New Tool (2.8): Guru

But I think this GURU tool is almost abandoned now and we cannot expect kindly support anymore (no offence at all though. I thank for the original development by Cornbeast). I’m also not a coder so I cannot help much here.

Still if you want to use Guru, simply you need many try & error by yourselves and don’t expect too much functionally.
It’s actually no automation and no bidirectional.
But it still should work fine as useful sound editing panels for HW synths. :slight_smile:

It would be great to continue development on this Tool as I feel the nice to haves like Patch dump and Bi-directional sliders updating could be bolted on fairly easily. I say ‘fairly easily’ with a pinch of salt as I have limited experience with the Lua code behind this, but I am a developer by day, and it seems that the core functionality is solid and well thought out… It’s just a time issue for me currently, but I’d be willing to have a go one day.

The alternative to this tool as far as I can see is Ctrlr, which works, although I can’t seem to use it properly in conjunction with Renoise’s latency correction, though maybe that’s just me!

Some DX7 patches don’t work in Dexed, but most do. Does sending patches to the Volca from Dexed work? (Dexed can act as a DX7 patch editor). I don’t have a Volca FM yet but have been eyeing it lately, would be good to know if Guru works with it first… I have a feeling it can’t do “real-time” patch editing via DX7 sysex parameters, it can probably only receive and interpret already-made DX7 banks/patches in SYX format. Need to look into that more.

Edit: yeah, here’s a good lead: http://www.korgforums.com/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=103679&sid=e3572991a4e6b02b469801540f2a3771

Second post in the thread says the Volca FM can’t do real-time sysex editing, only receive complete patches or banks, unfortunately :frowning: Still getting one, though. :slight_smile:

It does but you have to turn off any midi input from your daw so it is free for dexed
and almost every patch has very low volume so it has to be tweaked.

I am looking some renoise solution because ableton has great max patch editor and i dont have money for ableton right now :]

​One of my groups is bugging for awhile.

​I’m trying to send a sysex command by using an items object as a button to activate the mode select of a SD-20, however it just returns a Midi CC command instead of a sysex. (ex: Ch1, CC=0, Value = 0)

​
local group_Mode = Group{
 name = "Sound Generator Mode",
 Parameter{
 id = "nativeMode",
 name = "",
 sysex_message_template = {0xF0, 0x41, 0x10, 0x00, 0x48, 0x12, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, "nn", "vv", 0xF7},
 number = 0,
 items = {"Native"},
 item_values = {0x00},
 }
}

MORE GURU!!!

I’m doing a DX100 editor in guru …or has there been one already??

I’ve finished the DX100 editor…! I wonder if there is any way of making an GURU ultra pack with all the latest vesrions of editors?

ALSO! I added a feature to ask the synth for a DUMP REQUEST, meaning that it will tell the synth to send the voice by SYSEX - so patches can be recorded in MIDI OX (or similar) and loaded onto the DX100 itself.

• It would be great to get some more development on this as it was difficult to program nicely in Guru…see what you think!

demo video of DX100 editor

1 Like

I recently bought a Dave Smith Instruments Rev2, which is a souped up version of the Prophet 08. After fiddling about a bit with the 4 channel Gated Sequencer and seeing that it was not the most fluid thing to program, I wondered if a Guru definition might be able to do the trick.

It was easy to program but it took a while to figure out how to get the fourth column in as Cornbeast built into Guru a fixed width of 3 columns. As such this will not work unless you modify Guru’s own code to allow for the extra width. I can’t say it won’t work as a 3 column version, but certainly not all 4.

If there’s anybody out there wanting to try this I can try and point to all the things I changed, or it may be easier to post my modded Guru files?

All I can say is after a few minutes playing with this I was very inspired!

Here’s the Guru definition:7550 rev2 gated seq.lua

Some DX7 patches don’t work in Dexed, but most do. Does sending patches to the Volca from Dexed work? (Dexed can act as a DX7 patch editor). I don’t have a Volca FM yet but have been eyeing it lately, would be good to know if Guru works with it first… I have a feeling it can’t do “real-time” patch editing via DX7 sysex parameters, it can probably only receive and interpret already-made DX7 banks/patches in SYX format. Need to look into that more.

Edit: yeah, here’s a good lead: http://www.korgforums.com/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=103679&sid=e3572991a4e6b02b469801540f2a3771

Second post in the thread says the Volca FM can’t do real-time sysex editing, only receive complete patches or banks, unfortunately :frowning: Still getting one, though. :slight_smile:

So Guru should send “patch” when you move by anything.
Should this be done on Guru or definition level?

Does this tool work with 3.1 ???

Does this tool work with 3.1 ???

yeah

I’ve long been an advocate of guru - see all the patches ive made! I always saw it as a possible selling point for renoise over many other daws, saving hardware presets and the potential to automate them

would love to see more support for this tool

I would be very pleased if someone can help me to make a working CASIO CZ-1 template in Guru.
I already prepared an empty template in 3 sections within the scripting terminal editor (see screenshots and the LUA file in the attachment).

I’m no programmer so the script may be a little bit buggy.
Of course the hard part to put the right formulas in the right section has still to be made.

Here I’ve found some helpful hints for the midi specs:
https://goo.gl/K1is4f
https://goo.gl/nQ6mSe

Update: In the meantime, I’ve found out how to communicate with the CZ-1. I tried many combinations but always got some weird result. But II think the synth definition will look like this:

sysex_message_template = {0xF0, 0x44, 0x00, 0x00, 0x70, 0x30, "nn", "vv", 0xF7},

Any recommendations and help would be appreciated! :dribble:

!!!Pls add tampltes for yamaha fs1r and dx100!!! Thnx!!!

i added the dx100

1 Like

Thnx! Good news!

Thanks to everyone involved in this tool, so so useful! :smiley:

Was watching this video from midi error ; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZqIWkCW6ZNY(Great channel BTW) and noticed the extra ‘effects’ tab on the TX81Z editor. Is this a newer version and if so how could i try it out.

Can somebody give me some article about SYSEX implementation (in LUA possibly)?
I would love to change DX7 Guru to FM Volca editor by sending whole sysex code (different implementation than Yamaha) likehttps://synthmata.com/volca-fm/ does.

Another question: can you use Guru and midi output to the same instrument together? I cant with Dexed for example. Thanks.

Thanks to everyone involved in this tool, so so useful! :smiley:

Was watching this video from midi error ; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZqIWkCW6ZNY(Great channel BTW) and noticed the extra ‘effects’ tab on the TX81Z editor. Is this a newer version and if so how could i try it out.

Interesting you pointed that out

There were 2 TX81Z patches made - one of them (this one) by me.

But like you, I couldnt find it - so i scoured ye olde hard drive and found it. Will upload later.

Downloads section does not allow .lua files so its a bit of a workaround

Can somebody give me some article about SYSEX implementation (in LUA possibly)?
I would love to change DX7 Guru to FM Volca editor by sending whole sysex code (different implementation than Yamaha) likehttps://synthmata.com/volca-fm/ does.

Another question: can you use Guru and midi output to the same instrument together? I cant with Dexed for example. Thanks.

Is there a chart of what data the volca fm receives? if so i can help you.You could also try using midi ox and twiddling some things on that page to see what its spitting out

and yes, you can output midi on the guru channel - as i see it guru just “hangs around” in the renoise session, sometimes disappearing sometimes staying there all the time…and not able to follow instructions very well (automation)

its essentially a teenager

Interesting you pointed that out

There were 2 TX81Z patches made - one of them (this one) by me.

But like you, I couldnt find it - so i scoured ye olde hard drive and found it. Will upload later.

Downloads section does not allow .lua files so its a bit of a workaround

Thanks for scouring ye olde hard drive midi error :smiley: Much appreciated!

Great interview with Mylar Melodies on your podcast-soundcloud-thingamajob.