New Tool (3.0): Mod / Xm Converter

The note timing issue is due to the usage of delay column on original xrns; actually the Renoise delay column works in a different way than xm. (The latter works with ticks per line).

I’m currently working on a new version that should parse the xrns delay column also, but it would be just a trick to make it fit as much as possible.

So, for the moment, what you can do is to use Qxx command instead thatis fully compatible with xm.

http://tutorials.renoise.com/wiki/Effect_Commands

Best regards

Fabrizio

Thanks, the parts we’re played live on a piano, which is why they are all naturally delayed like that, any trick would be a major improvement as far as delay goes. Is there a way of currently converting delay to Qxx in Renoise/using Qxx instead of the delay column. If not, do you have a version of the tool ready for me to test? :smiley:

Thanks, the parts we’re played live on a piano, which is why they are all naturally delayed like that, any trick would be a major improvement as far as delay goes. Is there a way of currently converting delay to Qxx in Renoise/using Qxx instead of the delay column. If not, do you have a version of the tool ready for me to test? :smiley:

Given the following formula

255 : current ticks = delay value : x.

if you module has a 6 ticks per row, and at a row n you have a delay value of hex F3 (DEC 243 ),

you can obtain the relative Q command:

x = 6 * 243 / 255
x = 5,717

since 5.717 is closer to 6 but you’d not listen anythiing because your current tpr = 6,

you could try by using Q05 value.

Best regards

Fabrizio

Given the following formula

255 : current ticks = delay value : x.

if you module has a 6 ticks per row, and at a row n you have a delay value of hex F3 (DEC 243 ),

you can obtain the relative Q command:

x = 6 * 243 / 255
x = 5,717

since 5.717 is closer to 6 but you’d not listen anythiing because your current tpr = 6,

you could try by using Q05 value.

Best regards

Fabrizio

Thanks so much for that, can I use a formula tool to convert all of the recorded lines into Qxx? I had a look to see if there was a tool available for converting but I couldn’t see anything.

Thanks so much for that, can I use a formula tool to convert all of the recorded lines into Qxx? I had a look to see if there was a tool available for converting but I couldn’t see anything.

Honestly I don’t know;

Btw I think I’ll release the new version within this week.

Honestly I don’t know;

Oh please, that would be perfect if you could!! :smiley: :smiley:

Honestly I don’t know;

If you need to test it with something, that xrns I sent you could be useful to try and match as close as possible.

I’ve already implemented the wrapping of renoise delay column, however I’ve found a mess with song implementing the old module engine where the change of ticks are not wrapped correctly.

This not should delay the release of new version, however I need a bit of more time to test all possible cases.

In the meanwhile, this is your xm parsed with the new test version:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/bs37epyjcgfr8i5/testicelz.xm?dl=0

It sounds definitely better I guess :walkman:

I’ve already implemented the wrapping of renoise delay column, however I’ve found a mess with song implementing the old module engine where the change of ticks are not wrapped correctly.

This not should delay the release of new version, however I need a bit of more time to test all possible cases.

In the meanwhile, this is your xm parsed with the new test version:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/bs37epyjcgfr8i5/testicelz.xm?dl=0

It sounds definitely better I guess :walkman:

Wow, that’s a massive improvement!! Thank you so much, I think this is actually even better than it sounded in renoise :wacko: the timing seems to slightly more quantized in a very pleasing way, can’t wait for the new release!! :yeah:

hello fabrizio!

nice work, definatly nice work!! … just so you know, there is a protracker update coming up on amiga. v2.3e. it’ll have 128kb sample support.

as far as i know, there is no change in the fileformat.

and now to my question. are you able coding a tool which converts a mod almost 1:1 to xrns?

renoise loads/converts mods and a view xm’s really bad. renoise portamento slide conversion is very bad and causes alot of rework
if you want to remaster a mod in renoise.

would it be much of work to code a tool which is capable of convertig the slides to any renoise command so that the slides sound as the original slides on amiga?

even ft2 doesn’t really get it done, no matter if you use the amiga linear table or whatever setting that was :slight_smile:

greets!

hello fabrizio!

nice work, definatly nice work!! … just so you know, there is a protracker update coming up on amiga. v2.3e. it’ll have 128kb sample support.
as far as i know, there is no change in the fileformat.

Oh my, until yesterday I thought I had to worry only about Renoise updates :blink:
This sounds interesting by the way, I hope the fileformat won’t change so much

and now to my question. are you able coding a tool which converts a mod almost 1:1 to xrns?
renoise loads/converts mods and a view xm’s really bad. renoise portamento slide conversion is very bad and causes alot of rework
if you want to remaster a mod in renoise.

would it be much of work to code a tool which is capable of convertig the slides to any renoise command so that the slides sound as the original slides on amiga?
even ft2 doesn’t really get it done, no matter if you use the amiga linear table or whatever setting that was [:)]

greets!

This is a critical point, because there are a lot of variables through the note played in mod (for example the frequency of the sample played).
I’ll keep in mind as the next challenge by the way.

For the moment, I’m doing some fixes and add for the next version (and a fix to a major bug implying ticks not correctly calculated if <> 6)

Greets
Fabrizio

I’d like to help produce better documentation for using the converter on Macs. I’m a programmer but rather out of my depth with Mono: but if I can get it to work I can tell others.

Mostly I’d like to be able to run the converter from the menu in Renoise, but if Terminal commands are necessary I’ll deal with it.

I’m much less concerned with accurately translating a Renoise file: what I’m looking to do is use Renoise to compose for the game engine Unity. If I can export from Renoise and lose information, I can audition what’s left and make any corrections needed.

I do want to do this but I’m not sure quite where to start given that I want to run it from the menu in Renoise…

I’d like to help produce better documentation for using the converter on Macs. I’m a programmer but rather out of my depth with Mono: but if I can get it to work I can tell others.

Mostly I’d like to be able to run the converter from the menu in Renoise, but if Terminal commands are necessary I’ll deal with it.

Honestly I’m not skilled using Mono, I was able to get it work undex linux so I think on Macs should more or less the same thing even if I never tried it
(see documentation ).

By the way, if you have managed to make it work with mac using mono, I’d like to know if there’s any difference with linux so I can update the tool - you can give a look inside the xrnx at converter.lua script (command_line variable).

New version of the tool released, with a few fixes and a menu for quickly load the example files found in the xrns2xmod bundle.
Download new xrns2xmod release at
Http://xrns2xmod.codeplex.com

Xrns2XMod 4.0.0.0 released

• Rewritten portamento algorithm for MOD: Converted module now play the correct note regardless the played frequency.
  • Adjusted portamento algorithm for XM
  • Removed “Convert all frequency samples to 8363” option. Use Instrument Settings instead
  • Added “Portamento accuracy treshold” for MOD
  • Some UI improvements
  • Renoise tool improvements (added “Check latest version” menu)

Xrns2XMod 4.0.0.0 released

• Rewritten portamento algorithm for MOD: Converted module now play the correct note regardless the played frequency.
  • Adjusted portamento algorithm for XM
  • Removed “Convert all frequency samples to 8363” option. Use Instrument Settings instead
  • Added “Portamento accuracy treshold” for MOD
  • Some UI improvements
  • Renoise tool improvements (added “Check latest version” menu)

Thanks @Zenon ! :guitar:

Just a brief update:

Uploaded binaries of the cli for Win / Linux / Mac OS X here.

Read for the steps described here to make Xrns2XMod work.

where is the xrns2xmodui.exe file??

Windows UI was removed with the new releases, use the renoise tool instead.

ah thanks. wasn’t sure about why it’s gone. haven’t found any infos online.
also, no explanation about the sinc options. whats the best value for converting samplerates?
32 pt sinc too much?

Trying to use this tool for the first time and for some reason, the “Create New” options are disabled:

Even in a completely empty song with only 1 track, no VST effects anywhere, not even a sample loaded, the options are disabled. Also, the “Check latest version” option dumps the following error into the scripting terminal:

[ERROR] https://www.godaddy.com:443/forsale/www.godaddy.com?utm_source=TDFS_BINNS&utm_medium=BINNS&utm_campaign=TDFS_BINNS&traffic_type=TDFS_BINNS&traffic_id=binns&utm_source=TDFS_BINNS&utm_medium=BINNS&utm_campaign=TDFS_BINNS&traffic_type=TDFS_BINNS&traffic_id=binns&utm_source=TDFS_BINNS&utm_medium=BINNS&utm_campaign=TDFS_BINNS&traffic_type=TDFS_BINNS&traffic_id=binns&utm_source=TDFS_BINNS&utm_medium=BINNS&utm_campaign=TDFS_BINNS&traffic_type=TDFS_BINNS&traffic_id=binns&utm_source=TDFS_BINNS&utm_medium=BINNS&utm_campaign=TDFS_BINNS&traffic_type=TDFS_BINNS&traffic_id=binns&utm_source=TDFS_BINNS&utm_medium=BINNS&utm_campaign=TDFS_BINNS&traffic_type=TDFS_BINNS&traffic_id=binns&utm_source=TDFS_BINNS&utm_medium=BINNS&utm_campaign=TDFS_BINNS&traffic_type=TDFS_BINNS&traffic_id=binns&utm_source=TDFS_BINNS&utm_medium=BINNS&utm_campaign=TDFS_BINNS&traffic_type=TDFS_BINNS&traffic_id=binns&utm_source=TDFS_BINNS&utm_medium=BINNS&utm_campaign=TDFS_BINNS&traffic_type=TDFS_BINNS&traffic_id=binns&utm_source=TDFS_BINNS&utm_medium=BINNS&utm_campaign=TDFS_BINNS&traffic_type=TDFS_BINNS&traffic_id=binns&utm_source=TDFS_BINNS&utm_medium=BINNS&utm_campaign=TDFS_BINNS&traffic_type=TDFS_BINNS&traffic_id=binns& send header failed: Too many redirects detected..
[ERROR] Too many redirects detected.

Please let me know how I can be of assistance to debug this very promising tool! :slight_smile: