New Tool (3.0): CDP lua tool

Terminal window goes blank after I press “process”. No messages at all.

EDIT: Btw, I am using the 32-bit version of Renoise. Is that relevant?

Are you on a 64-bit OS ? I assume everything needs to be the same in that regard, i.e. 64-bit Renoise, 64-bit CDP.

Beyond that I’m stuck. I’m putting finishing touches to an installation tutorial for Linux, don’t know if it will help in your case but I’ll post here when it’s done.

Best,

dp

I am on Yosemite/OS X, which is 64-bits, so yes.

I thought CDP was 32-bit, you don’t get an option (as far as I remember) to install either a 32-bit or 64-bit.

Maybe I should do a complete re-install of CDP. I have the Reaper + CDP combo, btw, and that works fine. But it’s a lot more limited than the Renoise version, which includes all processes/EXE filters, while the Renoise version only contains a select few.

Thanks again - maybe the Linux install help will indeed be of use. Thanks!

I am on Yosemite/OS X, which is 64-bits, so yes.

I thought CDP was 32-bit, you don’t get an option (as far as I remember) to install either a 32-bit or 64-bit.

Maybe I should do a complete re-install of CDP. I have the Reaper + CDP combo, btw, and that works fine. But it’s a lot more limited than the Renoise version, which includes all processes/EXE filters, while the Renoise version only contains a select few.

Thanks again - maybe the Linux install help will indeed be of use. Thanks!

Alas, I’m at a loss to help further. I looked at the Mac installation notes, it appears you’re correct about the binaries being 32-bit, but the notes also mention successful tests on a 64-bit system.

At this point I can only suggest contacting afta8 and/or Djeroek directly for more specific help. Good luck, sorry I can’t help more.

Best,

dp

Hey Digidandy, welcome to the forum! From the beginning of this thread, pretty much every problem was about these things:

1. Failing to set the environment variable thing. This is by far the most common issue. But you should be able to use some of the processes even if you haven’t set this (filter, distort etc.)

Windows: The usual cause of this error message is that the environment variable CDP_SOUND_EXT has not been defined (to wav). This can be done via Control Panel->System Settings->Advanced->Environment Variables.

MacOS: Follow the steps in manualconfig.pdf which can be downloaded from http://www.unstablesound.net/cdp.html (Mac Documentation)

2. Renoise tool not being installed correctly. This usually means the tool can’t access the user definitions somehow and you need to reinstall the tool. In my experience reinstalling is pretty random, but perhaps restarting your computer and/or deleting tool preferences could help. The “preferences.xml” file is located in the CDP folder inside “User/Library/Preferences/Renoise/v3.0.1/Scripts/Tools/”.

3. Not installing the CDP package from their website: http://unstablesound.net/cdp.html

Final step, if you are certain the steps above are set up correctly:

Try running the PVOC process from the command line, if it fails then this is something to post on the CDP Forum

If it works on command line then it is something with the tool and I will investigate it further.

I have the Reaper + CDP combo, btw, and that works fine.

If Reaper and Soundloom work fine then it indicates the problem is with the tool. Have you tried reinstalling the CDP tool? Alternatively as emrek says try deleting the ‘preferences.xml’ in the tools folder and relaunch Renoise.

After you have done either of these when you first launch the tool it will ask you where the CDP executables are and the path should be: cdpr7/_cdp/_cdprogs/

32/64 bits shouldn’t make a difference, I am on Yosemite 64bit and it works fine here. Try a basic process that doesn’t require the environment variable such as ‘distort’ or ‘filter’ first. If that works try something like ‘blur’

I’m putting finishing touches to an installation tutorial for Linux, don’t know if it will help in your case but I’ll post here when it’s done.

Nice :slight_smile:

You should post that on the CDP forum too, I’m sure it will be helpful to quite a few

From the beginning of this thread, pretty much every problem was about these things…

Ha! Nice summary, I think we have about 10 pages of this thread going through the same issues over and over and over and over

:wink:

Ok … it’s working!

I tried a number of things, but I think what may have solved it was choosing the “_cdprogs” folder in the cdp7 folder, instead of the “_cdp” folder (one level up).

Which is kind of weird, because all the EXE filters/processes showed up fine when I chose “_cdp”, so I assumed they would work.

Or perhaps something else I did solved this? I installed Renoise 64-bit (probably not relevant), and the removed and re-installed the CDP tool itself numerous times.

Could be a case of something solved it, but who knows what. Anyways - it works! :slight_smile:

Ok … it’s working!

I tried a number of things, but I think what may have solved it was choosing the “_cdprogs” folder in the cdp7 folder, instead of the “_cdp” folder (one level up).

Which is kind of weird, because all the EXE filters/processes showed up fine when I chose “_cdp”, so I assumed they would work.

I made a similar mistake when I first configured the tool’s path to the CDP binaries, I was one directory too high. I re-installed and set the directory properly, had no troubles after that. I’ll add a note to watch for that error in my tutorial.

Best,

dp

…I’ll add a note to watch for that error in my tutorial.

Perhaps also make a note about some buggy .exe’s (ABFPAN, ABFPAN2, ABFDCODE, FASTCONV, REVERB, RMVERB, RMRESP, RMSINFO - at least on windows machines, dunno about linux)that have been fixed and can be downloaded here;

http://people.bath.ac.uk/masrwd/r7PCrebuilds.zip

…the fixed programs need to be extracted overwriting the old versions in the ‘_cdprogs’ folder.

For original thread about this see;http://unstablesound.net/cdpforum/index.php?topic=14.0

Perhaps also make a note about some buggy .exe’s (ABFPAN, ABFPAN2, ABFDCODE, FASTCONV, REVERB, RMVERB, RMRESP, RMSINFO - at least on windows machines, dunno about linux)that have been fixed and can be downloaded here;

http://people.bath.ac.uk/masrwd/r7PCrebuilds.zip

…the fixed programs need to be extracted overwriting the old versions in the ‘_cdprogs’ folder.

For original thread about this see;http://unstablesound.net/cdpforum/index.php?topic=14.0

My tutorial is directed towards Linux users, but I’ll add a mention for the Win users who might look into it.

I know I’ve tested REVERB and RMVERB, they worked fine, as far as I could tell. The soundfile was reverberated where it had not been before, so I guess the processors work. Linux users have to build the binaries anyway, so if there are errors they’re likely to be in the CDP code.

Btw, I’ve been unable to make any of the TEXTURE modes work. Anyone test these yet ? As far as I can tell, I have the data file formats correct - I’m using a CDP tutorial - but I always get an error about them, regardless of mode.

One note more: This tool provided the incentive for me to purchase Renoise today. I’ve always liked the program but never found a place for it in my workspace. The CDP tool changed that, now I’m having a hard time quitting Renoise. :slight_smile: Oh, and I got a discount for being a registered user of Redux, very cool deal.

So yes, I am getting closer to living like a hog in the fat-house. :slight_smile:

Best,

dp

Btw, I’ve been unable to make any of the TEXTURE modes work. Anyone test these yet ? As far as I can tell, I have the data file formats correct - I’m using a CDP tutorial - but I always get an error about them, regardless of mode.

Same here. I’m not sure where the problem lies but I’ve reported that to Afta a while ago.

When I made them, I tested a few and got them working, but almost all of them need a note data file with specific input. Get the correct syntax from the manual. Sometimes you can copy and paste in an example from the manual to check if it works, but there have been cases where the manual has mistakes in it, thus pasting will fail. Will check again tonight if I find time :slight_smile:

When I made them, I tested a few and got them working, but almost all of them need a note data file with specific input. Get the correct syntax from the manual. Sometimes you can copy and paste in an example from the manual to check if it works, but there have been cases where the manual has mistakes in it, thus pasting will fail. Will check again tonight if I find time :slight_smile:

Pretty sure it’s me getting the syntax wrong then but here’s what I’ve tried before:

According to the cdp tutorial “texture - simple 5” seems to be the most basic one so I gave it a shot other day but no luck.

If I’m getting the example in the manual right, it should work on a simple one line entry “60” as text input but when I try that it just says “insufficient note value” or something and does nothing. I’m probably doing it wrong.

Greetings,

I tested many of the modes for TEXTURE, using data lists as found in the tutorials. It’s not working, regardless of mode selected. I think this one is definitely bugged. That’s a shame, it looks like it has tremendous potential.

We need to ask someone at the CDP what’s up with that processor.

Best,

dp

I think the problem lies with the sndfirst & sndlast parameters in the definition file for texture, here you define the nr of soundfiles to be used, but I don’t think it works right now how it is set-up from the script. Unfortunately don’t have time atm to figure out how to best fix it. If you haven’t already, you could enable the lua terminal stuff in Renoise and open up the CDP tool, to see if you can manually doctor out a solution?

Ok, I just checked out texture simple 5, using; ‘0 0 1 1 36 84 0.2 1.5 60 60’ (without the brackets) as input for note data and got a result using the default parameters. It seems though the input sample can’t be too short and has to be mono! I think the ‘maxdur’ parameter which now automatically takes its value based on the input samples length, needs to be of a certain size. Will test some more.

Just out of curiosity, is there any sort of tutorial for installing and using the tool? A search of “CDP” on the forums returns no results, maybe a bug? I looked on the vorpalsound site, but didn’t find any material that doesn’t assume I’m already up and running with the tool. I’ve installed what I believe are called the definitions, and took a guess as to what directory to define when opening the tool. Walking around with my head cut off here, but I’m definitely interested in what CDP has to offer. I apologize in advance if this is the wrong place to post this, couldn’t find anywhere else on the forums that refers to the tool.

There are two steps to installation

1. Install CDP - download and instructions are here:http://www.unstablesound.net/cdp.html

2. Install the latest CDP tool from here:https://forum.renoise.com/t/new-tool-3-0-cdp-lua-tool/41466

In theory that should be all there is to it, however if you don’t follow the CDP installations properly you will run into problems. If you are running OSX Yosemite then there is another step you need to follow which is detailed here:https://forum.renoise.com/t/new-tool-3-0-cdp-lua-tool/41466

Ok, I just checked out texture simple 5, using; ‘0 0 1 1 36 84 0.2 1.5 60 60’ (without the brackets) as input for note data and got a result using the default parameters. It seems though the input sample can’t be too short and has to be mono! I think the ‘maxdur’ parameter which now automatically takes its value based on the input samples length, needs to be of a certain size. Will test some more.

I also managed to get texture simple 1-4 to work with the following in the note data input.

26 14 10 20 12 4
0 1 60 0 0
0 1 63 0 0
0 1 67 0 0
0 1 70 0 0

It also seems the process takes mono inputs and outputs stereo, this can be fixed in the definitions file so it can handle stereo files (splitting and rejoining happening in the background). I’ll fix this for the next update, however for now stick to mono files while you test it.

One thing with these processes is that they can take multiple input files with no upper limit and this isn’t supported by the current CDP tool. At the moment the number of input files is hard coded into the definitions so if you want to run these process with more than one input then you will have to edit the process definitions.

Can anyone with scripting terminal enabled on Linux and Windows run this command and let me know what you get, I’m looking at adding a check to see if the environment variable is set which should help with a lot of the installation issues.

print(os.getenv("CDP_SOUND_EXT"))

It also seems the process takes mono inputs and outputs stereo, this can be fixed in the definitions file so it can handle stereo files (splitting and rejoining happening in the background). I’ll fix this for the next update, however for now stick to mono files while you test it.

So after the fix;

1. A stereo sound is send to the process

2. It will get split in two separate channels, both of which are send to texture

3. The two mono inputs will return 2 stereo output files and these are mix pasted into one result? (…are both results really mixpasted though, or does it take the left channel from one result, the right channel from the other and put these together?)

How about optionally returning just 2 stereo outputs into renoise? In affect making a first step towards supporting multichannel output definitions :yeah:, sorry couldn’t help myself :slight_smile: .

Can anyone with scripting terminal enabled on Linux and Windows run this command and let me know what you get, I’m looking at adding a check to see if the environment variable is set which should help with a lot of the installation issues.

print(os.getenv("CDP_SOUND_EXT"))

I’m getting;

>>> print(os.getenv("CDP_SOUND_EXT"))
wav

windows 10 32 bit Renoise