New Tool (2.8) - Resynth 4

Didn’t get it: When it’s 32bit, when it’s 8bit and when it’s 16 bit?

Feature request: Reverse waveform button

This looks really great, I love the example video. The only problem for me is that I’m having a really hard time getting much of anything in terms of sounds out of it beyond a single basic waveform. I figured that if I messed around with it, I would probably figure it out soon enough. It turns out that I was wrong. Is there any sort of guide to this tool that I am unaware of? If one of you guys could steer me in the right direction, that would be awesome! Thanks!

wiki wiki wicked!!!

Yo. this is crazy
didn’t expect the tool to be improved over the v2
but… how about making it possible to have resynth v4 side to side on a renoise install, so people can beta test without losing their comfy stable v2 or having an extra renoise installation?
because i’m not ready yet to lose the trusty noise generator that we seem to have lost :P (interpolate mode too? ah who cares)
i was thinking of making a “subtool” or sth for this to make the sample editor zoom to the loop by default (or at least have a shortcut for it)
idea: make a switch from VA to user possible, so that resynth won’t change/rerender the sample anymore but only modify the transpose etc parameters. (use: e.g. start with a sine, have slight pwm, drop a shape distortion fx on a track and use the render fx from track button in the sample editor… or start with a supersaw, apply LPFilter or lofimat and exciter)

Sounds like a bug, I’ll look into it.

ReSynth2 generated samples at 33khz with 8 bit resolution. The oscillators in ReSynth4 generate 44khz, 32 bit waveforms.

Can you please clarify what you mean by ‘reverse waveform’? I’m already running out of GUI space.

ReSynth contains four different oscillator ‘slots’ into which different generators can be assigned. These are arranged horizontally along the top of the ReSynth window. Each oscillator has it’s own volume control. If you are only getting one single sample playing, I would imagine the other oscillator have volume set to zero.

Maybe I’ll incorporate ReSynth2 as a legacy component. It is still undecided and there is a lot of code already…

Zooming to the waveform is planned. See the posts by esaruoho above. If the sample editor is already visible, the working sample will be displayed in the final version.

I’ll look into not-blanking the sample when switching to user, but it would get confusing as the gui will show blank, but it will still make a sound.

Thanks for the positive feedback.

Thanks for the tool it’s pretty amazing. I got the following error.

[details=“Click to view contents”] failed to execute in one of its menu entry functions.

std::logic_error: ‘ViewBuilder: invalid value for rotary encoder: ‘57’. value must be [0 - 32].’
stack traceback:
[C]: ?
[C]: in function ‘__newindex’
[string “do…”]:22: in function
.\Envelopes/FilterEnvelope.lua:405: in function <.>

[C]: in function ‘FilterEnvelope’

.\ReSynth.lua:225: in function <.>

[C]: in function ‘ReSynth’

main.lua:75: in function <74>

[/details]

Reopening the GUI seems to cause unusual behaviour, like all the FM settings reset.
Also, repeatedly opening and closing the GUI causes the dials to alternate position. For example, if you change the Depth of the Filter, close the gui and reopen it the Depth will have reset, close and reopen it again and the Depth will be back to where you set it etc. This doesn't seem to happen with some of the other controls.

He means the same thing as a Ctrl+R in sample editor. Would also need my request in some way, so, maybe we can think about a general means together to ‘freeze’ an osc’s sample. (so that it won’t touch the sample anymore, only pitch etc are then modifiable)
Also an idea that just launched here is dupe, duplicate one osc’s settings to another (I know manually one can probably just copy a sample’s name to another one and then reload resynth, but anyway)

i beg you, please don’t do that. What I meant is that RS2 is awesome and I do want to check v4 out and I’ll have to rename the tool just to be able to keep a working RS2 at my side :D

Superb

keep up the good work!

yup i got to that the preset got reset some way after closing the gui… i couldn’t figure out how to reopen the screen again either. when i selected " open resynth" from the tools menu i got an error which i forgot to copy though. but first impression is very good man ! respect for your work so far :)

what if it means inverse waveform?

looks like it was a one-time error… couldn’t replicate the situation nor the resetting of parameters…

have had a lot of fun working with resynth tonight :
http://soundcloud.com/endonyx/resynth-test/s-BkRC9

installed, modified the old resynth2 so that it’s still working side-by-side, here’s my report:

• supersaw doesn’t work at all at the moment. gonna look into it but it’s not working because it does not create mappings for the extra saw waves. sometimes it does create some, and just sets their volume to -INF. :) also I think that the extra waveforms should not be called VA4… maybe something that makes it more obvious that they belong to the first osc that’s set to supersaw mode (so that they can be deleted more easily when switching mode to another)
    feature request:
  • pitch envelope
  • all filter types available :)
  • fm synth: explanations for the 3x2 matrix of params per op… :)

mxb, i think i’m gonna adapt this baby dude. :D

here’s my first demo (so all things not drums are from resynth)

http://soundcloud.com/cm2/optimus-prime

better yet, the kick and half the snare is resynth too.

Beta 2 released (attached to the first post in the thread)

Changes are:

• Fixed bug with exchanged LFO values
  • Fixed bug with forgetting FM oscillator settings
  • Fixed various FM oscillator bugs
  • Added extra checkbox for arpeggiator to enable/disable pitch envelope modifications
  • Added ‘view sample’ on change function (if sample editor is already visible)
  • Built in envelope reference diagram (via ‘envelope help’ button)
  • Extra menu option (insert new ReSynth instrument)
  • Menu items in instrument list
  • Keybindings (in Global -> ReSynth)

Enjoy.

Cool! Playing around with the latest beta, tweaking values, pressing ‘user’ for the second oscillator gave me:

Clicking on ‘fm’ for the second oscillator:

Pressing ‘VA’:

Huh, I fixed this bug once. :huh:

Please download beta 2b from the 1st post and try again.

mxb, taktik:

Please have a look at this video, it shows that there is a huge lag in Renoise’s responsiveness if I realtime-modulate parameters of Resynth. The longer I modulate the longer the lag will be afterwards. Seems to me a serious bug, but is this a problem of Reonise internally or a problem in the script of Resynth?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i5G2FYOsaRo&feature=youtu.be

Also, maybe this explains the suggestion “reserve waves” a bit:

was playing with the arpeggiator. clicked the first button and:

‘C:\Documents and Settings\tom\Application Data\Renoise\V2.8.0\Scripts\Tools\com.mxb.ReSynth.xrnx\main.lua’ failed in one of its notifiers.

Please contact the author (Martin Bealby | mxb (mbealby@gmail.com)) for assistance…

.\Arpeggiator/Arpeggiator.lua:297: attempt to perform arithmetic on field ‘?’ (a nil value)
stack traceback:
.\Arpeggiator/Arpeggiator.lua:297: in function ‘GetCurrentNote’
.\Arpeggiator/Arpeggiator.lua:412: in function ‘SelectStep’
.\Arpeggiator/Arpeggiator.lua:97: in function <.\Arpeggiator/Arpeggiator.lua:96>

Clicked the “apply arp to pitch” checkbox:

‘C:\Documents and Settings\tom\Application Data\Renoise\V2.8.0\Scripts\Tools\com.mxb.ReSynth.xrnx\main.lua’ failed in one of its notifiers.

Please contact the author (Martin Bealby | mxb (mbealby@gmail.com)) for assistance…

No matching overload found, candidates:
void add_point_at(InstrumentEnvelope&,custom [double],custom [double])
stack traceback:
[C]: in function ‘add_point_at’
.\Arpeggiator/Arpeggiator.lua:488: in function ‘Apply’
.\Arpeggiator/Arpeggiator.lua:375: in function ‘SetApplyPitch’
.\Arpeggiator/Arpeggiator.lua:167: in function <.\Arpeggiator/Arpeggiator.lua:166>

What kind of system are you running, OS, cpu/ram specs etc? Also, I think the ‘Master Spectrum’ view eats away cpu resources on certain settings, do things improve when you have the top view on something else?

ReSynth4 beta 3 released.

The programmable arpeggiator has been fixed in beta 3. Thanks for the bug report

I can replicate this ‘slowness’. The slowness goes away after disabling ‘undo’ functionality in the sample editor.

Note that beta 3 also fixes an issue with the supersaw oscillator which will result in patches made in earlier betas not opening. Read the first post for more information and a workaround to ‘upgrade’ patches.

damn this is really useful. thanks!!

This happens only with Resynth, there is plenty of cpu left.