New Tool (3.0): CDP lua tool

So after the fix;

1. A stereo sound is send to the process

2. It will get split in two separate channels, both of which are send to texture

3. The two mono inputs will return 2 stereo output files and these are mix pasted into one result? (…are both results really mixpasted though, or does it take the left channel from one result, the right channel from the other and put these together?)

How about optionally returning just 2 stereo outputs into renoise? In affect making a first step towards supporting multichannel output definitions :yeah:, sorry couldn’t help myself :slight_smile: .

Actually I just reviewed the code and in this case it will mix the left and right channels to create a mono file and then process that resulting in a stereo file. This is all done behind the scenes using the Housekeep and Submix processes so I’m sure it can be done as you describe, that will probably preserve the stereo image better. This will take some changes to the code though so for now I have just updated the definitions to use the existing stereo/mono handling methods.

Ha, multichannel is still a way off I’m afraid, besides Renoise doesn’t support multichannel samples anyway.

I’ll post the updated tool shortly, it also includes a check now for the environment variable being set… Yay :slight_smile:

Updated to v0.62 and also (finally) added to the Tools page:http://www.renoise.com/tools/cdp-interface :slight_smile:

I’ve also written an installation guide to help new users get started.

No new features added on this release, just fixed the definitions for the ‘Texture’ processes so that you can use stereo samples.

Also included is a check for the Environment Variable when the tool is launched, this should help troubleshoot installations issues for new users.

Wonderful news re: the new version. :slight_smile:

Just to clarify: Is it necessary to uninstall the previous version before dropping in the new one ?

And my tutorial for Linux users is now complete. Should I post it here ? It’s rather lengthy and it’s in plain text at the moment. Could one of the tool devs look it over for errors and inconsistencies ? I’ve put it on my ftp site if anyone wants to peruse it. Btw, the tarball includes the images that accompany the text.

http://linux-sound.org/misc/article-cdp-for-renoise.tgz

Best,

dp

Great tutorial Dave :slight_smile: Just had a read through and can’t think of anything I would add or change, I can’t comment about the linux installation bits but everything else reads fine.

Not sure where you should post this, you could post it here but it might become hard to find at a later date as something in the middle of a forum thread. I could upload it to the documentation section on the tools page or put a link in the installation guide if you want to leave it on your FTP server, or maybe you could post it to a blog?

Either way wherever you decide I will refer to it in the installation guide that comes with the tool.

Also regarding updating the tool, you don’t need to uninstall previous versions, the new version will overwrite it.

Cheers

Great tutorial Dave :slight_smile: Just had a read through and can’t think of anything I would add or change, I can’t comment about the linux installation bits but everything else reads fine.

Not sure where you should post this, you could post it here but it might become hard to find at a later date as something in the middle of a forum thread. I could upload it to the documentation section on the tools page or put a link in the installation guide if you want to leave it on your FTP server, or maybe you could post it to a blog?

Either way wherever you decide I will refer to it in the installation guide that comes with the tool.

Also regarding updating the tool, you don’t need to uninstall previous versions, the new version will overwrite it.

Thanks for checking the tutorial, I’m glad you enjoyed it. Hopefully it can help Linux users get started with the CDP tool.

I have a Wordpress site I haven’t used before now, I’ll try putting the tutorial up there first and let you know how that turns out. Of course, anyone can download the gzip’d file at linux-sound.org if they want to read it in plain text.

Btw, I checked out the TEXTURE processor with your suggested parameters. It works ! Thanks again for helping make all this stuff happen, you guys have truly given a new life to the CDP software.

Got it re: the upgrade. Renoise nicely prompted me about the overwrite, I accepted, everything works fine.

Best,

dp

I have a Wordpress site I haven’t used before now, I’ll try putting the tutorial up there first and let you know how that turns out. Of course, anyone can download the gzip’d file at linux-sound.org if they want to read it in plain text.

Your article is really great - a nice linuxperspective on the whole affair, but still relevant for someone not familiar with CDP.

I am certain that Renoise would be happy to lend some blog space too - it has relatively high visibility, yet we are always struggling to create enough content for it.

Updated to v0.62 and also (finally) added to the Tools page:http://www.renoise.com/tools/cdp-interface :slight_smile:

And then, it instantly became a featured tool.

Your article is really great - a nice linuxperspective on the whole affair, but still relevant for someone not familiar with CDP.

I am certain that Renoise would be happy to lend some blog space too - it has relatively high visibility, yet we are always struggling to create enough content for it.

Thanks for the offer for the Renoise blog space, I believe I’ll take you up on that. I’m not really up on the blogosphere and how things are done there, so what should I do next ?

I’m happy you liked the article, Again I ask readers to let me know of any inaccuracies or missing parts, I’ll update the text asap.

Best,

dp

I believe I’ll take you up on that. I’m not really up on the blogosphere and how things are done there, so what should I do next ?

Our blog is running on a drupal installation -

I have just created a blog account for you and sent a PM with details.

Our blog is running on a drupal installation -

I have just created a blog account for you and sent a PM with details.

Thank you very much ! Got the PM, I’ll look things over and will try to put the tutorial up today.

Best,

dp

Okay, I’ve created the blog entry and it’s listed on the blogs page.

http://www.renoise.com/node/807

I suspect I’ve made some mistakes in the arrangement of things. I noticed that I forgot to add a descriptive blurb, can I still add that ? Also, AFAICT I never made any sort of “/blog/XXX” address indication. Please advise if I need to, and tell me how to do it. :slight_smile:

Comments and suggestions for improvement are most welcome.

Best,

dp

Awesome, feels great to have it featured! :drummer:

Okay, I’ve created the blog entry and it’s listed on the blogs page.

Nice one, looks great and thanks Danoise for hosting it on the Blog. I’ve linked to it in the user guide and the tools page.

Big ups to you all :yeah:

Hi,

Is there a way to disable the ‘script not responding’ terminate dialog? This seems to happen for processing that takes long but is fine.

Hey guys. So I’m writing a tutorial for setting up CDP tool but I’m not sure what is necessary for setting up the environment variable on Mac’s now. It used to be steps 1 & 2 in manualconfig.pdf (downloaded from CDP site) but there’s also a new step for Yosemite described hereon CDP forum.

So my question is the “new” step enough now or do you still need to do the things described in manualconfig? I don’t know how to check as I already have it installed on my Mac now. If anyone has recently set it up or something, let me know!

Edit: Well, this is stupid. I realized the tool on my Mac isn’t working and I can’t fix it no matter what. (On Yosemite & did the bonus step.) So much for writing a guide, lol. Anyhow, I still did the post describing it the best way I could for Mac, but seriously CDP devs need to fix this environment variable thing somehow :S

http://vorpalsound.com/vs/cdp-setup-guide/

Hi, I’m having trouble trouble getting the CDP tool to work in Ubuntu 15.04 (Lubuntu, actually). When I select ‘CDP Interface’ from the ‘Tools’ menu, I get a pop-up telling me the Environment Variable is not set, even though I added the ‘export CDP_SOUND_EXT=wav’ line to my .bashrc file. I have Portaudio and its development files installed.

When I try to run the tool on any audio files I get this in the CDP Terminal:

ERROR: Cannot open output file /tmp/Renoise-0-5687/Renoise_TmpFile-0-6.ana

ERROR: INVALID DATA

ERROR: Can’t open file /tmp/Renoise-0-5687/Renoise_TmpFile-0-4.ana to read data.

Also, when I try to run the CDP from command line, (for example, using the ‘./blur’ command) I get this response in the terminal, even with mono 16 bit audio:

“Application doesn’t work with this type of infile.”

I’ve been struggling with this for a week, any help would be appreciated.

Jon

Nevermind, I got it working!

Im using the vorpal installation guide but the extension is not being found

on win 10

do we create a new extension completely and set to wav or should it come up automatically?

cheers

Im using the vorpal installation guide but the extension is not being found

on win 10

do we create a new extension completely and set to wav or should it come up automatically?

cheers

Don’t have Win 10 but you’ve tried uninstalling the tool and reinstalling it, right?

yea tried that

ill try again

p.s are you the vorpal that had some albums out on sublight back in the 00s?

loved those albums

yea tried that

ill try again

p.s are you the vorpal that had some albums out on sublight back in the 00s?

loved those albums

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YQyOSx5w73o

Cool, it sounds like you can’t get the tool to install correctly but I’m on Win 8 so I can’t tell for sure. Do you get a specific error?

And that’s not me!

Has anyone had any success in installing this on osx maverick?

I am stalled out in the manualconfig file in setting up the environment variable (step 2) due to operator ignorance.

I’d love to take advantage of these tools.

Anyone able to walk me through it?

pretty please?

:smashed: