New Tool (2.8): Pking

Hey,

Thanks for the kind words.

Apart from the bug fixes, pKing 2 has a lot of new features which I’m sure you’ll enjoy.

However, there is currently no modification of sample envelopes at this time, as I have tried various implementations and have not found one that ‘feels right’ and is comfortable to use so far.

Hopefully all the other 100 or so features will make up for it ;) :P

Once I’ve written a sensible manual I’ll be posting it on the tools pages.

pKing 2.0 is now available!

Download the tool and extensive manual from the pKing tools page.

“composing becomes a pleasure”

mxb for president :yeah: :lol: :yeah:

Sound awesome!
I tried to look it up in the manual, but could not find an answer to these questions:

1. Can I layer two, let’s say Kicks, by assigning two samples to the same pad?
  2. Can I layer two, let’s say Kicks, by choosing both and resampling them into one sample?

pKing only presents a different interface to the native Renoise features, so both of these are possible. However, #2 cannott be performed directly from the controller.

To perform #1 from the controller, load two kick samples into the same instrument. Enter instrument edit mode and perform ‘Generate drum kit’. Then select the second sample and use the sample mapping note edit prompt to shift it to overlap with the other sample mapping. Then they will both play at the same time.

Hope this helps!

Thanks for the answer. I see, so this is the same as setting two samples for the same note in the instrument settings in Renoise. That also means that only one note will be recorded, right? Is it also possible to have one pad trigger two notes? This would be a killer feature! Layering is basically my biggest problem with Renoise at the moment. It just doesn’t work properly with a controller.

Not quite, or I don’t understand.

You cannot have two samples within the sample sample slot in a Renoise instrument, however, you can have two sample mappings which overlap. Sample mappings specify a range of notes and velocitys within which a sample will trigger.

You can read more about sample mappings (sample keyzones in the Renoise manual) here.

Essentially you want two mappings / keyzones to overlap for at least a single note. When this note is triggered, Renoise will look at all the sample mappings for that note and play all those samples. This is how you can trigger multiple samples within a single instrument from a single note in the pattern editor.

It is not possible to set a pad to trigger two different midi notes at the same time.

I hope this helps, and I would advice you to experiment with the Sample Keyzones main frame view and the features within. Further questions regarding layering of samples may be better suited to a new thread to gain more exposure to people who may be able to assist you.

Thanks again. Yes I was talking about overlapping sample keyzones. The problem there is that you cannot set different envelopes for the two samples, nor can you add different effects to each of them.
That said, how do you layer your drums in Renoise, and especially in PKing? Prepare all samples with render selection to sample and then just use these? I am curious to hear you about your workflow. And now I will probably order one of these PadKontrols :slight_smile:

My personal workflow is as follows:

Done.

I don’t use the instrument envelopes much for drums.

Hope this helps

I see. Maybe I am just a bit over concerned. Layering drums without touching their envelope is probably good enough. Thanks for your explanation.

P.S.: I just ordered a PadKontrok today, so soon you will have more testers :wink:

got my pad kontrol today , its smaller than I thought wow! and now for some experimenting with pking! Thanks mxb!

What about a QuNeo port of this? ;)

got my padkontrol , I dont know what Im doing wrong but I cant get the pads to trigger midi notes on the KORG padkontrol using pking duck? The pads send midi notes ok when pking isnt started?
Im on a mac running renoise 64bit 2.8.1 and OSX 10.7.4

This is in the manual on page 4 ;)

When pKing is running is remaps the pads and X-Y pad to send note/CC data on port B rather than the default of port A.

Selecting ‘padKONTROL (PORT B )’ in Renoise midi inputs should fix it for when pKing is running.

Hope this helps.

New video!

I recreated the “Catacombs” beat linked from this thread.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=extjYnKn5DQ

Well, you have to at least touch it once to enable the envelope, right? Otherwise it is pretty useless for drums, since it sends a note off when the pad is released.

Anyway, I received my PadKontrol today!

Here are some bugs I found:

1. INS mode: Selecting Instruments (Instrument selection prompt) will show “S01” in the display (the default for the PadKontrol, Scene1). It will not show the selected instrument! It tries to do so, as you can very briefly see the instrument number flashing in the display, but “S01” will always overwrite it immediately.
  2. SEQ mode: As I understood, the second, third and fourth pad rows are supposed to show if there are patterns in the sequence or not (after the currently selected one). They are supposed to light up constantly when there is a pattern. However, this does not always work. Depending on the speed with which you turn the wheel to go through the sequence, pads will not light up, or, when supposed to go off, won’t go off.
  3. Going to SEQ, INS an SAM mode will note show this in the display, as the manual says (no big deal, though)
  4. I made Pking crash when in Sample edit mode somehow. Cannot reproduce it anymore, but remember that it was caused by pressing Pedal or Prog Change at some point (maybe in some submodes). Maybe with an empty sample slot. Sorry, not sure anymore. I will try to reproduce it.

Hope this helps.

I just played two hours with it, it’s impressive how it resurrected my padkontrol! I ll hunt bugs next time!

True, you need to turn on the volume envelope at the start. I generally have a single point at maximum volume, sustain set to off and play with the release amount.

Thanks for reporting the bugs. In order:

Interesting, if you can reproduce, please give detailed steps.

Thanks again!

Glad you liked it, hopefully there are not too many bugs.

Videos are still welcome ;)

Just had a play with this and have to say its an amazing piece of coding you have done here, I’m having loads of fun with it. Thanks a lot for making it, who needs MPC’s eh ;)

Here is a video demonstrating the second bug:

I am still trying to reproduce the last one :slight_smile: