New Tool (2.8): Step Sequencer 2

This depends on the Midi specification of the BCR. To implement this, you must be able to set the LEDs of the BCR and vice versa (bidirectional control). Honestly I doubt that the BCR is capable of getting values and set his LEDs .
Even if it would be possible it would be a quite big effort to make it work and integrate the BCR; you have to code it completely.
I did this already with another controller, the Launchpad as you might know; and you can do all your requests with it. It is a complete biderectional control unit, just have a look here: http://www.stepsequencer.net/
I think it is the most suitable controller for controlling the step sequencer.

Yes, you can control velocity, note value, filter cutoff - what you like - per track and per step with the control matrix. Your BCR is the perfect controller for it!

Thanks for the fast response Cie! I’ll look into it further and let you know if I figure anything out. I know the BCR can be setup with midi feedback with renoise (there’s this video showing automation feedback… although not as complex as what I was hoping for with the step sequencer). Also, I read in the BCR manual/yahoo group that it can receive updated LED positions if parameters are changed… though I don’t know how difficult this would be to implement…

Cheers!

the new version is working great with my over-zealous use of groups. thanks a lot

There is a new beta available in the first post, with some slight changes. Mainly some fixes in the controller matrix display. I have also added a Parameter “None: None” for a better overview which of the 8 parameters is used or not.

At this point I would like to mention also, that there was a review of the tool in the latest issue of the German magazine “Synthesizer Magazin”.

Got this error soon after loading the 2.11 beta (64bit). I think I had just launched Cells! when it appeared:

de.cie-online.StepSequencer.xrnx/main.lua' failed in one of its notifiers.  
The notifier will be disabled to prevent further errors.  

Please contact the author (Cie [cie@cie-online.de]) for assistance...  

light\gui.lua:1238: attempt to index field 'track_rows' (a nil value)  
stack traceback:  
 light\gui.lua:1238: in function <light><br>```

</light>

Hello.
I have a problem with sequencer, basically not a note put into a song using the sequencer really plays a sound, while those note which were put iinto track by usual way do sound and behave as expected.
Any ideas what could it be?

[quote=“HEXnibble, post:25, topic:35777”]
Got this error soon after loading the 2.11 beta (64bit). I think I had just launched Cells! when it appeared:

de.cie-online.StepSequencer.xrnx/main.lua' failed in one of its notifiers.  
The notifier will be disabled to prevent further errors.  

Please contact the author (Cie [cie@cie-online.de]) for assistance...  

light\gui.lua:1238: attempt to index field 'track_rows' (a nil value)  
stack traceback:  
 light\gui.lua:1238: in function <light><br>```

<br>[/quote]<br>
Thanks I will have a look if I can recreate it.<br>
<br>
[quote="HEXnibble, post:25, topic:35777"]<br>
Hello.<br>
I have a problem with sequencer, basically not a note put into a song using the sequencer really plays a sound, while those note which were put iinto track by usual way do sound and behave as expected.<br>
Any ideas what could it be?<br>[/quote]<br>
Hmm, maybe you have set the velocity to 00 in the sequencer, or a volume of 00 in the modulation matrix of the appropriate track?</light>

Hi I have just tried to use this I am getting the following error.

[snip]

main.lua: bad header in precompiled chunk

Other installed (but not activate) tools are duplex and cells. I am using renoise 64bit on mac.

You might have used the 32bit version, please try the 64bit version on the first page:

Congrats to the review in synthesizer mag, to the tutorial on renoise.com mainpage and other mentions on big sites!!!

Lauflicht is a centerpiece of my setup for a long time already.
So it’s time for my final request, since the tool is almost perfect.
I already suggested this before, but in my dreams it has already come true,so … :rolleyes:

Would there be any way to set the controller matrix defaults from none to a specific controller ? (Let’s say “>pattern fx >delay” for example instead of none none B) )
idon’t know, maybe via txt config file where every user can adjust personal settings?

I think a lot of people will use specific controllers very often? What do you think?

Big ups cie!
daniel

Thank you very much, dtunez :)
I am very happy that you are using it so frequently.

I like your idea to have the possibiltiy to save the control-matrix parameter setup. The problem is that the settings can’t be saved to a song yet (without any hacking), but only tool-wise. So one general setup for every song. If there are missing some effects in a song which were loaded into the matrix, there will be still “None: None”.
I will set this feature on my todo-list.

:w00t: dopeness!

I totally understand the “save to song”-problem, & I would even prefer the general setup(s) idea … one for beatmaking, one for livesessions for example…

Keep up the good work!

Just figured out, this issue if with Kontakt only. Other VST work like a charm.

I have added a new video which shows the keyboard mode and the control matrix of V2.11, and some more explanations.

This is a very nice plugin. I usually have trouble creating varied and more complicated beats and this makes it alot easier for me :)

That’s great! :walkman: Thank you! :)

this is really a very, very nice tool.
found at last the time to reactivate my microKontrol with this tool. 5 days holidays left to jam around :guitar:. the launchpad edition, looks really sophisticated, too. now its the time to make tracks, not only 1 pattern sketches. :rolleyes:

Thank you :walkman:

I am currently working on multiple Launchpad support for the Launchpad Edition. So that if you have e.g. 2 Launchpads, you can use them both together as a 16-hardware step sequencer. Theoretically it should work also with more than 2 Launchpads (but I can not test).
Here is a quick and dirty video showing the early alpha state.

Hi,

You are far too damn awesome, i came to post about using more than one launchpad and you’re already doing it!?!?!?!
I will seriously consider dropping money on being able to run 4 at once if you manage to get the code working, it’ll
be the best step sequencer setup EVAR!

Out of curiosity is it likely that in the future the amount of steps shown in the window will be configurable, it is
16 at the moment but it barely takes up half my screen. Being able to bump this to 32 or even more would be pretty damn
cool, hopefully this isn’t too hard coded :)

Once again, thankyou for making the plugin that keeps me coming back to renoise even when the evils of ableton tempt me away.

Also, i’d like to send some money your way to say thanks. The purchase link on your site seems to be down, just checking in
that you knew about this and if it’s likely to come up again soon. If not a paypal would work or …?

Per

Thank you very much :)/>/>/> You are welcome to test it with 4 Launchpads, just contact me in a PM.
As you can see I am using it with two Launchpads and some other users with the same setup already tested it successfully.

This is already possible, you can modify the step length to 8, 16 or 32. Just go to the Preferences menue within the Tools->Step Sequencer menue.

Nice to hear and thank you very much for your support! :)
I didn’t notice that the buy button isn’t visible; it seems that the partner page which handles the payment process is currently down for some reason.
Yes it is also possible to pay with paypal, if you like you can contact me in PM.