New Tool (2.8): Guru

No problem, it’s not a whole lot to rewrite. But a warning might be appropriate.

Also, I was wondering about automation… Would it be possible to automate Guru parameters somehow? Or will we still have to add Inst. MIDI Control device manually, only to be restricted to CC?

Another thing I was wondering… What if you have more than one synth, connected to different MIDI out ports?

I honestly don’t know :slight_smile: I would of course like to have automation and other cool Renoise integration, but I don’t know if there is support for this with the tools…

Right now, you can select different midi channels for each synth. You can even start up more than one window of a synth and let them go in different midi channels.

I have thought that maybe you want to select a different midi device for each synth, is that what you want, I can do that.

Yeah, I was thinking about this, and realized I’d need a device on a track before I could automate anything. Perhaps it’s possible to create some hack? Duplex (mixer/effects) can control devices, but does it work two ways? If you move a slider on a device, will duplex update? In that case it should be possible to use a “dummy device”. When automated it updates Guru which send values to the synth. I’m guessing the timing wouldn’t be perfect. Could the formula device be of use perhaps?

Otherwise we could campaign for expanded features for the Instr. MIDI Control device.

Hm… it shouldn’t be that hard to do a hack myself using Instr. Automation device and BiduleVSTi… might try that.

That would be great. Otherwise I’d have to do some routing with midiyoke to run two synths that aren’t daisy chained.

Another thing. I have some trouble with my DSI Tetra mapping. Everything seems to work fine, except parameters that go above 127. They work fine as long as I don’t go above 127. After going over 127 it can’t go back to zero anymore. It’s kinda stuck in a high range. And all other parameters are also somehow effected with the same problem.

I can’t be sure where the problem lies, but the definitions looks correct according to the manual.
(page 53: http://www.davesmithinstruments.com/downloads/tetra/doc/Tetra_Manual_v.1.3.pdf)

Parameter {  
 id = "filter_freq",  
 name = "Frequency",  
 type = "nrpn",  
 number = 15,  
 max_value = 164,  
 },  

Yeah, above 127 is what nrpn is for, but I have no such device so I haven’t had the opportunity to test it. But I will look into it and see if midi-ox can help me.

But, I could be this easy: see, I’m only sending high value if the number is above 127, so if we go to 128 and back to 127 maybe tetra still thinks the high value is still there, this would mean it would think the value is 254.

If you want, please try to modify the my script and see if it works better. In the file class_midi.lua at line 43:

http://code.google.com/p/stepbrother/source/browse/trunk/Guru%20xrnx/com.cornbeast.Guru.xrnx/class_midi.lua#43

change:

if (msb_number ~= 0) then self:send({cc_start,99,msb_number}) end  
self:send({cc_start,98,lsb_number})  
if (msb_value ~= 0) then self:send({cc_start,6,msb_value}) end  
self:send({cc_start,38,lsb_value})  

to:

self:send({cc_start,99,msb_number})  
self:send({cc_start,98,lsb_number})  
self:send({cc_start,6,msb_value})  
self:send({cc_start,38,lsb_value})  

CB

Great! That seems to take care of the problem. :walkman:

Attached is a init patch for the alpha juno.

Cheers!

First basic version of the DSI Tetra definition.

Yet to be added:

• LFO’s
  • Envelope 3
  • Arpeggiator
  • Sequencers
  • Some global parameters
  • Multi mode

Awesome! This is starting to look like something!

I am slowly but surely doing some progress when I have the time;

I’m rewriting how the patches are handled, all the patches for a synth will be displayed in a dropdown, no more loading/saving files manually. You can save the patch, but Guru takes care of how it’s stored, all you need to do is to point out a root directory for where to store all Guru patches.

Also I’m doing selection of midi device per synth.

Next big things:

• Automatically save current edited patch with song
  • Automation!? Track commands!?
  • Dump patches from synths
  • Fun stuff, like create random patches, morph between two patches etc! :slight_smile:

CB

this tool looks totally awesome. i might have to do a simplified sammichSID editor in this. there’s a ctrlr editor floating about but it’s buggy as hell…

still working on the Novation drumstation and the next is E-MU XL7

Cool! Just make sure you backup your synth definition files in progress if you update Guru, else they might dissapear!

yes :D i seethat :D once i restart :D

Novation Drumstation Editor.

• some sections are not fit to the limited screen size.

todo: test :D

3274 novation_drumstation.lua
3275 Novation Drumstation.jpg

Can you add an ability to specify height in the synth definition?
maybe auto size? the window can fit to the groups and columns, what do u think?

pathes stored something like patchscript in cubase?
other thing can i set 16midi ch in one screen? for a simple program changer for the EMU Command Station.

Added that before:
Seee documentation

SynthDefinition{  
 content_height = 800  
}  

u are awesome bro!

error

you miss ne “,”
SynthDefinition{
content_height = 800
}

SynthDefinition{
content_height = 800,
}

this is done now,
enjoy.
3276 Guru - Novation Drumstation.jpg
3277 novation_drumstation.lua

[quote=“hotelsinus, post:97, topic:35934”]
this is done now,
enjoy.
3277 novation_drumstation.lua
Great, I add it to the next release!

1 Like

New version 0.17. See link in first post.

May be buggy, you at you own risk. Don’f forget to backup your stuff first!

I rewrote patches and configuration totally.

Added guru working folder, which is a folder you point out where patches and configuration stuff is stored.

Patches are displayed in a dropdown, and there is no load button, only a save button. Guru handles the saving for you in the working folder

Each synth def has it’s own settings dialog for midi device etc

Also: Fixed faulty nrpn and added Korg DW8000 definition supplied by Daniel, and Novation Drumstation definition supplied by Hotelsinus. Realize now I forgot to add the Tetra definition…

You should be able to copy your existing patches into the working folder. Start the synth, press save to save the init patch, then look in the working folder you will find a folder called “patches” and below it a folder named by the synth definition. Copy them there and restart.

CB

uhh hi. could i use guru to send CC to a synth? a mate lent me a DSi Evolver (rack version, or, the small box version) and it has some CC and sysex stuff i could probably control. i could probably be content with just the CC. i have a manual, but i’m pretty clueless about 1) sysex 2) guru 3) sysex+guru.
any help would be really appreciated.