New tool (3.0, 3.1): Noodletrap

@akiz: not at the moment, no
I’d like to see it getting monophonic support as well as Renoise style input quantize.

Btw: what do you mean by ‘blank’?

By blank i mean blank, you see gray window of noodletrap without any button or anything else (and it wrotes out bug) .
I dont wanna uninstall my tools (to make a screenshot of that bug) but i can tell you how to experiment it, it doesnt matter of you use linux, mac or windows i think.
Install noodletrap as a first tool and then install some other tools (10 at least and i am almost sure that duplex is one of them) and i am sure you will experience it. (Sometimes when you install tool and tools are reloaded it repairs broken noodletrap :-)).
I´ve experienced it during every fresh install of computer and it was about five times since noodletrap has been released.

Ah, it bugs out. Well, a blank dialog is no mystery then :slight_smile:

I have been told how to reproduce this bug elsewhere, so expect a fix to arrive shortly.

I do still not understand what the purpose of this tool is… :slight_smile: Its like multiple taking ideas and later fill them back to the pattern? How can I easily transfer to pattern and playback my takes? Is it possible not to use phrases (only for storage for the tool)?

You can copy it out of the phrase, but the problem for me that recording looks confusing because of not respekting quantization and mono / stereo setting. But it is great tool if patterns or its borders are limiting you. And phrases can work like clips so it is easy to experiment with different ideas. Just jam something, quantize it by hand (grrr!), transpose it and use it.

1 Like

A new version is out, mainly fixing a few long-standing issues

FIXME: now displays selected MIDI port correctly on startup.
FIXME: Do not initialize tool dialog when launching (behave nice). Also, “sleep” while dialog is hidden (ignore notifiers)
FIXME: Record “start” option : first note should always be a note-on 
FIXME: could throw error on certain combinations of MIDI key transpose and renoise transpose (very low notes) 
TWEAK: when record-armed, but not recording, “stop button” will cancel the take 
TWEAK: double-clicking phrase buttons should now always toggle phrase editor. Previously, it was a bit fiddly and sometimes requires three clicks. 
TWEAK: Made “Phrase LPB = Song” the default option when creating new phrases

Download: http://www.renoise.com/tools/noodletrap

wohooo… thanks. vlib… now this… its like Christmas

p.s. it works like a charm with vmpk

New version is out - download from the tool page

FIXME No longer output doubled note-off
FIXME Better use of empty note-columns (more compact recordings)
FEATURE Quantize note input
FEATURE Preserve note length (when quantizing)
FEATURE Respect monophonic setting in instrument (single-column takes)
CODE Refactored events into NTrapEvent class

Apart from a couple of bug fixes, there is now a built-in quantize feature.

It does quantize in pretty much the same way as Renoise, with the ability to manually specify a value or let it sync with whatever you have selected in Renoise.
Events (note-on/off) that have a delay of more than 50% will be pushed to the next line before quantize is applied.

I’m thinking of making this feature more sophisticated, and use the instrument quantize level (line/beat/bar) if specified.
This should ensure that you are recording a phrase that would sound the same as what you played, always.
Currently, it will use the value which has been set manually in the tool, or the global renoise-specified quantize amount.

Are there any YouTube vids of this thing in action? I can’t figure it out.

Quantize is amazing, what about mono setting? :slight_smile:
It still takes a lot of time to make simple phrase looking nice IMHO.

Damn, did I forget to…

Quantize is amazing, what about mono setting? :slight_smile:

Yes, I forgot to mention that. It was also added during the last update :slight_smile:
If you set the instrument to monophonic, it should respect that and only record a single column.

@Akiz: Oops, I thought the monophonic feature was part of the update, but it wasn’t.
I just repackaged and uploaded a new version. Sorry about the confusion!

You are the one!

1 Like

I haven’t really gotten used to github. Commit, pull andpush, it’s all very confusing :smiley:

Is there a manual for this tool?

Is there a manual for this tool?

Sorry, no. But as the tool seems pretty feature complete, now would perhaps be the time.

Noodletrap, how to explain it?

First of all, it does recording in a somewhat different way that Renoise itself.So I would recommend being comfortable with the features in Renoise that it’s based on - the recording workflow, and instrument phrases.

When you are recording notes into patterns in Renoise, you are recording directly from the playback position, as playback progresses through the song. But when recording with Noodletrap, you are recording notes into the instrument. Heck, playback does not even have to be enabled.

This means that you end up with an instrument full of phrases - but you still have to insert them into your song, somewhere.

The rest is just settings for how, when and for how long NT should record. If it’s not obvious how they work - feel free to ask.

1 Like

Works great

This is an excellent tool danoise! It’s so great to be able to record live noodling, but still have neat tidy patterns without all the visual clutter created by live input. Keep up the great work!

First - Great job with this tool! This is one of those things that I’ve been thinking to myself would be nice to have with renoise, so really amazing to see that someone actually made it!

Buuut I’m getting some bug…

Happens when I try to press stop

‘/Users/Kalle/Library/Preferences/Renoise/V3.0.1/Scripts/Tools/com.renoise.Noodletrap.xrnx/main.lua’ failed in one of its notifiers.

Please contact the author (danoise (bjorn@renoise.com)) for assistance…

./classes/NTrap.lua:1657: attempt to compare nil with number

stack traceback:

./classes/NTrap.lua:1657: in function ‘parse_phrase_recording’

./classes/NTrap.lua:1718: in function ‘_process_recording’

./classes/NTrap.lua:302: in function ‘stop_recording’

./classes/NTrap.lua:285: in function ‘toggle_recording’

./classes/NTrapUI.lua:968: in function <./classes/NTrapUI.lua:967>

And then

‘/Users/Kalle/Library/Preferences/Renoise/V3.0.1/Scripts/Tools/com.renoise.Noodletrap.xrnx/main.lua’ failed in one of its notifiers.

The notifier will be disabled to prevent further errors.

Please contact the author (danoise (bjorn@renoise.com)) for assistance…

./classes/NTrap.lua:1657: attempt to compare nil with number

stack traceback:

./classes/NTrap.lua:1657: in function ‘parse_phrase_recording’

./classes/NTrap.lua:1718: in function ‘_process_recording’

./classes/NTrap.lua:302: in function ‘stop_recording’

./classes/NTrap.lua:518: in function ‘_on_idle’

main.lua:84: in function main.lua:74

Funny thing is this does create phrases, but they seem to be empty but when I try to select them the whole program crashes!

Hey sumprunk, thanks for the nice words.

And you are right, running the tool with the default settings will cause that error.
I will investigate and fix!!