New Tool (3.0): CDP lua tool

Hello Djeroek and OopsIFly

Thank you! Your assistance has allowed me to move forward. I can make the distortion tool work inside Reaper, along with a couple others.

One thing which was confusing me, and which might help other new users, is about how to create a new sample that CDP can use for the output. I was just clicking on the “+” symbol next to the instrument slots in the Renoise sampler. What is important, is to choose or create an instrument slot, but then in the window where the waveform is represented (where the text says “No Sample Selected”), right click and choose “Create Sample”. Now you can use this empty sample as an output for CDP.

So at least I know that CDP can work for me in Renoise running on Linux. But at this point, I can only get three to work (distortion, fastconv and reverb). The reasons for not working are varied. Some, I notice, are present in the Renoise CDP Tool drop down menu but are not present in the binaries I compiled (eg mchiter).

But most frustrating for me is this error message (see image below):

fm01yzfgexxj_t.jpg

This time I am also not having any success in the terminal:

x@x:~/Binaries/CDP/Release$ ./blur blur $HOME/cdptest/radtoolds.wav $HOME/cdptest/radtoolds/output/radtooldsblur.wav 100

Application doesn’t work with this type of infile.

I have already added to my $HOME/.bashrc the lines:

# For the Renoise CDP tool
  export CDP_SOUND_EXT=wav

Do you have any ideas about this? I’ll also ask at the CDP forum as well.

Thank you so much for helping me get this far. Already having a lot of fun with the (few) tools that I can use.

Hello!

Ah, I see you are also on Ubuntu 16.04. I also had some trouble, but for now most effects are working nicely for me. Well, some are not so, I don’t know now which ones are troublesome, but this tool isn’t 100% feature complete yet after all I guess. Most do their job, and I haven’t explored them all yet. Regarding your screenshot, the blur avrg command works nicely for me, it is a very good effect, for example on percussions, smoothing and whitening them up drastically without making them loose punch, with overlap at 4 and the pvoc bands at least at 4096.

I also had some Trouble with compiling, also lacking many of the effects and having others broken. The compile script also sucks because it prints no real error message, it was done very simple I think. But, I found out what the problem was (incompatibility with “newer” gcc compiler versions) and was able to fix it editing some build scripts. You can find a patch from me in this thread, in this post: https://forum.renoise.com/t/new-tool-3-0-cdp-lua-tool/41466 - I fear you will have to compile the cdp modules again. But if you still have the sources from the first build, maybe it will work just applying the patch and compiling again.

If everything went right, you should have 148 files in the “CDPrelease7src/dev/Release/” folder. The “mchiter” program is among the files that wouldn’t get compiled without my patch.

Also the “.bashrc” thing won’t work on newer ubuntus. I did something else, I added the line “CDP_SOUND_EXT=wav” to another file in my user directory named “~/.pam_environment”. You can create it with just that line if it isn’t there already. Then log out of your user account, and in again. In a terminal, the command “echo $CDP_SOUND_EXT” should output “wav”, then you’re ready to go.

Feel free to ask if you have any questions regarding these fixes or any further problems. If you got all the files and blur avrg works after the pam environment fix, and other tools don’t work, please name them here, I’d look into them if I find the time to do so.

Someone should deffinately update the howto blog with this info, as the info there doesn’t apply to new ubuntus anymore.

Thanks a lot OopsIFly,

That did it! I am really excited!

I would be really happy to update the Linux tutorial - it only needs a couple of lines of clarification. I’ll post them in the comments section.

If anybody is in contact with the author, we could ask them to include them in the article.

I really appreciate that you made this tool, and that you took the time to help me out.

All the best,

Adrienne

The Renoise blog (https://www.renoise.com/blog/linux-cdp-tool-guide) is blocking my comment as spam - so I will post my summary of important knowledge for Linux users here:

Hi Paul,

This tutorial is really helpful, but there are a couple of things that have changed which Linux users can benefit from knowing about

1. Firstly, the CDP Linux compiler doesn’t work that well. A forum user OopsIFly has created a patch to fix the compiler.

After you have unpacked the archive containing the Linux sources for CDP into your source directory, download the following file and place it in your source directory.

http://forum.renoise.com/index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_id=7260

Rename the file from “CDP_Libmfix.diff.txt” to “CDP_Libmfix.diff” (without the quotes “”)

In the terminal, go to your src directory. Execute the following command:

patch -p1 < CDP_Libmfix.diff

If the patch works successfully, continue with the instructions above (eg “satisfy the need for libaaio”)

1. Quoting OopsIFly: “the “.bashrc” thing won’t work on newer ubuntus. I did something else, I added the line “CDP_SOUND_EXT=wav” to another file in my user directory named “~/.pam_environment”. You can create it with just that line if it isn’t there already. Then log out of your user account, and in again. In a terminal, the command “echo $CDP_SOUND_EXT” should output “wav”, then you’re ready to go.”

Everything else should work fine.

One other thing which was confusing me, is about how to create a new sample that CDP can use for the output. I was just clicking on the “+” symbol next to the instrument slots in the Renoise sampler. What is important, is to choose or create an instrument slot, but then in the window where the waveform is represented (where the text says “No Sample Selected”), right click and choose “Create Sample”. Now you can use this empty sample as an output for CDP.

I didn’t make the tool, I just found out how to make it work for myself & wanted to share.

Have fun with all the unusual effects!

Some, I notice, are present in the Renoise CDP Tool drop down menu but are not present in the binaries I compiled (eg mchiter).

For your interest, even if you get it compiled, mchiter is one of the many multi-channel type of processes, stuff that electro-acoustic composers use to send sounds to arrays of >2 speakers :slight_smile: . Cdp’s multi-channel output files aren’t supported by Renoise, therefore where possible for these processes, output channels are limited to 2, so you can’t really take advantage of what they are intended for. Maybe in a future version, >2 channel output can be automatically divided across multiple output files in Renoise?

In any case I suggest keeping the manual/docs opened next to using the tool and keep an eye on the terminal output in the tool gui if there are any parameter mis-settings.

Okay, thanks a lot for the info. I will go deep.

Hey,

I’ve been messing around with some stuff after a while, but I’m getting some strange crashes with v 0.68 on Win 8.1. Fastconv and Reverb exe’s crash as soon as I hit “process” button. Most of the other processes (blur, distort etc) work fine.

Also love the new envelope editor :yeah:

Hey,

I’ve been messing around with some stuff after a while, but I’m getting some strange crashes with v 0.68 on Win 8.1. Fastconv and Reverb exe’s crash as soon as I hit “process” button. Most of the other processes (blur, distort etc) work fine.

From;http://unstablesound.net/cdpforum/index.php?topic=14.0 , try overwriting the buggy processes with these; http://people.bath.ac.uk/masrwd/r7PCrebuilds.zip

From;http://unstablesound.net/cdpforum/index.php?topic=14.0 , try overwriting the buggy processes with these; http://people.bath.ac.uk/masrwd/r7PCrebuilds.zip

Thanks, that sounds like it but I’m getting a 404 error when I try to dl that :S

Thanks, that sounds like it but I’m getting a 404 error when I try to dl that :S

Mmmm, could be they’ve already replaced the faulty processes in the main cdp install file? Have you tried re-installing with the latest package (25/07/16)?http://www.unstablesound.net/downloads/cdpr71win32-07-16.zip

Mmmm, could be they’ve already replaced the faulty processes in the main cdp install file? Have you tried re-installing with the latest package (25/07/16)?http://www.unstablesound.net/downloads/cdpr71win32-07-16.zip

That did the trick, thanks!

I just bought renoise for a few of its great features but also mainly for the CDP Interface which I think looks better than the reaper version and definitely better than Soundloom.

Anyways, I can’t get CDP interface to work. I keep getting this message:

“An output file was not produced - Check your settings”

I’m running the newest version of Renoise and I’m running OS X Sierra on an iMac.

If anyone could help or point to some posts within these 17 pages that could help,

it would be much appreciated.

I’ve tried moving the CDP folder around and reinstalling the tool but to no avail.

Thanks.

Do all processes give this notice? For example, does ‘distort average’ work, opposed to a fft process like ‘blur average’? I think if you read back the last few pages here, you’ll find the solution…9 out of 10 times it has to do with setting so called environment values, with how-to’s differing per OS (version). Not on a mac myself, maybe someone who has recently got it working on OSX can chime in?

Do all processes give this notice? For example, does ‘distort average’ work, opposed to a fft process like ‘blur average’? I think if you read back the last few pages here, you’ll find the solution…9 out of 10 times it has to do with setting so called environment values, with how-to’s differing per OS (version). Not on a mac myself, maybe someone who has recently got it working on OSX can chime in?

yes all the algorithms give me the same error messages and I have tried processing with the default values and with slightly altered values.

Running the newest available versions of OS X, CDP, Renoise and CDP Interface.

I followed the manual config document as well.

also using mono files.

I am trying to use cdp in Renoise, but I always get the same message: “An output file was not produced - check your settings”.

Well, i have been doing it, but the same message pops up. I have already read and done everything from the installation guide, but still the same problem.

I am using Renoise Demo 64bit v3.1.0 in Ubuntu Studio 16.04 and also on mac Yosemite.

I also get this message on Mac:

ERROR: INVALID DATA
ERROR: Cannot open output file /var/folders/84/522q4t5x2b70q3bg8_zggkvw0000gn/T/Renoise-0-1372/Renoise_TmpFile-0-135.ana
ERROR: INVALID DATA
ERROR: Cannot open output file /var/folders/84/522q4t5x2b70q3bg8_

I’ve gone through all the most recent instructions…

Still getting the message above.

tried this too:

http://vorpalsound.c…dp-setup-guide/

is it still relevant?

I got it working!

from the CDP forum:

jaapblonk

• star.gif
    • profile_sm.gif
    • email_sm.gif
    • im_off.gif

xx.gif
Re: Error during “Run process”
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2017, 11:55:53 AM »

For me the CDP 7.1 download helped. On the main CDP page (http://www.unstablesound.net/cdp.html) is the following instruction:

These are updates to all CDP soundfile programs (apart from the Windows GUI ones), with the all-important modification to sfsys to make the environment variable CDP_SOUND_EXT optional, defaulting to wav. It also restores proper behaviour preserving sample type (24bit, floats etc) and use of the -f prefix for output files, which had somehow got lost in the previous release.
The change to the environment variable essentially means programs can now be used directly without an installation/configuration step. Just copy all executables to the existing _cdprogs folder.

It was too simple… Basically Sierra only likes the 7.1 version.\

But theres no full install for 7.1 so you just install the ‘Mac software’

on the right hand column [of unstable tools DL site] and then add

the 7.1 folder [which is just the algorithms] and drag it in to the

the existing folder to update it.

delete CDP tool. reinstall and point it to the new folder [which has a slightly different name.]

you can keep the old _cdprogs folder in there. doesn’t matter.

I have mine installed in my home directory.

No funny business with the terminal required.

So pumped! It took 2 days to install this but it works!

i updated from Renoise 2.0 to 3.1 specifically to get the latest version of this tool.

it is very nice, certainly more intuitive than the other OSX alternatives.

the screenshot for an in-development version 2 is very enticing.

that SoundShaper style grid multi-effect patcher looks like just the ticket.

i’m really looking forward to that (however long away it may be).

thanks for your hard workDjeroek!

thanks for your hard workDjeroek!

Cheers, but Afta has created the tool! He deserves most kudos :slight_smile: (some background info; https://www.facebook.com/hiekamatiek/posts/717818141606516:0 ).
I haven’t communicated with him in a while, so not sure about the state of development of the new version. Perhaps when a new Renoise drops, with lua engine upgrades, to-do / cool stuff for the tool is easier to realize?

Cheers, but Afta has created the tool! He deserves most kudos :slight_smile: (some background info; https://www.facebook.com/hiekamatiek/posts/717818141606516:0 ).
I haven’t communicated with him in a while, so not sure about the state of development of the new version. Perhaps when a new Renoise drops, with lua engine upgrades, to-do / cool stuff for the tool is easier to realize?

aha! thanks to Afta too! 17 page threads are hard for me to follow.
hoping Afta feels inspired by this project again someday soon.