New Tool (2.8): Guru

Yeah, but understanding sucking midi implementations like dx seems to have is almost as hard as programming.

Well, at least the Juno seem easy enough: http://www.vintagesynth.com/roland/sysex.php ;)

Amazing. I was just thinking about doing something like that for my dx200, ctrlr is just too boring and poorly documented.
I guess Iā€™ll have to find some time and make a dx200 definition, a lot of dx200 users will finally switch to renoise as weā€™re trapped with a synth we canā€™t update without a software that is, of course, old and not supported anylonger.

ps: Iā€™ll be soon selling my dx7mkIIā€¦ just need to repair few keys.

Cool, isnt fluence working on a dx7 def, and arent they compatible?

Definition for DX200 - yes please!

Hmmm, seriously thinking about making a patch for my Yamaha A3000 - to be able to use this in a more integrated way would be amazing. Not so keen on all the slow SCSI loading though! Could it support samplers? I also have a TG300 and Rev100 and an Alesis S4+ which could be out to use, particularly now the LCD has completely died in the latter.

Interesting idea. I have also got one, but it is not really in use because of the slow and time-consuming sample loading (related to Renoise/Software) and quite loud fan. It is really a pity because it has great effects and filters.
Hmmā€¦ I think it is worth it to try to use it as effect generator againā€¦

DX7 definition is easily modded to the amount of operator (4 iirc) and the different amount of algorhitms. All other settings should be the same.

It should work. Will post DX7 end of the week.

Great, send me a pm and I can release it with a new version of Guru, with improvements for saving synths and patches with the song.

Actually, yes, butā€¦ there are a bit more to add for the dx200 (dist, effects and such, if youā€™re lazy to use the front panel)

You know the thing when procrastination kicks in? Well, it didnā€™t yet but as Iā€™m on macOS, I had to install winXP via parralels, until I noticed parralels had NO FW SUPPORTā€¦ so Iā€™m going to install it via WineBottler and then, do comparitions with renoise + GURU.
Gotta start tomorrow night I think.

I threw together a bunch of the easy front panel stuff for the DX200 yesterday. I havenā€™t touched the sequencer, Free EG or DX-7 specific stuff yet.

My code is available over on github for anyone who want to check it out.

Edit: note that I havenā€™t given any thought to usability, Iā€™m still just throwing functionality in.

New version! Check first post.

Fixed f****d up bugs introduced in 0.19

Saving synths and patches with songs are now pretty good working. Please try it out!

Donā€™t forget to backup everything before updating!

CB

My DX200 definition now has all six operators.

Plenty of stuff is left unimplemented, and the UI is still horrible. But feel free to play around. You can make some interesting noises now.

Cool. Iā€™ve been thinking lately to add something to the definitions that states they are ā€œbetaā€.

Either a version number, so Guru can say ā€œhey, the patch you are loading is saved with a previous version of the synth def, which may cause strange behaviourā€, and if version < 0 then itā€™s considered beta.

Or just a flag saying beta=true so guru can say ā€œhey, this definition is in beta, so youā€™re experimenting right now, awkay?ā€.

Any opinions?

dope, gotta check this TONIGHT (yes, yesā€¦)

Iā€™m not sure it is really necessary. I started out with a version number in the title, but ended up dropping it when I realized that most of my changes were backwards compatible but I was losing my test preset. Instead of dropping the version number, I should have gone to a major/minor version. Major version goes in the title, but only gets incremented when a change breaks the presets. Major and minor versions would go into a comment.

Iā€™d prioritize knobs and automation support over explicit version support.

Youā€™re right.

About automation and stuff, afaik this is not possible. And itā€™s not really possible for the tools to do real-time stuff at all.

But, It should be possible to read effect commands with not super accurate timing, so it should be possible to act on a new command each line. Still not sure about how etcā€¦

Things Iā€™m aiming at now is:

• Making the first official version of the tool
  • Dumping patches from the synths to Guru
  • Better functionality for hanling, sorting, hiding, cathegorizing patches
  • Sharing patches online. Upload/download directly in Guru?
  • Read pattern effect commands
  • Fun stuff, like creating random patches, creating patches that are morph between two patches etc

Yeah, thatā€™s definitely one idea that would be worth trying out and making controllable in this.

In the most ideal world I could possibly imagine, S-MIDI transfers of samples saved within the song would be the most contained solution for older samplers. SCSI II hardware must be on its way out now, and I got a few clicks and pops in certain samples I loaded back. I do have a few ZIP drives and tons of disks I used to use, but itā€™s all a bit cumbersome.

I think the noise is probably coming from your hard drive by the way, Cie :)

Hmmm, can you add image support?
If I remember correctly, one can insert images in tools, am I right? Coz that would be definitely useful for FM synthesis, where you have to choose an algorhythmā€¦ and a very bad memory.

• EDIT: my idea would be about simply swapping images on callback or a fader/select change

I managed to kill my DX7 (audio was broken and replaced PCB but itā€™s still broken, and my definition was untested all this time)

So I can not test my definition, anybody wants to give it a shot? Iā€™ll wait for a nice DX7 offer on ebay :)

I have attached it to this postā€¦the operator ON/OFF code is not in there yet, the buttons are there but not working!