New Tool (2.8): Guru

Wow Cornbeast!? Havent seen you on here for years! I think I saw you mentioned as a “prominent chiptune artist” on some LSDJ page…is that you??

Haha, yeah that’s me. I used to do a lot of Gameboy music and I arranged a great chip-oriented club in Stockholm.

Still so fun people seem to have use for an old script I wrote 8 years ago :slight_smile:

2 Likes

It most definitely should be native.I can’t believe this has not been integrated yet

4 Likes

Wow!! Nice man, I thoguht it must be you! I really loved Stockholm when I went.

Guru is superb and could DEFINIETLY be a selling point for Renoise. I said it 8 years ago and I’ll SAY IT AGAIN!!!

Yeah irs a massiv selling point for the nerds with gear from 1996

1 Like

Hello, just starting out with coding myself a GURU definition for a Yamaha REV100 digital reverb. I want to make a slider or control to send a Program Change (so one can browse through the effect presets).

Is that possible? The documentation on the “SynthDefinition” only describes types “cc” (control change), “sysex” and “nrpn”… Hope someone can help me out.

I’m making an Access Virus C definition if you’re still interested. So far, I’ve done the oscillators, mixer, filters, envelopes, edit menu and FX. Still have to do the arp, LFOs/mod matrix, multi and system functionality.

1 Like

Absolutely

OK. I’ll let you know when I’ve finished it. I spent the night coding, I’ve done the Delay and Reverb, the Arp and I’m half way through doing the LFOs and Mod Matrix. After that, I only have to do the Multi and System stuff and maybe a few miscellaneous things. I’m testing after adding every parameter, so it shouldn’t be too buggy.

1 Like

That is amazing dude,looking forward to trying it out

This is a patch for the Jomox airbase99. My only way to interact with this box, as I burned its encoder trying to replace it (that’s why you should prefer lua over a soldering iron).

You know what to do.

2 Likes

Replace the files found here : adding prog_changes · GitHub in your guru folder. (use the version 1.7, from the google code repo above in this thread)

Use type = “pc” in you synth definition.

BEAR IN MIND/WARNING ! Despite this code is following the standard (it’s working like “instr MIDI Control”, which should be good enough), this might not be how your instrument is actually working if it’s “modern”.

1 Like

Thank you! Gonna give it a try.

I started up Renoise 3.3.2 today as I remembered that I still haven’t finished my Virus definition and I found that most of my tools are broken, including Guru. They worked last time, so i don’t know why everything is now broken. It seems to be a problem with all the require paths:

main.lua:32: module ‘utils’ not found:
no field package.preload[‘utils’]
no file ‘C:\Users…\AppData\Roaming\Renoise\V3.2.2\Scripts\Libraries\utils.lua’
no file ‘C:\Program Files\Renoise 3.2.2\Resources\Scripts\Libraries\utils.lua’
no file ‘.\utils.dll’
no file ‘C:\Program Files\Renoise 3.2.2\utils.dll’
no file ‘C:\Program Files\Renoise 3.2.2\loadall.dll’
no file ‘C:\Users…\AppData\Roaming\Renoise\V3.2.2\Scripts\Libraries\utils.dll’
no file ‘C:\Program Files\Renoise 3.2.2\Resources\Scripts\Libraries\utils.dll’
stack traceback:
[C]: in function ‘require’
main.lua:32: in main chunk

All the lua files in the require section are in the same folder as main.lua file in the \Scripts\Tools\com.cornbeast.Guru.xrnx folder but for some reason it can’t see them. I don’t know why it’s looking for them in different places.

1 Like

Hey thanks for posting about this problem. I was looking for a tool just like Guru and your problem report helped me discover it.

Unfortunately or fortunately I did not have the same problem as you and it installed fine.

Does it fail at some other point past install? If it fails early then try a new install of Renoise and install the tool again.

I do have other tools installed. Maybe a hidden dependency is being satisfied elsewhere.

I started using renoise with 3.3.2 so I don’t have a big background on this , but the error message complain about file in renoise 3.2.2 being missing … so something look off there, try to reinstall the tool as norm said

Not the prettiest layout, but my first stab at nailing something down for my Roland SH-32 (and any sort of coding). This is just using CC values as I’m having some difficulty trying to wrap my head around implementing SysEx changes. Would anyone be able to point me in the right direction? I found the midi implementation chart on Roland’s website, but not sure how to translate it into a tool like Guru!
SH-32_MI.pdf (276.8 KB)

Edit: Here’s my current beta synth definition. I cannot get the objects that require switching (filter type, LFO waveforms) to work at all.
roland_sh32.lua (11.4 KB)
There’s more detail in the offset addresses in the midi implementation chart that might make it behave properly?

2 Likes

I use this all the time with my TX802, been using it for several years now – just wanted to say wassup and thanks

Yo!

Amazing to see that code I haven’t touched in over 10 years still works and means so much to people! Thanks for the shout outs!

Keep ok tracking!

CB :heart:

3 Likes

Awesome, you made my day :slight_smile:

1 Like