New Tool (2.8): Guru

I made a quick and dirty synth definition for my tx81z:

all parameters seem to work, it was a pain to get them right because yamaha swapped all op2 and op3 sysex in the manual :wacko:
let me know if something is not working. it should be fairly easy adaptable to other 4-op fm synths (i don’t have a dx-9)

i’m thinking of making a definition for my yamaha fs1r and TG-77 but the parameter count is HUGE on those. it would be cool to have graphic envelopes for fm-synths B)

guru is great, it made me buy an alpha-juno1 :yeah:

edit: minor tweaks

Haha cool, yeah it actually made me buy an Alpha Juno as well :slight_smile:

New version 1.1, new synth definitions: Roland Juno 106, Yamaha DX7, Yamaha TX81Z!

http://www.renoise.com/tools/guru

:yeah: thanks for helping me out Cornbeast!

No prob. Thanks for contributing!

Btw, I have created a user manual:

Guru User Manual

New version, 1.2:

Implemented RANDOMIZE button!

Every parameter is randomzied for instant cosmic weirdness!

New version, 1.3:

Added ability to specify delay between midi messages for synths with midi buffer/speed problems (SynthDefinition.delay_between_midi_messages). Implemented the delay for TX81Z definition.

Great! Now I can make a definition for the C64 Mssiah cart.

1 Like

Wow!

I cannot believe it, I’ve combed through the internet and was unable to find a functional linux-compatible editor - and for that matter, here it is, as a Renoise tool! :w00t:

My newly acquired TX7 is in the mail, as soon as it arrives I will test how it works with Guru and give praise once more!! :yeah:
Or contribute, if needed ;)

I have to read the whole thread to see how the support for Tetr4 is - I’ve been working like mad to create a PureData based editor - and again, here it was :rolleyes:
Will test it as soon as I get home

Great idea the Guru tool, big thanks for making the effort to write it!!!

Cheers to all,

Vasja

Thanks!

Cool, tetra will mean much effort, hope you can push trough :slight_smile:

I have some troubles with my synth definition (Mutable Instruments Shruthi-1): some parameters need negative NRPN values (modulation matrix) and this is how they are managed according to the manual :

How can I do that in Guru (the data entry MSB thing) ?

Thanks

Haha, damn I hate MIDI implementations!

I’ll try to look at it.

Cb

Well, it works when I use :

So, I get -63 to +63 on the Shruthi, with default_value setting the modulation amount to 0.
But of course, in Guru, the slider displays values 193 to 319.

Maybe this method could be used?: Automating Non-Automatable Renoise Features

And for stuff where timing is important one would use the Instr MIDI Control device (maybe it could also be linked to Guru somehow?).

The tools are not running in a real-time thread, so you won’t get far when you need exact time critical responses.
If you can live with some inconsistencies, you could try that method.

hej cornbeast, forum, renoise,
(first post here :) woohoo!)
i just found a JX-8P in the trash (yes: insane) and i am really thrilled of the possibility of tracking this synth with renoise. but i am having trouble getting guru to work. since i just found the synth i am quite new to that too, so i am not ruling out that i am doing something wrong on that end. i am receiving MIDI notes from renoise just fine. but there is no reaction/changes in sound when i tweak parameters in guru…?
am i missing something really obvious here?
/j

Goddamn! Good for you

You must edit the settings for the synth in guru to set midi channel and midi out device, then it should work

Cb

Yes, I figure it would be nice to be able to automate some of the parameters that aren’t accessible through MIDI CC, even with poor timing.

hm… i did that, but still i get no reaction on the synth end…? and i think i put in the right MIDI channel. as the JX-8P plays MIDI notes that i send on this channel (1) just fine. also the synth changes settings when i change program in the renoise ext midi instrument setting, but nothing happens when i tweak parameters in guru…? should the JX-8P be in some special edit mode or something?

I did not have to make any setting in my jx8p, it has just worked straight off, but then a previous owner could have changed and stored some setting. Maybe you should check the manual.

Cb