New tool (3.0, 3.1): Noodletrap

Why?

You plugged it in after having started the tool?

Noodletrap does not scan for newly connected devices. Not yet, at least…

No no!
I have two theories: Windows 10 + noodletrap = doesnt see midi
or
Duplex and Renoise uses my midi device so much that noodletrap cant touch it :smiley:

Ive maybe found another clue why noodletrap doesnt see my midi…

Renoise cant find my korg taktile if i connect it during session (i cant remember this problem with windows 7 and my old generic midi keys, so dont know if this is about OS or my midi.) There is something fishy

Renoise cant find my korg taktile if i connect it during session

Hm, so if we for a moment ignore the fact that Noodletrap doesn’t yet support device hot-swapping, this feature is simply not working with Renoise + taktile on Win10?

That’s fishy indeed - although I can’t really confirm this here & now, as I neither have that controller or is running that OS, the bottom line is that it should work.

But: if you_do_connect the taktile before running Renoise, it shows up in both Renoise and Noodletrap?

It shows and works in Renoise

It shows and works in Duplex

It doesnt show in Noodletrap

But it showed once! Right after ive installed phrasemate. But i cant replicate it!

I have feeling that it doesnt work in xRules (but it see my midi controller) also, but dont take my word here. I just deactivated controller, enabled osc, selected controller in XRules and tried to play some midi notes. No sound, no signal from midi monitor in renoise…

A new release of Noodletrap (v0.97)is available:
http://www.renoise.com/tools/noodletrap

@Akiz and 30rhythms: thanks for the bug reports. There was indeed a condition in which MIDI ports would not be listed the first time the tool was run.
Think I squashed it with this new release + it also adds device hot-plugging on all platforms.

FIXED Missing MIDI input ports on startup 
FEATURE MIDI Device hot-plugging

Still nothing for me. Now i can choose my midi-keyboard, yes, but record still only from regular computer keyboard.

I hit Start and see “Waiting for first note to arrive”. If i press keys on computer keyboard record is perfect but when i push midi keys nothing at all.

Still nothing for me.

Yup, I somehow missed a detail here. A workaround right now is to disable and re-enable the tool from the Renoise tool browser window.

But, will post a new version with a couple of new features soon enough.

OK, did a more thorough investigation yesterday and hopefully, fixed the MIDI input once and for all?

Also addressed some small issues that have been there since the launch of Renoise 3.1

Download the new release from the tool page, and check out the updated docs.

And, uhm, while I mention MIDI commands in the docs, this is being worked on but not yet done.

I have installed last release (first I uninstalled old one) and got this error when starting Renoise:

___Renoise\V3.1.0\Scripts\Tools\com.renoise.Noodletrap.xrnx’ failed to execute in one of its menu entry functions.

Please contact the author (danoise (bjorn@renoise.com)) for assistance…

.\classes/NTrap.lua:647: attempt to index global ‘rns’ (a nil value)

stack traceback:

.\classes/NTrap.lua:647: in function ‘attach_to_song’

.\classes/NTrapUI.lua:123: in function ‘show’

.\classes/NTrap.lua:376: in function ‘show_dialog’

main.lua:64: in function main.lua:62

I have installed last release (first I uninstalled old one) and got this error when starting Renoise

Thanks for reporting!
It only happened on the very first startup after reinstalling Renoise?

Note that you were probably running an earlier (outdated) version of the tool, as the latest release requires Renoise 3.1
If you update Noodletrap and it keeps happening, I will take a second look.

Thanks for reporting!
It only happened on the very first startup after reinstalling Renoise?

Note that you were probably running an earlier (outdated) version of the tool, as the latest release requires Renoise 3.1
If you update Noodletrap and it keeps happening, I will take a second look.

I meant last release of Noodletrap. I use Renoise 3.1.

I don’t know what was wrong, but now it’s OK.Little bit mystery.

I get the following error with the latest version in 3.1:

no static ‘get_selected_phrase’ in class ‘xPhraseManager’
stack traceback:
[C]: ?
./classes/NTrap.lua:1157: in function ‘_get_phrase_lpb’
./classes/NTrapUI.lua:1836: in function ‘_apply_phrase_lpb_from_option’
./classes/NTrapUI.lua:1148: in function ‘update’
./classes/NTrap.lua:605: in function ‘_on_idle’
main.lua:98: in function main.lua:88

Thanks, will look into it.

I wanna understand how this tool is used. Is there a video somewhere I could look at?

I wanna understand how this tool is used. Is there a video somewhere I could look at?

No, I’m not much into shooting videos, sorry.

It’s really simple though. Default settings should allow you to start the tool and hit record.

Takes goes into the selected instruments’ phrase bank, after which you should be able to use them.

Repeat and rinse.

No, I’m not much into shooting videos, sorry.

It’s really simple though. Default settings should allow you to start the tool and hit record.

Takes goes into the selected instruments’ phrase bank, after which you should be able to use them.

Repeat and rinse.

ok. does this automatically input the phrase into the pattern editor so that it will start immediately playing after phrase-recording has been finished?

Nope, this tool doesn’t touch the pattern editor at all.

Think of it like recording a line-in signal - just with notes instead of audio.

Usually, you wouldn’t want that to place a note in the pattern editor either - although, it’s a legit workflow that I’ve personally investigated with the Duplex recorder.

Nope, this tool doesn’t touch the pattern editor at all.

Think of it like recording a line-in signal - just with notes instead of audio.

Usually, you wouldn’t want that to place a note in the pattern editor either - although, it’s a legit workflow that I’ve personally investigated with the Duplex recorder.

I created a “phrase-sampler” (pattern-length-based) into Paketti which automatically input the instrument to the first row of “that channel”, with a G01 glide command so if you recorded into a 16 row pattern for 256 rows worth of content, it would loop and then re-trigger when the sample stopped. there’s definitely a usecase for “record and immediately play without stopping to track the trigger notes in” (blind-looping)

I opened Renoise and opened NoodleTrap and immediately was accosted with

'/Users/esaruoho/Library/Preferences/Renoise/V3.1.1/Scripts/Tools/com.renoise.Noodletrap.xrnx/main.lua' failed in one of its notifiers.
The notifier will be disabled to prevent further errors.

Please contact the author (danoise (bjorn@renoise.com)) for assistance...

no static 'get_selected_phrase' in class 'xPhraseManager'
stack traceback:
  [C]: ?
  ./classes/NTrap.lua:1157: in function '_get_phrase_lpb'
  ./classes/NTrapUI.lua:1836: in function '_apply_phrase_lpb_from_option'
  ./classes/NTrapUI.lua:1148: in function 'update'
  ./classes/NTrap.lua:605: in function '_on_idle'
  main.lua:98: in function <main.lua:88>

What am I doing wrong? I had no instrument selected in the instrument box.