New Tool (2.8): Guru

Cool

Yeah, window is fixed size, the boxes fill the columns and are moved to the next column when don’t fit.

That’s how I solved it. But any feedback is appreciated if you have a suggestion for how I could solve it.

I can make the window a bit higher, that would make things better for you, but I guess there will allways be cases when you don’t get the exact layout you want. That’s the price of simplicity.

Another option would be to add ability to specify height in the synth definition.

CB

+1

really like the look of this tool (and also want to +1 this thread). Will be attempting a Korg DW8000 definition…

Thanks! Cool.

A new release on the way, maybe tonight, with among other things possibility to specify the height, and a dropdown gui element for parameters with many items.

New version: V0.16!

• Entering letters to value boxes no longer cause errors
  • Dropped support for JX-10 since it seems to lack support for editing of parameters via sysex
  • Implemented gui_type = “dropdown”
  • Improved MKS-70 and JX-8P definition, added patch section (still under construction)
  • Iproved Juno patch with dropdowns
  • Implemented parameter.min_value (needed for mks-70 def)
  • Updated documentation

Hey CB!

Really love what you have put into improving this tool. Great work!

About the jx-10, there is an unofficial firmware upgrade to it that will add sysex support:
http://www.colinfraser.com/jx10/jx.htm

Gonna test the new Guru version now.
Keep up the great work!

Thanks! :slight_smile:

Yeah I saw that, but you know, I don’t own one, and I don’t want to be the JX-10 support hotline, so I won’t claim to support it :slight_smile:

custom size would be awesome, right.

Latest version has custom height

Here’s my Korg DW8000 definition:

Cornbeast has done some really good work with this software, once I’d worked out that every line needed a comma at the end of it, the whole thing became really easy to do. I’d suggest using his idea of local groups, I followed the alpha juno 1 mks50 definition, and edited it as necessary, and then with the list of local groups you can reorder the sections really easily.

Editing the Korg from directly within Renoise = dream come true!

Thanks Cornbeast!

Niice! :smiley:

n00b question, don’t use hardware myself so can’t test, but do these gui’s also distribute the parameters to the automation editor?

Does pressing ctrl+m light up the tool gui sliders etc, so you can map stuff to other controllers?

Nice one Dan P!

I have the rack version, the Ex-8000. I had to change the second sysex_message_start from 0x31 to 0x30. The manual did not tell me right away why that was needed…
Works great anyhow.

All params support midi mapping (thats ctrl m right?)

I dont know about automation, have not looked into it, but if it’s possible to do with scripting that is the intention for sure (can someone shed light on this?)

CB

Cornbeast,
Any chance of being able to download a patch direct from the synth, and/or have the Guru gui snap to the current values rather than everything being zeroed?
Thanks again

I believe loading patches from the synth is only possible if the synth has some kind of dump feature, and if it sends some weird sysex I guess the challenge would be to translate it to usable parameter values.

Perhaps my suggestion for the Instr. MIDI Control device could be used for editing presets and patches on the synth?

It would work something like this:
When sending a program change to the synth, all parameters would become inactive - greyed out or otherwise indicating this. When a parameter is edited (or automated) it would become active again.

So when you load a song, the synth would load the correct patch, and Guru would update only the parameters that you edited.

Flipping through factory presets and editing them instead of creating sounds from scratch is a nice and quick method IMO.

That’s good!! I think the change in sysex refers to a different device ID

whA!!!#%!%#! ?T#?%?#%? you even took the time to do that??? you’re a hero!!!

Ok… looks like the latest version of my DSI Tetra synth definition was overwritten/deleted when I updated Guru. Would be nice if it wasn’t, but now I know and will hopefully remember to back up my definitions the next time. Perhaps include a reminder to back up somewhere, like next to the download link or something?

Oh shit, noo, I’ve been wondering if renoise deletes old stuff or not when updating tools, but now it’s clear it does. Sorry, didn’t even know that…