New Tool (2.8): Mpe

sadly this hasnt been updated to 3.1 and the port linked above didnt work for me (thanks anyway 4tey!)

Well, this isn’t my tool, it really is up to the original programmer if he/she wants to update it. It was just a quick port in the hope that functionality would port over without having to reverse engineer and fix code. My quick advice to the original programmer is to use constants like:

renoise.ApplicationWindow.MIDDLE_FRAME_INSTRUMENT_SAMPLE_KEYZONES
renoise.ApplicationWindow.MIDDLE_FRAME_INSTRUMENT_SAMPLE_EDITOR

rather than hardwiring the numbers directly (like it is at the moment). And to also look at things like:

renoise.tool():add_midi_mapping{
name = "MPE:Sample:Pan",
invoke = function(message)
  if (message.int_value >= 49 or message.int_value <= 0 )then handle_error = true else
  vb.views.smppan.value = math.floor(message.int_value)/50
  end
  end
}

to do that better.

Thanks for the replies and input, really appreciate it. I should have mentioned I’m running 4Tey’s 3.1 patch above in a 64 bit install. I may try it in 2.8/3.0 just to see how it goes… will report back if I do.

Hopefully enough other folks chime in to get this updated for 3.1! It sounds like an awesome tool and I’d love to have the functionality with a midi controller. I don’t know how big of a job it would be to update it, but it seems to have gained quite a following while it was being developed so I’m sure others would appreciate the work. I know I’d throw some funds at it if that was any incentive.

Cheers

MPE is & always was one of the best #toolz around; making ur #renoise a full blown Matrix - MPC.

1 Like

I have posted the source code to github - it may be time to revisit this project ?

So does it work now for 3.1 or not?

2 Likes

I tried it and it says it is incompatible. I really want something like that cause slicing one by one with the mouse is a complete waste to time :pensive:

Hey @dathin sorry to hear its been a long time since I created it and put the code base on github. A lot has changed in renoise since it was created and I would need to revisit the code to update it. I would need time to update it and have not had enough time to juggle my work and personal life too, but if people are genuinely still interested I will try and make time. Anyone who would like to contribute is also welcome.

The fun part about using the tool was midi mapping everything too and having very quick access to everything via knobs and sliders. Let me know what you think…

1 Like

Of course, I understand. It is a free open source tool so that is how it goes :slightly_smiling_face: I had an MPC myself but found it a bit limited in some aspects and was not happy with the sound quality so I am looking for something different. Renoise looks amazing but I want to have a workflow that is not mouse/keyboard centered.

1 Like

Please update it <3 Thanks, you are awesome!