New Tool (2.8) - Resynth 4

mxb, this has evolved into a great tool! I’ve finally had time to play with it. Two feature requests:

• 96khz waveforms.
  • Envelope periods longer than 24 - Those of use who like long epic sounds find that 24 just isn’t long enough, and then only way to get it to go slow is to drastically reduce the bpm. Of course you can do some LPB work-arounds, but 24 at your standard 120bmp feels pretty fast to me.

Otherwise, I love it! :)

Edit: sorry LPB doesn’t have any effect at all on the envelope speed. Longer envelopes would be fabulous!

+1 for longer envelopes. I really miss this for long pads etc.

The waveforms will remain at 44khz for this release. I’ll see if I can optimize some things and increase the frequency again in a point release at a later date.

I have increased all time parameters on the envelopes to 48 ticks. This should be plenty and is probably the maximum resolution we can realistically achieve with the small slider size.

I think we are approaching final release soon, so if anyone has any ReSynth4 patches that they would like to share I would like to collect a few examples together and provide as a seperate download from the tools page. Send me links as forum PMs.

Thanks!

+1

maybe something like a scale slider can be introduced? Working on the complete envelope, being able to scale it to the 1000 line limit at max position.

Thanks mxb! Looking forward to the new releases. :)

Is it possible to make load/save preset buttons in the gui? And a random button to generate a sound/preset? And an init button to reset all the settings to the defaults?

I found it got too confusing as you need two ‘sets’ of instrument files - the XRNI and the preset file.

Ultimately, I’ve found the organisation as it is now to work the best as the XRNI has all the data to regenerate / resume editing of an instrument within it. This means that people who have ReSynth tool installed can open it and edit it, while people who don’t can still play it as an instrument.

To reset an instrument to defaults, close any ReSynth dialogs, select the instrument and choose ‘Replace with ReSynth Instrument’. This will replace the current instrument with a default init patch.

Ok mxb, I have a feature request for ReSynth 4.0. I really hope this can be done.

Please could you improve on “Open ReSynth Instrument” so, that if there is no resynth instrument there, it creates a new resynth instrument and then opens it. This would mean that one simple shortcut (for opening ReSynth) would allow for both creating a new resynth, and later on opening it. i could zoom around a song with multiple resynth instruments, and when i please, i could create a new resynth instrument, have the gui open up and continue on trackin’.

p.s. extra bonus: please could you reinstate the show_status on transposition knob switches, so one knows when one has reached -24, -12, +12 or +24. It’s really difficult trying to do it during the playing of a track. The mouse-hover-tooltips used to say the transposition value, but that’s way slower than the gui or show_status having the transposition setting showing directly instead of having to wait for the tooltip to pop up.

Beta 3 has Renoise status bar feedback for all rotarys including tuning and transposing?

I’ll think about the other request.

thanks. i’ve found resynth to be amazingly fast to use, and completely crucial, when i just did this:

[code]
renoise.tool():add_keybinding {
name = ‘Global:mxb:New Resynth Instrument’,
invoke = function()
ReSynth(renoise.song().selected_instrument_index, OPEN_MODE_NEW)
end}

can really just jam and when i need my new resynth-instrument, i can then just slam it in and start configuring the sound. Since PadSynth is designed to not overwrite what ReSynth has done, I can first run ReSynth, do a sound with it, then add PadSynth on top of it, create that sound and i have a nice sound coming out of resynth+padsynth. if you could make it so that the samples that are already there are not overwritten, instead kept safe, one could layer resynth on top of other plugins or samples, which would be awesome!! :)

nice stuff , but i think no need this parameters - AHDBDSR volume and filter envelope
everything you need is ADSR

Hey, nice!

Stupid question: Where’s the filter cutoff knob?

So the user should disable undo in sample editor when using resynth. Would it be possible to handle this from resynth. Like this (pseudo) when the user touches anything in resynth:

function handle_knob(knob):  
 if sample_editor_undo:  
 must_switch_sample_editor_undo_back = True  
 sample_editor_undo = False  

....do the re-synth stuff....  

if must_switch_sample_editor_undo_back:  
 sample_editor_undo = True  

NB: What exactly does “undo in sample editor” do? I tried cutting a part of a sample with it disabled, and undo still brought the cutted part back…

Renoise has very nice envelopes that allow much more creative manipulation than a simple ADSR. AHDBDSR envelopes are quite powerful in sound design and are a compromise between a very simple ADSR and the complete ‘free-form’ envelope that Renoise allows. You can always use an AHDBDSR envelope as a simple ADSR (use the second D).

There is no overall envelope scaling, so no global filter cutoff. The equivalent affect can be obtained via the AHDBDSR envelopes with B > 0 and D2 = 0.

There is no API access to the undo setting in Renoise.

Hmmm, I couldn’t get that working.

I think having a dedicated cutoff knob would be much more to-the-point.

Great :frowning:

If you want to undo, you can create your own undo buffers based on what settings you passed in the previous phase, but it would indeed be nice if the Renoise undo buffers were controllable, but i guess they aren’t because you could then also handle undo steps where your tool wasn’t involved in (which is not the goal).

Ok…

I mean you store your current tool settings in an xml file and give it a follow-figure that automatically raises then apply the changes.
When ctrl-z is pressed, you simply load the previous xml file and then return the key to renoise (renoise will then undo what is done by the tool).
If you don’t have any earlier session-xml file, you don’t need to undo and you can drop the key value (do not “return key”).
Same you can do for Redo.

It is only a lot of work to prepare to save all parameters into an xml scheme (the more parameters you have, the more work it is).

Envelope change ahead!

I’m planning to remove the AHDBDSR envelopes and replace them with full t-v point envelopes.

These work as per the following diagram:

Each point on the curve is defined as the time from the last point (0 to 32 ticks, and a level value (0 to 25). The sustain point will be able to be set to any of these points. I’m going to aim for 6 or 8 points that can be specified.

This change allows much more flexibilty in the envelopes which is one of Renoise’s strengths. There is no need to emulate older limited envelopes as all of these (ADSR, AHDBDSR etc.) can be emulated via t-v envelopes.

I don’t want to be mistaken for a troll, but if Resynth is not meant to work in real-time it’s waaay back behind any other native synth in any DAW