New Tool (3.0): dBatchProcess

Yes, this would be handy. batch process is getting a lot of love in my workflow now. good stuff.

Thanks @Jonas for the updated presets. will try installing!

OK, this is dope. Lots of good stuff in here. Big up @Jonas !!! :fire:

1 Like

Cheers :beers: .

I’ve quickly looked into comparing tools that can be keybinded with dbatch and always see something like:

"
renoise.tool():add_keybinding {
name = “Global:Tools:” … tool_name…“…”,
invoke = start_tool
}
"
…in those tool. Simply copy & pasting above code into dbatch main script throws up an error though, so more is needed :slight_smile: . If someone willing and able can throw a hint that be cool otherwise I’ll trial & error it coming weekend.

So adding some lines to main.lua like:

name = "Global:Tools: Batch process ...",
  invoke = function() show_dialog(true) end
}

maybe would give you a Global:Tools:Batch process preferences keybind(?)

2 Likes

Legendary! Adding this works :slight_smile:

1 Like

@Jonas Any chance you can post up the altered xrnx? Would be great to have the keybind, and I haven’t the foggiest about coding :upside_down_face:

Perhaps it is handy for you to also be able to access the scripting terminal & editor, if you haven’t enabled this already? So you can paste in 4teys code above yourself and also be able to access & save new presets in the preset file.

First open up Renoise and go to “Help” , “Show the Preferences Folder”:

In the preferences folder open up the Config.xml file in for example notepad, and search for the word “show”, you’re looking for a sentence where you can enable the scripting terminal, changing “false” to “true” and saving the config file afterwards;

After having done so and booting Renoise back up, you’ll now find the terminal entry in the tools tab in the top of the gui;

Opening this entry you can now look for the dbatch process script in the tools tree on the left, click on the arrow icon to show what is inside;

Double click “main.lua” to see the code, I’ve pasted 4teys code somewhere around line 54, underneath the green text bit;

Now all you have to do is press execute in the bottom right of the editor window so your changes are saved.

Perhaps you can create some cool presets, stringing the different command line options into something more personal? Check out the Sox webpage for what the different effects accept syntax wise ( http://sox.sourceforge.net/sox.html#EFFECTS ). I just made separate entries of each effect, but these can also be stringed together, one after another and saved as a preset in the presets.lua file in the terminal.

3 Likes

Thank you for this @Jonas. I am having some trouble getting the value change to stick, meaning, I am altering the config.xml to read true for showscriptingdevelopmenttools and then saving it (tried using both xmplify and textedit), but on renoise quit and restart, it reverts back to false and the Scripting terminal option remains invisible… Any ideas what I might be doing wrong, or what could be causing it to revert back to false?

Thanks

1 Like

Hmm, no idea, been a while since I’ve saved it. Do you have renoise open in the background while saving? Does it matter if Renoise is closed or not while editing and saving the .config? @taktik any ideas?

1 Like

Thanks! yes, that was the problem. I had renoise open still, which must have returned the value to the default “false”
It’s working now (terminal visible)

Got the keybinding added, brilliant! Thanks again for all of your help!!! :beers:

I’ll see about crafting some presets, there are definitely some useful sequences of operations that would be nice to string together ie, normalize-> fade in/out → trim silence would be great to have as one process

1 Like

Hey there, I installed SoX and have set it as a environment variable on my system as well. I installed the tool and followed the descriptions above but nothings happens. Running Renoise as administrator do not help.

Any idea why? I would love to have this tool at hand… Win10, latest Renoise

EDIT: Solved: user error as expected :smiley: I’ve set the wrong path in the tool to locate the SoX folder :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

In addition to make the tool accessible for keybindings I’ve put it into the tools toolbar as well. So everyone interested just add those two instructions:

name = "Global:Tools: Batch Process ...",
  invoke = function() show_dialog(true) end
}

renoise.tool():add_menu_entry{
  name="Main Menu:Tools: Batch Process ...",
  invoke=function() show_dialog(true) end
}

Thanks to the original author for integrating SoX in Renoise :love_you_gesture:t4:

Hey there, I make my own presets for this tool and I tried different command-line’s and while all of them are working (at least the one I need) I can’t manage to simply concatenate a bunch of slices. I don’t want to do something fancy just chain all the samples within a given instrument to one file. Anyone experienced enough to help out? The web could not help …

Can you share the command line input? I don’t think multiple in & output files is supported in Renoise.

Have added a couple more a while ago;
presets.lua (112.6 KB)

Perhaps you can add yours to the latest file above if it isn’t already there and share the presets file here? :sunglasses:

1 Like

I do not understand? The tool is calling SoX right? So it’s about the Renoie API?

In SoX I tried different command lines. According to the documentation there is Input File Combining with different approaches. I tried a couple of variations with examples I found in the web.

I got your presets. Thanks. Yeah I will share my presets once they are done. I focus on dynamics and filtering and also try to get “compand” to run

What are you trying to do exactly, concatenate slices from the same instrument? How do you specify multiple input files from Renoise in Sox, named how? Are the slices rendered destructively, does it matter for what you’re trying to do?

I’m not sure how, under what name, Renoise sends different samples from the same instrument to a tool, @taktik can you help here?

Keep in mind I have barely no coding experience. I though since it can batch it’s easy to chain the samples. What I want to achieve:

• taking a bunch of breaks (manual)
  • slice them up (manual)
  • put the favorite slices into one instrument (manual)
  • run SoX: take samples and concatenate them to one new file in the order they set in the sample list

by the way… any idea on how to make the window of the dBatch tool resizable?
Doesn’t have to be fully resizable but would be neat to have a better view on the command line.
I resized some elements but the that the text for the command line is in the middle is bothering me… how to align the text? I tried “align” command via scripting but no success. This is not just a cosmetic issue as the text is not wrapped and long command lines are difficult to read.
Would also nice to execute “Process sample!” by hitting enter in the command line
Screenshot 2022-04-17 125235

batch process was working great until it wasn’t…
now every time I try to use it I get the following error message:
Screen Shot 2022-09-13 at 6.28.41 AM

anyone have any ideas on how to fix this?

NVM got it figured, just had to restart renoise