New Tool (2.8): Automasher

Ey drakmaniso,

Would it be possible for you to hack this tool, create a new version that would work in Renoise’s ‘Instrument Settings’ - ‘Envelopes’ tab??

I’m currently creating a bunch of sampled instruments and would love to have a similar shape generating tool for the instrument envelopes! :guitar:

I guess certain portions of the automasher code would be redundant, like trigger on note, whole patterns etc…, but would be so nice for soundshaping/mangling!

Thanks for this tool. I’ve been making standard use of fluctuating bpm’s, though haven’t used this tool for automating bpm’s, however,

its quite a breeze to automate non tempo syncable features in some vst’s, giving it a more living and breathing feel.

A couple of ideas that might make automasher better:

1. A way to tie automasher’s “length” to the current Renoise edit-step value.
  • These two concepts are really similar.
  1. Have the edit cursor step forward by “length” steps after shape insert.
  • That way I can click-click-click to fill a pattern with a repeated shape.

Great work, and thanks.
-Harold

It should be possible, unfortunately I don’t have much time right now to work on my tools.

Both are good ideas, however my fear is that the tool interface will become overwhelming with too many options. Hopefully in the future I’ll find some time to work on the “step sequencer for automation” idea, which should be an easier way to achieve this kind of shapes.

Note that in the current tool you can use the “Shapes” parameter to repeat a shape multiple time over the selected zone. So to fill a pattern with repeated shapes, use the “Whole pattern” selection method, and set “Shapes” to e.g. 8 or 16.

No worries, save it for whenever you run out of ideas when bored ;)

bump

How about getting more triggers, like alternatively to ‘trigger on note’; ‘trigger on note-off’? :)

Or any pattern command for that matter, so you can choose to have shapes triggered any time there is a chosen command in the pattern editor. This also would open up using automasher on the master channel which is currently impossible (edit: impossible linked to triggering of course :)).

Cheers :drummer:

I tried to run the script on an effect in a send channel and got:

Hey just landed here and this description of this tool sounds like a must have for me. Would love to try it out but this does not work in Renoise 3 unfortunately. Any chance to get it updated?

Hey just landed here and this description of this tool sounds like a must have for me. Would love to try it out but this does not work in Renoise 3 unfortunately. Any chance to get it updated?

It does work in Renoise 3.0 but you have to manually update the tool yourself;

1. Enable the lua scripting terminal & editor (you need to change something to true in a xml file in Renoises installation folder)

2. Open up Renoise & install script.

3. Go to Tools Tab / Scripting Terminal & Editor, search for the particular tool in the tool tree on the left, double click on ‘manifest.xml’ to open it.

4. Change the line containing ‘Apiversion’ from whatever it is after install, to 4

5. Press execute in the bottom right corner of the lua editor so it saves changes

6. Open tool and make automations :slight_smile:

edit; are you sure Renoise doesn’t auto-update this tool correctly?

Hi, I’ve not much expirience with tools so far but have managed to install already two that work but this one tells me :

_The following tools have been disabled, because they are not compatible with this version of Renoise:

org.drakmaniso.Automasher

Please download the latest version of the tools from http://www.renoise.com/tools or contact the authors of the tools for assistance._

dunno how to solve it… I have the latest Renoise version. However maybe I forgot something and will solve it soon, thanks for the points you’ve listed. Haven’t changed anything -to true- so far (in Renoise installation foler(xml file)) but the other 2 tools work. Thanks for your help and respect for good work/interesting tool.

…dunno how to solve it…

The steps I listed above are a way to get this tool working in 3.0 while it isn’t officially updated yet by the creator, this trick doesn’t work with every non-working tool as there might have been bigger changes under the hood that need expert Lua skills :slight_smile: . This one however seems to work fine after the manual update.

Mission completed. Thank you Djeroek :slight_smile:

Hello, i like the random function of this tool.

Is there a plan for renoise 3?

Is there a plan for renoise 3?

Read a few posts up;

https://forum.renoise.com/t/new-tool-2-8-automasher/35649

Would love a version 3 of this tool!

Would love a version 3.1 of this tool!

fixed :yeah:

It does work in Renoise 3.0 but you have to manually update the tool yourself;

1. Enable the lua scripting terminal & editor (you need to change something to true in a xml file in Renoises installation folder)

2. Open up Renoise & install script.

3. Go to Tools Tab / Scripting Terminal & Editor, search for the particular tool in the tool tree on the left, double click on ‘manifest.xml’ to open it.

4. Change the line containing ‘Apiversion’ from whatever it is after install, to 4

5. Press execute in the bottom right corner of the lua editor so it saves changes

6. Open tool and make automations :slight_smile:

edit; are you sure Renoise doesn’t auto-update this tool correctly?

edit;

unofficial fix seems to work in 3,1 as well, but you need to change the apiversion to 5 instead of 4!

Would it be possible for you to hack this tool, create a new version that would work in Renoise’s Instrument editor- modulation tab for the envelope device??

It should be possible, unfortunately I don’t have much time right now to work on my tools.

If you ever find time, please consider it again :slight_smile:

@Djeroek: I completely forgot about this idea. My priority is to update my existing tools, and finish an unreleased one that I started a long time ago. This is still a good idea though, especially now that Redux is here.

As for the updates, here’s (finally) the official fix to support the new versions of Renoise:

for Renoise 3.0:

6063 org.drakmaniso.Automasher_Rns300_V6.3.xrnx

for Renoise 3.1:

6064 org.drakmaniso.Automasher_Rns310_V6.4.xrnx

I would love to do that, but currently there is no way to access the automation frame selection from the lua API. Maybe in a future Renoise version…

Is that still true?