New Tool (2.8): Automasher

Here’s a new version:

3149 org.drakmaniso.Automasher_Rns280_V6.xrnx

I haven’t uploaded it yet to the tool page because there’s a lot of internal changes, so I’d like a chance to catch the major bugs (if there is any ^ ^), before everyone auto-update.

3150 automasher-v6.png

This version introduces the “Trigger on note” feature, though only in a very limited mode, where the curves are fixed length and don’t scale with note duration. Two other modes are planned, one where the curve will simply scale (similar to dblue’s tool), and one where the shapes will be repeated until the next one.

Another change is that now there is three methods to select a zone:

• Cursor position + length - Whole patterns: start with selected pattern, and covers n patterns from there - Whole song

Also, there is a new option, “offset”, which allows to start curves between lines.

With all these new options, I hope the GUI is not getting too confusing…

As english is not my native language, I sometimes struggle finding the correct terms for the interface. Any feedback on this is welcomed.

awesome! Will test :drummer:

Got a bug, playing with the attack settings while, pressing ‘write curve’ when playing the pattern:

Changing the attack/release settings, attack before notes doesn’t seem to do anything, auto-update, or maybe I’m misunderstanding what it should be doing?

edit:

also got this one:

&

Some additional words:

About the fixed length, I thought the ‘realease’ (which should be ‘release’ ;)) setting would set the length of each note-triggered shape, but it currently doesn’t do anything here, see bug notices in my post above.

Wicked :drummer:

I wouldn’t mind having the ‘step to’ and ‘random’ settings in the ‘trigger on note’ tab as well! Having (slightly) variating shapes on each note-event!

‘Whole patterns’ = B) , with this you can trigger the script while having the pattern on play, and it’ll generate from the start automatically, no need to first stop the playing pattern, jump to the first row and generate :yeah: .

If you want to generate shapes over multiple patterns, but the patterns are varying in length, the shapes can look different then you might expect, need…because the shapes aren’t triggered from pattern start, but divided over the complete scope, right? No problem here, but I thought I mention just in case…

I still get it, just have to get acquainted with the new functions :). I’m not sure about the new ‘alternating waves’ tab though, I’d rather have the alternative waves toggle like in the previous version (but, also available in the ‘trigger on note’ section! :guitar: ).

Besides the spelling mistake of ‘release’, it looks fine to me. Maybe there is a more technical correct term for ‘origin’?

Dunno if this classifies as a bug, but I just noticed in the alternating waves view, that when you have the top 2 shape boxes set to ‘off’, selecting shapes in the bottom 2 boxes doesn’t auto-update the envelope.

Thanks Djeroek for the detailed bug reports!

There was a bug and these new features weren’t auto-updating. They should have worked when pressing the “Write Curve” button, though…

I should I’ve explained the meaning of the new parameters:

attack: the length of the first part (usually ramp up) of the curve
release: the length of the second part (ramp down)
attack before notes: if checked, the curve start before each notes, the “attack” part culminates at note -on, and afterward there is the “release” part.

The “step to” and “random” fill be implemented for the “Trigger on note” mode, but I don’t think I’ll add the “alternating waves” option, at least not for now.

Yes, whatever the selection method, the curve is always generated over the complete length of the zone selected. This allows long sweeps, or continuous oscillations, that would be difficult to achieve otherwise. I don’t have a tracker background, so maybe I some of my choices are illogical from a tracker point of view? The pattern concept is the only thing in Renoise I don’t really like (though my old Yamaha RM1x also worked that way).

Yes, that’s a bug.

It sounds a little weird to me too, but I can’t think of a better term.

Ok, so the ‘release’ setting only does something here when you have 2 shapes selected, and will then adjust the second shape. Often I use a shape from the second box, and I expected ‘release’ to attenuate the length of the tail. I thought it was a bug when ‘write curve’ didn’t produce anything and a little strange that attack did attenuate the length of the tail. While I expected ‘attack’ to shift the shape to the right.

In other words, when you have only selected a shape from the right selection box, it is weird that ‘attack’ works like ‘release’ and ‘release’ doesn’t work :D .

Nice!

Nah, it makes sense, manual adjustments are easily made anyway in the case that it is needed.

Checking a thesaurus, the antonym for peak is base or bottom (more synonyms here: 89 Synonyms & Antonyms for BOTTOM | Thesaurus.com & 152 Synonyms & Antonyms for BASE | Thesaurus.com), maybe base is better?

You’re right, that doesn’t make any sense at all! Attack should always be for the first part, release for the second part.

I was afraid that “base” would hide the fact that the peaks can be below the “base/origin”. But maybe it’s clear enough in the interface…

The highest point of a wave is called a peak and the lowest point is called a trough according to google search ^_^ .

Maybe this way of making automation would also be good for generating waveforms in the sampler.

New version, which should fix all the issues discussed above. There’s also a new “trigger on note” mode, where curves scale with note duration.

(I choosed to use “base” instead of origin, as the word “trough” sounds way too much scientific… ^ ^)

3151 org.drakmaniso.Automasher_Rns280_V6.1.xrnx

I have something like that in mind, a tool to create “pad” waveforms in the sampler, i.e. long waveforms with a complex evolution over time. However I don’t think the simple shapes used in this tool would result in interesting sounds, even with morphing added to the mix.

What I’d love to do, is to implement the PADsynth algorithm, used in ZynAddSubFX / Yoshimi…That’s a lot more challenging, though.

New version doesn’t work on tracks which contain notes spread over multiple columns. I think dblue’s implementation takes into account the column the cursor resides in and discards notes on other columns in the same track when generating the envelope. Maybe something to take a look at?

Also, it doesn’t seem to scale here? Or maybe I’m too quick and need to set things up right?

edit:

just encountered this bug:

edit:

the ‘scale with note duration’ doesn’t work when you only have 1 shape selected in either the first or the second box, it does scale when you have 2 shapes selected.

Also encountered this one, having ‘attack before notes’ enabled and tweaking the attack value:

Selecting another shape out of the left selection box gave me:

go through all selectable shapes, and you’ll get similar notices with a different value for the last ShaperWindow.lua.

Changing the peak value gave me:

New version, which corrects a few bugs, and add the options “Step to” and “Random” for the “trigger on note” modes.

3154 org.drakmaniso.Automasher_Rns280_V6.2.xrnx

Yes, that’s probably a good idea. I’ll add this on the todo list.

I really have a problem with one-shape curves! ^ ^ Should be fixed in this version. And thanks again for the bug reports.

Really cool! No bug notices yet :walkman:

When I select an area of automatisation in Automasher - Leght changes equal to selected area.

thnx

That is a request, right? :)

OPs ))) hhahahaha sorry, yes, this idea.

I would love to do that, but currently there is no way to access the automation frame selection from the lua API. Maybe in a future Renoise version…

ok ))) thnx for Your work

Fantastic! Works like a charm.

I’m amazed lately of all the things you tech guys have done. Good move to open up Renoise so great stuff like this has become possible.