New Tool (3.0): dBatchProcess

^This would be awesome! I was never able to get CDP working (on MacOS) and am still drooling after the functionality

I’m not super computer literate with command line interface… how does one install SoX?

OK, I managed to install SoX, but can’t seem to locate the executable to point the path to. Anyone have any ideas where I should be looking? macOS 10.14

any help is much appreciated!

Work if you keep the path text field completely blank? (btw I no nothing about macOSX)

1 Like

it does not, unfortunately

in terminal, if I input “which sox”, it yields “usr/local/bin/sox” so I believe it has been successfully installed. If I use that as the path (with a slash after sox), however, batch process returns “WARNING: no output file produced, loading input file…”

Anyone got this working on a mac?

So I assume you can go to a terminal and just type:

sox

and it runs(?)

yes

but that doesn’t seem to impact how the batch process tool (doesn’t) function

Actually, just got it figured out!!

the path should be usr/local/bin/
the sox part is covered by the command

All I can say is that in Linux it found sox at /usr/bin/ and seemed okay. Sry.

1 Like

All good, just got it figured. See above

psyched to have this tool available. I end up doing a lot of resampling and it’s often tedious work normalizing and fading in/out the many samples generated

this will free up more time for actual music making :slight_smile:

NOW, if I can just get CDP working… @Jonas, hope you do a reworking of it!!!

Hold your horses :slight_smile: , definitely not a reworking as I can’t code, more or less an attempt to hack in a way to get the sox working inside the cdp tool to create sox presets with sliders, buttons etc. Problem with the sox documentation is that for a lot of processes the min and max limits aren’t mentioned, so you end up with a lot of trial and error getting value limits right. It would be a lot more flexible though with gui control, instead of altering presets in dBatchProcess.

Besides the documentation, the effects aren’t that exotic like with some of the CDP ones, definitely usable. For now I’m adding more presets to the dBatchProcess tool and will share them here when ready enough, although fixed you can change values for experimentation plus the batch functionality is where dBatch shines.

3 Likes

presets.lua (110.0 KB)

I’ve added a bunch of presets to the batchprocess tools preset list, some cool stuff there imo :sunglasses: offering timestretching, pitch mangling & synth tone generating stuff. Replace the presets.lua file in the dbatchprocess tools folder with the one that can be downloaded above. At least, that’s how I think it could install inside?

Would be cool if these presets could be stringed in some kind of order somehow, like if they’d be numbered, you could make an order that could run in sequence, processing the selected sample or all samples in the sample list of an instrument (pretty please @ReDread :slight_smile: ).

What I don’t get is why I can’t find the tool in the edit/preferences/keys shortcut assignment tab in Renoise while it does have a ~ icon before it in the right mouse click window? I’d like to assign a keyboard shortcut somehow.

3 Likes

Yes, this would be handy. batch process is getting a lot of love in my workflow now. good stuff.

Thanks @Jonas for the updated presets. will try installing!

OK, this is dope. Lots of good stuff in here. Big up @Jonas !!! :fire:

1 Like

Cheers :beers: .

I’ve quickly looked into comparing tools that can be keybinded with dbatch and always see something like:

"
renoise.tool():add_keybinding {
name = “Global:Tools:” … tool_name…“…”,
invoke = start_tool
}
"
…in those tool. Simply copy & pasting above code into dbatch main script throws up an error though, so more is needed :slight_smile: . If someone willing and able can throw a hint that be cool otherwise I’ll trial & error it coming weekend.

So adding some lines to main.lua like:

name = "Global:Tools: Batch process ...",
  invoke = function() show_dialog(true) end
}

maybe would give you a Global:Tools:Batch process preferences keybind(?)

2 Likes

Legendary! Adding this works :slight_smile:

1 Like

@Jonas Any chance you can post up the altered xrnx? Would be great to have the keybind, and I haven’t the foggiest about coding :upside_down_face:

Perhaps it is handy for you to also be able to access the scripting terminal & editor, if you haven’t enabled this already? So you can paste in 4teys code above yourself and also be able to access & save new presets in the preset file.

First open up Renoise and go to “Help” , “Show the Preferences Folder”:

In the preferences folder open up the Config.xml file in for example notepad, and search for the word “show”, you’re looking for a sentence where you can enable the scripting terminal, changing “false” to “true” and saving the config file afterwards;

After having done so and booting Renoise back up, you’ll now find the terminal entry in the tools tab in the top of the gui;

Opening this entry you can now look for the dbatch process script in the tools tree on the left, click on the arrow icon to show what is inside;

Double click “main.lua” to see the code, I’ve pasted 4teys code somewhere around line 54, underneath the green text bit;

Now all you have to do is press execute in the bottom right of the editor window so your changes are saved.

Perhaps you can create some cool presets, stringing the different command line options into something more personal? Check out the Sox webpage for what the different effects accept syntax wise ( http://sox.sourceforge.net/sox.html#EFFECTS ). I just made separate entries of each effect, but these can also be stringed together, one after another and saved as a preset in the presets.lua file in the terminal.

3 Likes

Thank you for this @Jonas. I am having some trouble getting the value change to stick, meaning, I am altering the config.xml to read true for showscriptingdevelopmenttools and then saving it (tried using both xmplify and textedit), but on renoise quit and restart, it reverts back to false and the Scripting terminal option remains invisible… Any ideas what I might be doing wrong, or what could be causing it to revert back to false?

Thanks

1 Like

Hmm, no idea, been a while since I’ve saved it. Do you have renoise open in the background while saving? Does it matter if Renoise is closed or not while editing and saving the .config? @taktik any ideas?

1 Like

Thanks! yes, that was the problem. I had renoise open still, which must have returned the value to the default “false”
It’s working now (terminal visible)

Got the keybinding added, brilliant! Thanks again for all of your help!!! :beers:

I’ll see about crafting some presets, there are definitely some useful sequences of operations that would be nice to string together ie, normalize-> fade in/out → trim silence would be great to have as one process

1 Like

Hey there, I installed SoX and have set it as a environment variable on my system as well. I installed the tool and followed the descriptions above but nothings happens. Running Renoise as administrator do not help.

Any idea why? I would love to have this tool at hand… Win10, latest Renoise

EDIT: Solved: user error as expected :smiley: I’ve set the wrong path in the tool to locate the SoX folder :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

In addition to make the tool accessible for keybindings I’ve put it into the tools toolbar as well. So everyone interested just add those two instructions:

name = "Global:Tools: Batch Process ...",
  invoke = function() show_dialog(true) end
}

renoise.tool():add_menu_entry{
  name="Main Menu:Tools: Batch Process ...",
  invoke=function() show_dialog(true) end
}

Thanks to the original author for integrating SoX in Renoise :love_you_gesture:t4: