

In Manifest.xml you must upgrade the ApiVersion to 4

In PadSynth.lua, in your PadSynth:create_sample() function, you have the following bit of code (on line 553 in the version I have):

self.instrument:insert_sample_mapping (renoise.Instrument.LAYER_NOTE_ON, sample_index, note, range)

The insert_sample_mapping() function is now gone from API v4, so PadSynth will fail here after creating the first sample.

You can replace that line of code with this instead:

local sample_mapping = self.instrument:sample(sample_index).sample_mapping
sample_mapping.layer = renoise.Instrument.LAYER_NOTE_ON
sample_mapping.base_note = note
sample_mapping.note_range = range

Admittedly, I haven’t fully explored everything that’s possible in PadSynth, but the changes above will at least get the tool to load and create the note ranges correctly.

Loving the sounds this thing makes :slight_smile:

Edit: 4Tey posted a few more modifications below…

It works but the only problem is when you generate a test note you have to manually mute the sample that shows the harmonic spread.

edit: Of course as a work around you can just generate a small sample to test, and just not have that particular feature.

Following on from dblues patch…

There are two other lines that contain dropped function calls from the previous Renoise API. Around lines 34 and 694 of the PadSynth.lua file you will see something like:

self.instrument:delete_sample_mapping_at (renoise.Instrument.LAYER_NOTE_ON, 1)

I’ve commented those function calls out for the moment.

I’ve added at lines 754-756 of the PadSynth.lua file setting the parameter sample inaudible (-INF volume). However you can happily comment that out if you prefer to always hear the parameter sample along with the genereated pad (clicks and all :wink: )

Finally a little tiny hack of mine. I’ve added at line 53 a reassignment of the self.instrument variable to make sure that this is really pointing to an initialised instrument and sample set as the function PadSynth::generate_samples naturally assumes this :slight_smile:

[Edit: Drakmaniso has posted his update below… :)]

Seriously; I can’t thank you guys enough for updating this wonderful tool. I’ve been using the xrni instruments I made with this tool since 2013. I can’t wait to use it again to create those ethereal out of this world pads that no other synth seems to be able to recreate.

Much much much love

God damn, I love this community.

Thank you, thank you!

This synth is sweet! :w00t:

Following on from dblues patch…

There are two other lines that contain dropped function calls from the previous Renoise API. Around lines 34 and 694 of the PadSynth.lua file you will see something like:

self.instrument:delete_sample_mapping_at (renoise.Instrument.LAYER_NOTE_ON, 1)

I’ve commented those function calls out for the moment.

I’ve added at lines 754-756 of the PadSynth.lua file setting the parameter sample inaudible (-INF volume). However you can happily comment that out if you prefer to always hear the parameter sample along with the genereated pad (clicks and all :wink: )

Finally a little tiny hack of mine. I’ve added at line 53 a reassignment of the self.instrument variable to make sure that this is really pointing to an initialised instrument and sample set as the function PadSynth::generate_samples naturally assumes this :slight_smile:

Nice stuff,

guys can you update the tools page?

Here’s the long overdue update to support Renoise 3…

5843 org.drakmaniso.Padsynth_Rns300_v1.1.xrnx

For now it’s a simple update to support the API changes (thanks to dblue and 4tey for pointing in the right direction); it should be completely compatible with the previous version. In a later version I’ll add basic support for the new modulation and FX chains (i.e. a way to select which chain you want for the generated sample).

I also want to apologize for my lack of response to everyone that contacted me. I had some trouble coping with “real-life” issues.

I set up a public git repository, for convenience:

https://github.com/drakmaniso/PadSynth

I’ll try to update my two other tools in the following weeks.

Here’s the update for Renoise 3.1:

6126 org.drakmaniso.Padsynth_Rns310_v1.2.xrnx

I also added support for some of the new instrument features: you can select the modulation set and device chain that will be associated with the generated samples. You can also set the interpolation and oversampling mode.

Finally, I fixed a bug introduced in the previous version, that prevented loading an existing instrument (I’m surprised no one reported this one! ^ ^).

I just wanted to pop in to say how much I’m enjoying working with this tool! It’s bloody brilliant! Thanks!

So…

I want to put a future request here where you can apply a range of harmonics you can modify without having to effect the rest. This would make this tool a lot more powerful in the long run when doing finite adjustments on the fly.

https://www.renoise.com/tools/padsynth

Thanks to @drakmaniso - holy cow - they’ve taken the PadSynth and given it some amazing new life - TONS of new options to create even more sounds, including:

• the specification of the overtones is now done in two steps: a formula to define the general shape, and the sliders to customize it;

• the formula has several presets, but can also be entered manually! (any Lua code will do);

• the formula can be further modified by several “curve” settings;

• the sliders can still be edited manually, but there is now several buttons to generate random values;

• the two set of values are multiplied to obtain the final overtone configuration;

• this final overtone configuration is displayed at the bottom of the window;

• it is possible to send this final configuration to either the formula or the sliders, so that it can be further modified.

An example use:

1. Select “Linear Ramp” in the overtone formula menu

2. Tweak the curve settings

3. Click the button “Chaotic Curve” above the sliders

4. Generate a test note,

You can repeat 3 and 4 a few times to try different randomization.

If you want to further tweak the result, you can click the “Send to Sliders” button. Note that this reset the formula an the curve settings. You can now use the buttons under the sliders to modify the result.

6 Likes

pardon my language
but holy shit!
loving the new UI

1 Like

Yeah, this really opened up the PadSynth to far greater sound design opportunities. It’s truly an amazing synth!

1 Like

User-interface updated today - a nice tidying up, looks great!

Find it on the tool page for 3.2

1 Like

Every time I open Renoise (3.3.2) I’m getting a prompt to update this tool, even though I already have. Any idea how I can stop these prompts? Thanks.

Delete post please

@drakmaniso
This is wonderful! It creates very beautiful sounds.
However, pressing the “Generate Test Note” button is a bit cumbersome, so please consider the following

1. assigning it to a shortcut key
  2. option to automatically generate “Generate Test Note” each time parameters are changed