New Tool (2.8) - Resynth 4

looks like it was a one-time error… couldn’t replicate the situation nor the resetting of parameters…

have had a lot of fun working with resynth tonight :
http://soundcloud.com/endonyx/resynth-test/s-BkRC9

installed, modified the old resynth2 so that it’s still working side-by-side, here’s my report:

• supersaw doesn’t work at all at the moment. gonna look into it but it’s not working because it does not create mappings for the extra saw waves. sometimes it does create some, and just sets their volume to -INF. :) also I think that the extra waveforms should not be called VA4… maybe something that makes it more obvious that they belong to the first osc that’s set to supersaw mode (so that they can be deleted more easily when switching mode to another)
    feature request:
  • pitch envelope
  • all filter types available :)
  • fm synth: explanations for the 3x2 matrix of params per op… :)

mxb, i think i’m gonna adapt this baby dude. :D

here’s my first demo (so all things not drums are from resynth)

http://soundcloud.com/cm2/optimus-prime

better yet, the kick and half the snare is resynth too.

Beta 2 released (attached to the first post in the thread)

Changes are:

• Fixed bug with exchanged LFO values
  • Fixed bug with forgetting FM oscillator settings
  • Fixed various FM oscillator bugs
  • Added extra checkbox for arpeggiator to enable/disable pitch envelope modifications
  • Added ‘view sample’ on change function (if sample editor is already visible)
  • Built in envelope reference diagram (via ‘envelope help’ button)
  • Extra menu option (insert new ReSynth instrument)
  • Menu items in instrument list
  • Keybindings (in Global -> ReSynth)

Enjoy.

Cool! Playing around with the latest beta, tweaking values, pressing ‘user’ for the second oscillator gave me:

Clicking on ‘fm’ for the second oscillator:

Pressing ‘VA’:

Huh, I fixed this bug once. :huh:

Please download beta 2b from the 1st post and try again.

mxb, taktik:

Please have a look at this video, it shows that there is a huge lag in Renoise’s responsiveness if I realtime-modulate parameters of Resynth. The longer I modulate the longer the lag will be afterwards. Seems to me a serious bug, but is this a problem of Reonise internally or a problem in the script of Resynth?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i5G2FYOsaRo&feature=youtu.be

Also, maybe this explains the suggestion “reserve waves” a bit:

was playing with the arpeggiator. clicked the first button and:

‘C:\Documents and Settings\tom\Application Data\Renoise\V2.8.0\Scripts\Tools\com.mxb.ReSynth.xrnx\main.lua’ failed in one of its notifiers.

Please contact the author (Martin Bealby | mxb (mbealby@gmail.com)) for assistance…

.\Arpeggiator/Arpeggiator.lua:297: attempt to perform arithmetic on field ‘?’ (a nil value)
stack traceback:
.\Arpeggiator/Arpeggiator.lua:297: in function ‘GetCurrentNote’
.\Arpeggiator/Arpeggiator.lua:412: in function ‘SelectStep’
.\Arpeggiator/Arpeggiator.lua:97: in function <.\Arpeggiator/Arpeggiator.lua:96>

Clicked the “apply arp to pitch” checkbox:

‘C:\Documents and Settings\tom\Application Data\Renoise\V2.8.0\Scripts\Tools\com.mxb.ReSynth.xrnx\main.lua’ failed in one of its notifiers.

Please contact the author (Martin Bealby | mxb (mbealby@gmail.com)) for assistance…

No matching overload found, candidates:
void add_point_at(InstrumentEnvelope&,custom [double],custom [double])
stack traceback:
[C]: in function ‘add_point_at’
.\Arpeggiator/Arpeggiator.lua:488: in function ‘Apply’
.\Arpeggiator/Arpeggiator.lua:375: in function ‘SetApplyPitch’
.\Arpeggiator/Arpeggiator.lua:167: in function <.\Arpeggiator/Arpeggiator.lua:166>

What kind of system are you running, OS, cpu/ram specs etc? Also, I think the ‘Master Spectrum’ view eats away cpu resources on certain settings, do things improve when you have the top view on something else?

ReSynth4 beta 3 released.

The programmable arpeggiator has been fixed in beta 3. Thanks for the bug report

I can replicate this ‘slowness’. The slowness goes away after disabling ‘undo’ functionality in the sample editor.

Note that beta 3 also fixes an issue with the supersaw oscillator which will result in patches made in earlier betas not opening. Read the first post for more information and a workaround to ‘upgrade’ patches.

damn this is really useful. thanks!!

This happens only with Resynth, there is plenty of cpu left.

mxb, this has evolved into a great tool! I’ve finally had time to play with it. Two feature requests:

• 96khz waveforms.
  • Envelope periods longer than 24 - Those of use who like long epic sounds find that 24 just isn’t long enough, and then only way to get it to go slow is to drastically reduce the bpm. Of course you can do some LPB work-arounds, but 24 at your standard 120bmp feels pretty fast to me.

Otherwise, I love it! :)

Edit: sorry LPB doesn’t have any effect at all on the envelope speed. Longer envelopes would be fabulous!

+1 for longer envelopes. I really miss this for long pads etc.

The waveforms will remain at 44khz for this release. I’ll see if I can optimize some things and increase the frequency again in a point release at a later date.

I have increased all time parameters on the envelopes to 48 ticks. This should be plenty and is probably the maximum resolution we can realistically achieve with the small slider size.

I think we are approaching final release soon, so if anyone has any ReSynth4 patches that they would like to share I would like to collect a few examples together and provide as a seperate download from the tools page. Send me links as forum PMs.

Thanks!

+1

maybe something like a scale slider can be introduced? Working on the complete envelope, being able to scale it to the 1000 line limit at max position.

Thanks mxb! Looking forward to the new releases. :)

Is it possible to make load/save preset buttons in the gui? And a random button to generate a sound/preset? And an init button to reset all the settings to the defaults?

I found it got too confusing as you need two ‘sets’ of instrument files - the XRNI and the preset file.

Ultimately, I’ve found the organisation as it is now to work the best as the XRNI has all the data to regenerate / resume editing of an instrument within it. This means that people who have ReSynth tool installed can open it and edit it, while people who don’t can still play it as an instrument.

To reset an instrument to defaults, close any ReSynth dialogs, select the instrument and choose ‘Replace with ReSynth Instrument’. This will replace the current instrument with a default init patch.

Ok mxb, I have a feature request for ReSynth 4.0. I really hope this can be done.

Please could you improve on “Open ReSynth Instrument” so, that if there is no resynth instrument there, it creates a new resynth instrument and then opens it. This would mean that one simple shortcut (for opening ReSynth) would allow for both creating a new resynth, and later on opening it. i could zoom around a song with multiple resynth instruments, and when i please, i could create a new resynth instrument, have the gui open up and continue on trackin’.

p.s. extra bonus: please could you reinstate the show_status on transposition knob switches, so one knows when one has reached -24, -12, +12 or +24. It’s really difficult trying to do it during the playing of a track. The mouse-hover-tooltips used to say the transposition value, but that’s way slower than the gui or show_status having the transposition setting showing directly instead of having to wait for the tooltip to pop up.

Beta 3 has Renoise status bar feedback for all rotarys including tuning and transposing?

I’ll think about the other request.